Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
JT1930

Default External voltage regulator

Fun Projects company makes a voltage regulator for a model A 6volt generator. They are backordered though. So my question is if I get rid of the stock cutout on the generator and get one of these 6volt external regulators and mount it on the firewall like most v8 guys do. Would that work if I wire it correctly? Just an idea or I’ll be having to wait for fun projects to catch up. Thanks all.

JT1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: External voltage regulator

Why not use the VR which looks (and acts) like a cutout? People put these on fine point cars and judges don't tell the difference.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...ound-only.html

Joe K
Old 06-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Why not use the VR which looks (and acts) like a cutout? People put these on fine point cars and judges don't tell the difference.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...ound-only.html

Joe K

That's the Fun Projects regulator and it's out of stock at Mac's also.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
JT1930

Exactly bob. I’m looking for an alternative since people must be in line for their product.

Joe my car is not a show car. I drive it 50/50 day/night.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
Joe K

Well, out of stock is hard to get past.

I know at least one respondant here (with a locomotive as his avatar) does conversions of Model A generators - the regulator is internal.

Another is mentioned at Vince Falter's site. He highly recommends one that is built on the "band" which covers the outboard end of the generator. See http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/generator.htm

I only name "show car" as some sort of standard. Many of us attempt to emulate "show appearance."

Joe K
Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
mfarley

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Get a hold of Tom Wesenberg. He's on this forum. He builds a regulator that goes underneath the steel band of the generator and you use either an original cutout or a diode conversion. I've been meaning to buy one from him for several months now. I've never gotten around to it with alternators on each car.
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
steve s

The answer to your question is, YES, I think so. I had one of those on-the-firewall regulators for many years although it was with a Delco generator with a modified bracket welded to fit. I don't know why the A generator wouldn't work. I had fried two previous A generators by pushing the 3rd brush to the max and then overcharging. Finally, my dad took it to an auto electric shop and told them to "fix this boy's car so he can drive it at night."

I remember we put a tractor armature in designed to start putting out at lower rpms. I think the original cutout might have been ok if I'd just driven with the headlights on during the day. In those days, my car had a tube radio, heater fan, sealed beam headlights, lots of other lights--worst case, total brown-out was to blow the horn during a sudden stop at night with heater and radio going. It doesn't take too much of that sort of screwing around to make you love alternators.

Last edited by steve s; 06-27-2019 at 08:26 AM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
jhowes

I have one of both (Tom W. and Fun projects, John's) They have worked fine for years now. Call Tom and see if he has any at this time. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
ryanheacox

I installed one of Tom Wessenberg's EVR's last month and apart from my mistakes it works great. Tom's installs on the end plate of the generator and does away with the 3rd brush entirely which is nice. You can use either a stock or diode cutout. He had some in stock for the common Model A generator when I got in touch with him.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
Badpuppy

For the external mechanical regulator you need access to the field winding inside the generator to connect the F terminal.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

The Fun Projects can style voltage regulator takes the place of the cut out . No modifications to the generator or access to the field coils are necessary !!!!!!! The Fun Projects voltage regulator looks just like the original cut out and mounts exactly the same way . Fun Projects voltage regulators are available in both six and twelve volt versions and acts just liker a modern car voltage regulator and keeps the battery from over charging . The third adjustable brush can still be used to control the charging rate I have used both six and twelve volt versions for over twenty years with no problems . Just because Macs doesn't have them doesn't mean that Fun Projects or others don't have them in stock . I would call Fun Projects and ask about availability . If a lot of high draw accessories must be used an alternastor would be a consideration .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #12
JT1930

After that lengthy comment purdy ***Fun projects is back ordered. ****. They also don’t have an idea of when they will be back in stock.

Don’t you think I’d get one of those right off the bat if it was in stock.

I’m starting to hate this forum because people can not read the original post and comment on what is asked in it.

Last edited by JT1930; 06-27-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
mfarley

[QUOTE]After that lengthy comment putty ***Fun projects is back ordered. ****

....been nearly a year now, too...
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

JT , just trying to help . If my input others you don't bother reading my posts !!! I shouldn't have wasted my time .
Old 06-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1930 View Post
I’m starting to hate this forum because people can not read the original post and comment on what is asked in it.
I know what you mean, but I hope you're able to lighten up or you'll miss out on a lot of interesting, helpful, and fun stuff (along with some drivel!). A lot of new participants are new to the hobby as well as to the forum, and appreciate being informed of options. It helps if you tip off readers as to things you've tried.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Thanks, Steve !!!
Old 06-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #17
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1930 View Post
Yup. That happens. We are a social group with lots of tech knowledge plus lots of seat-of-the-pants advice based on experience.

Most of the questions don't have a perfect answer but we all try. That's why they call it a Forum, I guess. That won't change so you will have to accept our different views.
Sometimes certain members do irritate others but all you have to do is to put them on your "blocked" list.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
JT1930

I guess. I know what a forum is and it just might be because there’s a lot of older people in this forum. I’ve been on other forums for faster cars and many are more tech savvy than in here. But never had a problem and people could read an original posted question and answer accordingly.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
Kurt in NJ

You can if the regulator matches the output of the generator--- a regulator for 35 amp generator connected to a 15 amp generator will regulate the the voltage, but won't regulate the amps to not burn up the generator
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #20
rotorwrench

None of the 3-brush generators are designed for a three pole controller. A person needs a 2-brush generator or convert a three brush to a 2-brush in a way that a 91A ford voltage regulator will control it. Those units have the volt regulator pole, a cut out pole, and a current limiter pole inside for a complete control of a properly configured 2-brush generator. If a person uses a GM generator or that type of configuration then it would need a GM type voltage regulator. Different manufacturers used different configurations to avoid legal infringement problems.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote