Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #21
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Newbie to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
The Victoria had an adjustable driver's seat. I believe that is the only Model A that came stock with one.
'30-31 Fordors have adjustable front seats.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
BillEbob

Cool Re: Newbie to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
BIGGER...
I DID IT! Set the steering wheel and seat (of my Sonata) to the
dimensions shown in the mechanical drawings posted by
Y-Blockhead!

Someone would have to have the contour of an airmail envelope
to fit in that tiny space! lol 😂

That being the case, there is no way on God's green earth that
a coupe will work for me❗I'm thinking that I'll have to go back
to my original idea of a '31 Vicky. The reason I strayed from
persuing that model is the lack of availability in and around my
State (New Mexico).

Any of you from NM have one that you're not telling me about?
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #23
TerryO

Quote:
That being the case, there is no way on God's green earth that
a coupe will work for me❗
BillEbob, I have a '69 GT350 and 4 Model A's and I can tell you that it is easy to downshift to Model A speed and upshift to Shelby speed. I think you will find driving the Model A is the most fun you can have. Like some of the others have said, find a 30/31 coupe and try it out. I have a 31 Sport Coupe and it isn't bad getting in and out (I'm 6'1"and 220 and have stiff joints and aches and pains that come with birthdays)

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Well keep in mind the Vicky was only built in '30-31 for an approximate total of 40,000. The coupe on the other hand was built for all four years. The approximate total just for'30-31 was 306,000 (and about 600,000 total).
These are just rounded off figures to give you an idea what your looking at in terms of finding a Victoria.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
daveymc29

I've seen a lot of coupes with adjustable seats. My 31 de Luxe coupe has one and I believe it to be original to the car. A friend has a 30 coupe and the seat in that adjusted also, also looked to be stock. With the package rack gone you may be able to gain about 4 inched. My problem with the 31 roadsters is that the windscrean is so short I have to hunch down to see out. I'm 6 feet tall but with long body, short legs. I sit 6"6". I like the 31 coupe once inside, but the entry and exit is a show in itself. Try some of those Poco guys cars, I know they are wonderful folks and will let you try them on for size. Welcome to the hobby.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #26
dmdeaton

Me and wife just got into the A disease a few months ago. We went to the local museum and they let her climb all over the different models trying them out. What did she settle on? Roadster, which all the guys at the museum said not a good choice. I am 6'1" 220lb. So we started looking for a 4 door. What did we end up buying? A roadster. I have to back into it and drag my right leg in, but once in it feels like a form fitted shoe. We love it and she loves to drive it also.
dmdeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #27
Karl

My first Model A was a 1930 Sports Coupe. I'm 6'2" and probably 240 lbs

Absolutely no problem getting in or out of my coupe or driving it . What I think a lot of people do when they restore the car is that the don't wire the seat springs correctly. When Henry built them the springs were compressed and wired compressed prior to covering. Looking at restored seats most appear to be minimally compressed if at all.

If done as original gives you a lot of extra space- an inch or two in the seat and in the back rest makes a big difference -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #28
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEbob View Post
Dick,
I had looked for a Vicky but found none in this area (a friend is building a '40 Ford that he bought sight unseen ((Maine)) and it turned out to be a rust bucket!) Can't afford to fly around the country looking at Vicky's then arranging to pay for shipping!)

BTW: Was the 400-A built out of "unobtainium?" What makes those beasts so darned expensive?!
There is a Victoria for sale on the MFCA website (www.mafca.com) in the classified section. It is located in Wichita Falls, TX. Seems to be reasonably priced.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdeaton View Post
Me and wife just got into the A disease a few months ago. We went to the local museum and they let her climb all over the different models trying them out. What did she settle on? Roadster, which all the guys at the museum said not a good choice. I am 6'1" 220lb. So we started looking for a 4 door. What did we end up buying? A roadster. I have to back into it and drag my right leg in, but once in it feels like a form fitted shoe. We love it and she loves to drive it also.
The cure for that is to take two Studebakers and get plenty of rest.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #30
BillEbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
There is a Victoria for sale on the MFCA website (www.mafca.com) in the classified section. It is located in Wichita Falls, TX. Seems to be reasonably priced.

David Serrano
Thanks for the heads-up, contacted seller. It's already sold to someone from my State!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #31
1955cj5

I don't know anything about this car, just happened to see it listed....to far from here to go look...

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...282688316.html
Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #32
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by René W View Post
Welcome Bill,you have joined a model a club so i think the easiest option is to find a member who has the same car type you want an just try if you fit into that model.
I own a '29 Tudor and i had to mount the seat backwarts 3 inch so my knees did not touch the steering wheel while shifting gears and breaking,i am not a tall guy,only 1.85 meter.
Good luck,René
If your knee gets trapped under the steering wheel when going from the clutch to the brake while in first gear (like at every complete stop) then the issue is with the shift lever. They bend pretty easily, and can wind up leaning a little toward the driver's side leaving no room for your knee to get by the steering wheel. A little force will cause it to lean a little toward the passenger side completely elimination the problem.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
BillEbob

Wink Re: Newbie to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
I don't know anything about this car, just happened to see it listed....to far from here to go look...

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...282688316.html
1955cj5,

After restoring 2 Mustangs, my 4 spinal surgeries have left me unable to
even think of tackling a Model A! At this point in life I'm looking for a car
I can wash, wax, drive and maintain! lol 😂 Some of you can understand!

Anybody else know of a Vicky that just needs a driver?

Bill
Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #34
BillEbob

Talking Re: Newbie to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Well keep in mind the Vicky was only built in '30-31 for an approximate total of 40,000. The coupe on the other hand was built for all four years. The approximate total just for'30-31 was 306,000 (and about 600,000 total).
These are just rounded off figures to give you an idea what your looking at in terms of finding a Victoria.
At a local show 'n' shine yesterday, I ran into "Mr. KnowsEverything" who told me that I "knew nothing" about Model A's because Vicky's were built from 1928 onward! I just kept my mouth shut remembering my dad's saying about wrestling with a pig in the mud! lol

I am REALLY bothered about needing to pass on the Deluxe Coupe that I found in my own state because it is a 2 owner car! How many of those does a guy come across?!

Bill