Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Body Parts Price List (repost)

Posted this a week or so back ... lots of lookers, but no responses ... apologize for cluttering up the forum, but would like some guidance ... many thanks!

Have been studying a copy of the 1 Dec 28 “Body Parts Price List” … coupla questions arise. It is my understanding that initial parts numbers did not have any suffix letters until a change was made (i.e., "AR", etc).

1. For an item of current interest to me, in the “Door” sublisting, I find two different numbers (sequentially some distance apart) for the same item:

A-35730-A Cardboard (door) assy. RH-Spanish Brown (the left panel is A-35731-A).
A-76730-R Cardboard (door) assy. RH-Black (the “R” does not appear to designate ‘right’ as the left panel is A-76731-R).
Although no dates of change are provided, is it appropriate to assume that the lower number would have been the initial number assigned; the higher number then assigned when the earlier one was phased out (i.e. brown, then black)?

2. Interestingly, in the ‘seat’ section, changes were identified by the more familiar letter changes; this time with AR (black) preceding B (brown)
A-77260-AR Cardboard (seat side panel) assy. RH-Black
A-77260-B Cardboard (seat side panel) assy. RH-Spanish Brown
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Body Parts Price List (repost)

Vince is correct but I'll add a little. Whether the suffix is -R, -AR, or -BR, the "R" suffix means "for repairs". That was Ford's way of saying it's no longer used in production or is obsolete.

As Vince noted the brown cardboard A-35730-A is a Phaeton (35-A) number as it was used there first (or concurrently) and the Phaeton body number is lower. the black cardboard carried an Open Cab (76-A) number as it was never used in a Phaeton (35-A) or Roadster(40-A).

The reason the seat cardboards carry the same number is they were used on the 76-A ONLY and don't fit anything else. The suffix shows the sequence AND shows the that by the time the book went to print, the black seat side cardboard was already obsolete.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Charles Reese

this is the kind of info i am looking for. i never thought about the association with 35/76. however, both of these numbers appear together in the 'open cab' section (sorry, i failed to mention this in my initial post). i assume this section was for the pickup as the next section is titled 'closed cab'. i therefore assume that there are other separate sections for the roadster and phaeton, etc (i only have photocopy of the open cab section). also, unfortunately, the 35/76 theory does not explain the '77' prefix that appears in the 'open cab-seat' section.

specifically, i have been trying to pinpoint the correct upholstery (brown vs. black) for my January 28 open pickup. i have a conflicting info from what i consider highly reliable sources.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Charles Reese

sorry marco ... i was typing my reply to the other post when you posted so i did not see it in time.. both explainations are really helpful in my understanding of the price list info.

i am curious tho as to why the 35 (phaeton) numbers would be listed in the 'open cab' section. were the doors of the 40 and front doors of the phaeton the same as the 76? i wish i had the whole price list ..
Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Gord. B by the bay

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Vince can I join ? I have both A's both with B engines Many Thanks Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote