Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
wingski

Default because of the model A

Because of working on the model A, my hands don’t work right. It is almost impossible for me to open a child-proof lid, and I hate ‘em. In this case hate is not too strong a word. This morning, I tried to open a can of white gas and couldn’t because of that damned lid. When I finally got it off, my shoulders and wrists were screaming to beat the band, and I vowed, “Never Again.” I took my pocket knife to that sucker and cut off the child-proof part. It was easy, and I didn’t cut myself. Surprise, surprise!

I probably am going to be arrested for breaking some asinine federal law concerning altering a child-proof lid, but WTF. Those things should be called non-artho caps. That would let everyone who has arthritis to just forget about even trying to open anything with one of those suckers on it.

There, I feel better,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
flatford39

Default Re: because of the model A

Look into introducing tumeric into your diet.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
slammin

I always cut the plastic part off of that type of cap. You might use channels locs on them in the future.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Wingski,

I understand your frustration. Sometimes it's also due to lack of exercise. Working around the yard and the cars can lead to a lot of aches and pains in our muscles and joints.

I was babysitting my grandchildren at my daughter's house recently. Her husband, who is a workout fanatic, left one of those balls you squeeze to build up your grip on the couch. I started squeezing it while I was watching TV. When I woke up the next morning I couldn't move my hand without pain shooting up my wrist. I also lost strength in my hand. I'm lucky I only have osteoarthritis because it went away in a couple of days.

My wife has rheumatoid arthritis. She could drive our Roadster, shift and use the clutch. In the last two years she doesn't have the strength in her joints to turn the steering wheel or use the clutch.

We need to enjoy our cars while we can. I'm glad we bought our car four years ago so she could enjoy driving it for a couple of years before her arthritis got worse.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
BillEbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
i always cut the plastic part off of that type of cap. You might use channels locs on them in the future.
+ 1
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

If it's a prescription bottle you should be able to ask your pharmacist to NOT use child proof caps.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
If it's a prescription bottle you should be able to ask your pharmacist to NOT use child proof caps.
Humana give you that option too.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
2manycars

I had to ask the VA to send my meds in adult bottles. Those plastic tabs on paint thinner cans, and paint hardener cans get cut off with a razor blade as soon as I get them. Opening a jar of gaterade or cranberry juice is getting more difficult to break the seal. Getting old is not all daisys.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
TerryO

Whoever coined the term "Those Happy Golden Years" was color blind. It was RUST not GOLD.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #10
SSsssteamer

I have rheumatoid arthritis and lately my arthritis has about done in my left knee, and the knee doesn't want to bend from straight. First of all, try getting into the driver's seat of an A Ford with a knee that doesn't want to bend? It's tough to do. Next, try placing your foot on the clutch pedal and working the clutch with the knee that doesn't want to bend? Frustrating. I will get better. I have to. At least our steam cars don't have a clutch pedals. Pill bottles with child proof caps? My model A wrenching keeps my hand joints young and the pill bottle caps don't stand a chance with me around.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #11
40 Deluxe

"Child-proof" cap causing problems? Just hand it to the nearest child!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 AM   #12
3.6rs

"Child-proof" lid = also "old people-proof" lid.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:23 AM   #13
Chris Haynes

At 72 I am only now starting to get shooting pains in my hands. I wonder how long before they become to painful to do ordinary things.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #14
NCRebel

I must step in and defend the Model A on this issue. Working on and driving a car that "makes you participate" with your whole body is not bad for your continued physical movement. Modern vehicles do everything from heating your seat and steering wheel to easy pedal motion. I don't want to be coddled by a machine, I want to be in charge. I remember days when I said, "I'm tired and sore, but it's the good kind."
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #15
kenparker

Yeah, at 71, I have aches and pains too, but, I would not want to go back to being a kid again. Been there done that.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #16
wright

If you want to make something child proof just put it in a filing cabinet. Seriously I teach middle school and sadly about 8 out of 10 kids can't seem to figure out how to open a file cabinet drawer.
wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #17
Terry, NJ

At 73, I've had back trouble since I was thirty. This is due to having scoliosis as a kid. Now I'm getting Osteo Arthritis in places I never had it before. The secret of functioning with these conditions is to keep moving, keep those joints loose! And don't feel sorry for yourself just because it hurts. Walk on grass. Stay off sidewalks and hard surfaces was much as possible. Do exercises, pushups against the sink, etc. My daughter is an Occupational Therapist (O.T.) and she told me that as we age, our Heel strings tend to shorten themselves. One exercise we should be doing is to stretch these muscles. Keep yourself as loose as you can. I still get under my cars and truck. I'm about to remove one of the large tires off my Case backhoe (no calcium). Next, I'm going to invest in one of Teeter Inversion machines. My Chiro doc says it will help! Your's in pain!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #18
burner31

Hey Mike, don't blame the Model A, it's your fault, you're the one who got old
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
wingski

For that shooting pain in the fore-arms, I’ve discovered that those straps that wrap tightly around the upper fore-arms help tremendously. They give me much more strength in my hands and help stop all that aching. Those straps even seem to help relieve the pain in my messed up shoulders.

Because of all the stuff that I still do that requires a lot of strength in my hands, I’ve learned to cope. Just driving can cause me a lot of discomfort unless I have those straps on. They don’t cost that much, and you can get them almost anywhere.

Now that I’m in my mid-seventies, I’ll be damned if I’m going to let this old body stop me from doing fun things. So far it hasn’t, I’ve just had to learn to do things differently or ending up paying for them misersbly.

In hot weather you should see me out there working on my A. I’ve got black elastic knee braces on both knees, Danner boots to protect my feet, and black straps on both fore-arms all while wearing shorts and a tank-top with a wet sweat-band around my forehead.

I guess I’m the poster-child for what an old guy can look like when he no longer gives a crap.

And to all you guys who are saying, “What’s this got to do with an A?” I say everything because working on one is more fun to me than driving one, and these things I’m sharing might help someone who is like me continue to do that work.

So there,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #20
barnstuf

For you guys who are complaining your Model A is older than you are, and may not have all of its original parts.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote