Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
Tom from Drippin'

Default Re: victoria colors

Don't make the same mistake I did.
When I painted mine (the leatherback on a dolly in Brick's post) I "forgot" to paint the reveals at the windows, lower body color.
"Head up and locked".
Old 12-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
Bick in New Zealand

A Man & his Wife bought a NEW Victoria & she was too CHEEP to pay $5.00 each, to paint the wheels on her side, in Apple Green!
A friend of mine now owns the car, it has BLACK wheels on the R/H side & YEP, you guessed it, Apple Green on the L/H side!

That Vicky was restored by the late Ed Christopher ( ex MAFCA director and driver of the Minnehaha Fire Chief roadster) I have some original photos of it that Ed gave to me years ago, when I first got my Vicky. Your friend is welcome to them if he is interested.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #23
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerA View Post
Here is mine in Chicle and Copra. Note the color is different from what you normally see for this combination. My thanks to Ken Ehrenhofer for a tremendous amount of research and work to get this matched to original.
Have always loved that color combo, i am liking the creme and tan up there too!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Marco posted a color change car picture he did. You could change the colors on the car to see which one you liked best. I hope someone can find the link to it.
This chart was very beneficial to me. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #25
Bob Wright

When were finishing the restoration of our Victoria 190A the color choice was Brewster Medium paint and we couldn't have been more pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Violetta 10th Anniv. Party.jpg (59.4 KB, 42 views)
Bob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #26
Bob Bidonde

Badger A, that is a beautiful 190A paint scheme on your car. You would be doing our hobby a great service by publishing the color codes for your Copra and Chickle Drabs. As you likely know, the colr chips in the repaint manual are not correct.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Vicky

Our Vicky is Copra and Chickle Drab as well. Interestingly, there is a 30 Victoria in Cheyenne with the same color combination, and if they are parked together, the colors match really well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.6 KB, 23 views)
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #28
art ebeling

An update; I have spent two days going to paint suppliers with my paint and finish guide and have been told by all of them the chips are too small scan with the PPG profit system or the Marten Senior dominater syster and the Standox system. The best I have gotten is on record Dupont codes, numbers such as ds115,ds 118 etc. that when compared to the chips in the paint and finish guide are close but not dead on. Whats a guy to do? Looking at Elpoint and Kewanee greens and Brewster green. I have Mitch's Ford maroon formula. I want to spray a sample of each of them using base coat clear coat.
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I get the chips from the paint and finish guide scanned all the time.....I dont get it
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #30
art ebeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I get the chips from the paint and finish guide scanned all the time.....I dont get it
I dont get it either. Do you have those codes?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #31
Bick in New Zealand

This was posted by Ron Ehrenhofer a while back, and I saved it in case I want to repaint my Coupe sometime in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chicle%20and%20copra%20drab%20formula%20001.jpg (40.6 KB, 43 views)

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #32
Tom from Drippin'

PPG has two different colors "Brewster Green" and "Brewster Green Medium".
I think the "Brewster Green" is more like Kewanee (sp?) or Elkpoint Green ( whichever is the dark one).
I used "Brewster Green Medium" which in low light, appears almost black.
I believe the PPG # to be DCC 1017 (that's the number I can still read on the old label). I used their Concepts single stage, acrylic urethane.
When I was trying to decide, I had PPG give me one pint of both of each their "Brewsters" and I used their samples as the first coat on the underside of the hood. To me the "Medium" was the one.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This is old and I don't know if the codes are valid anymore with new types of paint,

Paint codes from Model A news 12 years ago
Old 12-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #34
art ebeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
This is old and I don't know if the codes are valid anymore with new types of paint,

Paint codes from Model A news 12 years ago
Those Dupont codes are for their stock paint chips of lighter shades of each color such as you would find in a house paint store. Each one is close but not exact to the paint and finish guide chips and the next one in the series is either too dark or too light. I'm being told those PPG codes can't be mixed because the toners are obsolete, except for one or two that are available in waterbase only. Again, picking a color off a color wheel is not what I had in mind when I went to get the paint and finish guide scanned. Those Dupont codes did cross ref to Standox but it seems like a copy of a copy, each time being a little less accurate. I thought with todays technology the Paint and Finish guide could be scanned and analyzed for a perfect match. I realize a close match can be tinted until it looks right but that just seems like so much guessing.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #35
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Contact Brent and bring this thread to. A close. Otherwise I will go on forever. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #36
larrys40

Art,
As we spoke about on the phone I would go down and look at Dales Victoria.. It is the Elkpoint and Kewanee green - matches the color book and his is Sherwin williams 2nd dimension. You can use another system but I like the Sherwin Williams 2nd dimension. The paint can be bought down here from the local SW shop which isn't all that far from you....

Worth the trip to check it out if you're interested in that color.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #37
art ebeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Art,
As we spoke about on the phone I would go down and look at Dales Victoria.. It is the Elkpoint and Kewanee green - matches the color book and his is Sherwin williams 2nd dimension. You can use another system but I like the Sherwin Williams 2nd dimension. The paint can be bought down here from the local SW shop which isn't all that far from you....

Worth the trip to check it out if you're interested in that color.
Larry Shepard
Larry, I plan on doing that. I called the Maryland Heights Sherwin Williams store to speak to Andrew but he was not working and will be in on Monday. I want to see Dales car and go see Andrew on the same trip but it has to be on a Friday which is my day off. Thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 01:01 AM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by art ebeling View Post
I thought with todays technology the Paint and Finish guide could be scanned and analyzed for a perfect match. I realize a close match can be tinted until it looks right but that just seems like so much guessing.
None on the scanning systems out there today will give a custom formula. They give the closest match to what they have in their data base of colors.

PROPHET 2 SPECTROPHOTOMETER

PPG have sets the standard in spectrophotometer electronic colour identification technology which is seen as the future of colour matching. The exclusive Prophet® II Colour Analyser is an easy to use device capable of scanning a painted surface to precisely measure its colour. It links to Paint Manager where innovative PPG software makes a rapid colour selection from primes, variants and specials. Ask a PPG Representative to explain how Prophet® II can make identifying the closest colour match as simple and fast as Click & Go!

Notice it does not say exact colour match but rather closest colour match.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #39
Mitch//pa
BANNED

It gives the percentage of match ,,so when i had the ford maroon scanned it was a 100% match to the chip. At that point i was confident of going with that particular color
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote