Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Ted

Default 29 Gas Tank to Cowl Seal

What have you used to seal the seam where the gas tank sits on the cowl in order to keep water out?
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 29 Gas Tank to Cowl Seal

The easiest way is to use friction tape. Friction tape wont stick to any well except to itself. I use contact cement to coat the cowl and friction tape, let them sit for 15 minutes or so to let it "skin over" and then put them together. The nice thing about friction tape is it is very thin and wont be noticed once in place. It is also very cheap and can be found in most hardware stores. Some model A places sell a "special" cowl seal, however I think it is about 1/16" thick which will show after it is installed. I use friction tape on lots of places that might squeak i.e. metal to wood or metal to metal. Hope this helps.
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Ted

Smile Re: 29 Gas Tank to Cowl Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
The easiest way is to use friction tape. Friction tape wont stick to any well except to itself. I use contact cement to coat the cowl and friction tape, let them sit for 15 minutes or so to let it "skin over" and then put them together. The nice thing about friction tape is it is very thin and wont be noticed once in place. It is also very cheap and can be found in most hardware stores. Some model A places sell a "special" cowl seal, however I think it is about 1/16" thick which will show after it is installed. I use friction tape on lots of places that might squeak i.e. metal to wood or metal to metal. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the idea wrndln!
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote