Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #21
Art Newland

Default Re: Engine + Trans Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Does cake go OK with beer?
Cake goes good with everything!
Beer goes good with everything!
win win.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #22
Art Newland

I helped Dick install his engine/trans combo the other day. Just some quick thoughts... with the pedals and throttle linkage off it wasn't bad at all. Two man job however, getting the flywheel housing/frame mounts started and aligning the u-joint is tricky. There isn't much room to grab the u-joint once the mounts start to engage. We lubed up the mounts with a little grease, Dick pushed from the front and I pulled from inside the car until the flywheel housing started into the mount (wasn't that hard, no frame spreader), then I grabbed the end of the u-joint with pump pliers. Dick pushed the engine slowly back with a crowbar while I aligned the u-joint with the drive-line. We had to pick up the torque tube just slightly and it slid right together. He continued to push the engine back until the bolt-holes aligned with frame mounts then we bolted it all up securely. It took us (two old slow guys) two hours to have it back together. It still needed manifolds and carb, generator, water pump, and radiator which Dick completed the next day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engne shot.jpg (51.5 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #23
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks, Art, for all your help! It really helps to have another knowledgeable partner on projects like this. What one doesn't think of...the other does. Plus we can tease each other a little and make it a fun time rather than actual work.

The engine in the car when I bought it this Spring was the original with about 86,000 miles on it. Standard bore. Pistons moved around quite a bit. A few valves had been replaced. I was able to get the rod and main bearings back into spec, but no shims are left in any of them (maybe the rear main has one set left). Other than the piston slap and 50 pounds of compression, the motor ran fine and made acceptable power. I want to tour this car to California next year (2,000+ miles round trip) to duplicate the trip I made in my first Model A in 1965. I had doubts that the original motor was up to it.

I bought a used motor from a club member. When I tore it down I found the babbitt to be near new...with the exception of the #1 rod which had lost a few chunks. I replaced that rod and removed only a few shims from original shim packs to get all bearings in spec. Pistons were 60 over and tight in the bores. I lapped in the valves and set clearances.

While things were apart, I replaced the clutch, TOB, pilot bearing.

It seems to be a good for a somewhat "refreshed" motor. I drove to Art's today (15 miles round trip) with no problems. It is smoother than the old motor, idles better, makes a little more power, no smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE9z...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #24
Art Newland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3tp...ature=youtu.be