Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #61
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Locating dimple on timing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
It should be close..but why take a chance? if you drop in the back up distributor,pin it up and check.Its important to master timing your car,detonation (spark knock) is a major contributor to main bearing failure,every time it knocks its akin to taking a sledgehammer to the top of the piston.

If on the road, my thoughts are - but open to discussion, the spark lever should be able to be used to adjust for any small error in timing.

Yes/no?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #62
30 Closed Cab PU

---removed due to double posting my above post
Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #63
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
If on the road, my thoughts are - but open to discussion, the spark lever should be able to be used to adjust for any small error in timing.
I think for the original question, the idea was to keep the distributor as a backup for roadside repairs, where it could be swapped in as a single unit to save time. In that case, you're correct that the spark control rod could be used to correct for a minor timing offset.

However, I think Railcarmover's comment was meant to suggest that it would still be worthwhile to unscrew the timing pin, get out the crank, and crank it around just to make sure that the rotor is roughly in the right spot, because trying to start it with the rotor significantly misaligned could not only prolong your troubleshooting process, but also damage the engine.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #64
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

Yes/no?
Correct...its why the spark is adjustable,to allow you to set for condition.If the base timing is set too far advanced you potentially lose the ability to correct.My point is to always pin up when installing a distributor.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #65
Jersey Mike

Use a mirror and a flashlight. Take the plugs out so it will turn easier.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #66
Forddan

Thank you !!!

Yes, my question about "having a backup distributor " was pointed to a road emergency. Nevertheless, it is very useful to know, that I will have to time again, as soon as possible, that backup distributor if I want to continue using it after the emergency.

To summarize what I understood:

- I can time a distributor and take it out. For an emergency (swap of distributor) will work. Let say to came back home from a short distance or few miles.

- But, if I want to leave it in the car best is to time it again ASAP.

This info, at least for me, is very useful!!!. I am brand new on Model A and still learning the very basic stuff.

I had in mind that once the distributor was timed you can take it out and insert it again any time later (months??) and will keep the timing. Now I know this is incorrect.

By the way, I also have an extra carburetor all setup, also for swap it in case of an emergency on the road.

Thank you all !!
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #67
katy

When you re-install the distributor you have to be sure to get the shaft in the right way. The tang and mating slot are off centre, but can be installed 1/2 turn out if not careful, especially if they're worn a bit.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #68
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post

I had in mind that once the distributor was timed you can take it out and insert it again any time later (months??) and will keep the timing. Now I know this is incorrect.
This is not incorrect. The backup distributor if set up properly can run forever as though it were new. Human hands are the only thing that can change a mechanical junction (which timing is) whether dist. #1, #2 or even #12 back up.
Pull any of the 12 back up distributors turn the engine as many times as you want and it will still be in time when you drop any of the distributors back in.
Katy is correct if we talk about other worn parts.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 07-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #69
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
This is not incorrect. The backup distributor if set up properly can run forever as though it were new. Human hands are the only thing that can change a mechanical junction (which timing is) whether dist. #1, #2 or even #12 back up.
Pull any of the 12 back up distributors turn the engine as many times as you want and it will still be in time when you drop any of the distributors back in.

John

Ideally all will be OK, if you want to be on the safe side check.

One easy way is to check/set the points gap before putting the distributor in the motor, put dist. in the motor, fully retard the spark, set timing pin cylinder 1 TDC, and then use the Nurex Timing Wrench. It may not be 100 % fussy/correct, but is real close and is a quick check. The Nurex is especially useful for side of the road.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #70
Forddan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post

John
Thanks John !

Short story: a few weeks back I had a thread where I described that my car was backfiring, stalling, shaking like a horse, etc.

All started after a 60 mile trip, fortunately at arrival to my house.

It took me 2 weeks and $150 in replacement parts to finally find that the distributor lower plate was grounding. Not the wire, the metal to what is soldered the wire.

I decided, to get a rebuilt distributor and have it at the trunk. In case that happens 50 miles away home I can swap the distributor. For me that will be easier to do "on the road" than changing parts and time again.

That is my rational and the origin of my question : Can I have a timed distributor in the car trunk for an emergency?

If I understand you well, the answer is YES.

Thanks again
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #71
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B071HYRPND
Old 07-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #72
1931 flamingo

Geez 4 pages for one of the most basic steps to owning an A
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #73
katy

Quote:
One easy way is to check/set the points gap before putting the distributor in the motor, put dist. in the motor, fully retard the spark, set timing pin cylinder 1 TDC, and then use the Nurex Timing Wrench. It may not be 100 % fussy/correct, but is real close and is a quick check. The Nurex is especially useful for side of the road.
Eyeball works real good, been using that method for over 60 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyeball.jpg (9.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #74
Purdy Swoft

I agree with Paul . Some will probably never understand the basic steps to setting the timing . It is most important to First remove all of the spark plugs to remove compression . If a person has to fight compression , the closer the engine comes to the timing dimple , the harder the engine will be to turn . The harder the engine is to turn , the more likely it will be to go past the timing dimple . It is most important to get the initial timing as exact as possible !!!!!!! If the initial timing isn't correctly set it will be impossible to correctly set the spark for Full retard or advance , depending on which direction that the timing is off . With that said , When the timing pin drops into the dimple on the timing gear , Loosen the cam screw and adjust the distributor cam so that the trailing edge of the rotor tip points at the number one contact in the distributor cap . Remember that the distributor shaft and rotor rides on the trailing edge . The distributor turns in the counter clockwise direction . NO backlash should be allowed on the trailing side of the rotor tip when the cam screw is tightened . Many will have some worn in backlash in the distributor shaft . The timing will be retarded to whatever amount of backlash remains on the trailing side of the rotor tip after the cam screw is tightened . Backlash is what causes some to end up with retarded timing . In other words , where the rotor tip points is where the spark will go when it happens . Points gap controls when the spark happens . More gap advances the timing because the quicker the points open the more advanced the timing will end up . More gap advances , less gap retards . Factory specs are eighteen to twenty two thousands .When setting the timing , I always adjust the points first and then set the initial timing as EXACT as possible for better cooler performance . When the timing is the least bit retarded it will cause loss of power and over heating . Hopefully this will explain the difference between points and initial timing . When points and initial distributor timing is correctly set the driver will be able to use the spark lever to control the timing . I fully retard the spark lever when cranking the model A . When bucking , pinging or knocking occurs it will be necessary to retard the lever until the knocking, pinging or bucking goes away and that is the jest of using the spark lever. There is NO set spot that the spark lever needs to be except when starting the engine . Otherwise the position of the spark lever will depend on driving conditions . When pulling hills or when in a strain , more retard will be needed to prevent bucking when taking off or pings and knocks when in a strain . Modern cars advance and retard automatically, Model A's must be retarded or advanced by the driver and there is NO one place that the lever should be set for all the time use .

If a spare distributer has the timing set for the engine it will be used on , it can be removed and replaced without having to reset the timing . AS the points block wears the gap closes and retards the timing . If there is a power loss or hotter temps , check points gap first .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #75
100IH

It's time to move on.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #76
Bill Batson

I have a friend who was having trouble finding the dimple on the timing gear with the probe. He had a Harbor Freight cheap borescope or whatever they are called. Put the probe end in the timing hole and watched the screen till he had the dimple perfectly centered. I have never had a problem finding the dimple but have to admit this made it extremely easy. Plus that bore scope is very handy for a number of other inspections. Just something to think about.
Bill Batson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:57 PM   #77
erdaviesjr

Hey, I found the great, simple solution for me was to purchase the sping-loaded tool from Snyder's for about $25 to replace the timing probe on the Model A. When the spring loaded device hits the dimple, there is a noticeable movement on the device. I confirmed this when I removed the radiator to replace the head with a higher compression head. it found the dimple dead on. Problem solved for me with timing. Thanks for all the conributions! RD
erdaviesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #78
erdaviesjr

Hey, I found the great, simple solution for me was to purchase the sping-loaded tool from Snyder's for about $25 to replace the timing probe on the Model A. When the spring loaded device hits the dimple, there is a noticeable movement on the device. I confirmed this when I removed the radiator to replace the head with a higher compression head. it found the dimple dead on. Problem solved for me with timing. Thanks for all the conributions! RD
erdaviesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:33 AM   #79
Chris Haynes

Stock timing pins are round on the end. Grind it to a point. Works much better.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #80
rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
geez 4 pages for one of the most basic steps to owning an a
paul in ct
omg just thinking the same thing,but interesting reading!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote