Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #41
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Snap On versus Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I think all my stuff I got used. The Snap-on truck used to come to a place I worked and I would go right to the card board box in the back and buy the "trade in" stuff. Now I buy at garage/yard sales and swap meets. I don't care what brand they are. It does seem the older they are,the better the quality...... Mark
I am basically in the same boat. Most all of my hand tools are "hand me downs" from older family members, friends, estate settlements, flea market's, yardsales, etc. I have aquired so many tools like this over the years that I honestly can't remember all the different manufacturer's or brand names. It has only been in more recent times that I have purchased specialty type tools made by Craftsman, Snap-on, and others.
I have always felt that Snap-on was tops in quality, but Craftsman is a very close second. If it came down to making a decision based soley on cost, I would have no problems buying Craftsman.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #42
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I am basically in the same boat. Most all of my hand tools are "hand me downs" from older family members, friends, estate settlements, flea market's, yardsales, etc. I have aquired so many tools like this over the years that I honestly can't remember all the different manufacturer's or brand names. It has only been in more recent times that I have purchased specialty type tools made by Craftsman, Snap-on, and others.
I have always felt that Snap-on was tops in quality, but Craftsman is a very close second. If it came down to making a decision based soley on cost, I would have no problems buying Craftsman.
JM, It's no doubt Snap on is about the highest quality tools made. I had
the chance to tour the Snap On factory twice in Kenosha Wisc. I went
through the entire plant including the big drop forge presses, trimming
dies, polishing and quality control. Every wrench is hand inspected and
tested with go/no go gauges. It would be very rare to get a defective
tool. Plus the quality of the steel enables them to make most wrenches
a little smaller and still maintain the strength of thicker ones. G.M.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #43
Robz51

I am also (still) an aircraft mechanic. Most of my wrenches are craftsman. Anything that has a ratcheting function is Snap-On or Mac. I've broken every one of my Craftsman ratchets. Snap on is good for Specialty stuff like easy-outs and spot-weld hole saw bits.
Rob
Robz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #44
deuce_roadster

Like many, I have a mix of tools. From hand made end wrenches by blacksmiths that came from my grandfather to ones that were my father's plus my own. Snap on, Herbrand, Craftsman etc.
Regardless of the make, I am pretty sure they will ALL outlive me and end up with my son.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #45
Bruce

I find that my Snap-On combo wrenches are too slick. A little bit of trans oil and they get downright slippery. But I like to carry them in my touring kit because when someone borrows one I always get it back. The cheaper tools have less perceived value and don't come home.
Ask your favorite waitress how many BIC pens she loses.
Now I may replace them with a set of Gear Wrenches that came home from Farm & Fleet with me last time I was there. A left over Black Friday deal, they beg a new understanding for "Cheap Tools!"
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #46
scooder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
JM, It's no doubt Snap on is about the highest quality tools made. I had
the chance to tour the Snap On factory twice in Kenosha Wisc. I went
through the entire plant including the big drop forge presses, trimming
dies, polishing and quality control. Every wrench is hand inspected and
tested with go/no go gauges. It would be very rare to get a defective
tool. Plus the quality of the steel enables them to make most wrenches
a little smaller and still maintain the strength of thicker ones. G.M.
Is the quality still the same, now that a bunch of their stuff is made off shore? I know the price doesn't reflect the change from US made snapon tools to elsewhere made snapon tools. Their profit margin must be astronomical now. The price they charge is completely insane.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #47
jim galli

That's a lot of money for a status symbol! In 1965 when I was 13, me and my dad bought a Model A Tudor sedan for $400. Dad promptly went down to Sears and bought me a 64 piece Craftsman tool set. I'm still using them 51 years later. Guess they're OK.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #48
john in illinois

I am also an ex aircraft mechanic. I have a mix of tools. New Craftsman tools seem to be close to Harbor freight quality,be sides there are no Sears stores left in my area.

My go to tools are Snap On or SK which seem to both have same quality. SK are less expensive.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1389.jpg (64.9 KB, 23 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #49
V12Bill

I worked in or owned a body shop for 20 + years and bought Snap on and Craftsmen tools. Snap on was more shiny (for what that is worth) and the Craftsmen had a more bulky appearance, but they seemed to fit my hand better. If a tool broke both had a lifetime guarantee. If the Snap on tool broke, you had to wait a week to exchange it when the truck returned. If the Craftsman tool broke, you had to make a short trip to the Sears store. Still have most of my tools after retiring 24 years ago and restoring 6 vrjicles.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #50
mercman from oz

In Australia, back in the fifties, sixties and seventies, the main mechanics tool that was available was the Sidchrome brand. I bought my set back in the late sixties. Back then, I also added a complete set of Whitworth Sockets and Spanners. They never get used? Like Snap-On, Sidchrome offer a lifetime guarantee. These tools were proudly made in Australia.
The brand emerged when Royston Siddons' Siddons Drop Forgings Pty Ltd turned to tool making to fill post-war shortages after World War II. Original production of Sidchrome tools in Australia was in the Brunswick area in the city of Melbourne, Victoria.
The Sidchrome brand built its reputation with high quality products. Sidchrome until 1996 were manufactured in Australia, but since being acquired by The Stanley Works (named Stanley Black & Decker since 2010) production is now undertaken in Taiwan. The foreign built tools look very nice and shiney and seem to work well also.
If you want to read more about these Australian made Sidchrome Tools, please visit the following Website:- http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/siddons-royston-11689
In recent years, Snap-on Tools have become available. I have also seen some Craftsman Tools, but this brand is not really well known in Australia.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #51
rotorwrench

I still have a 47 Triumph 1800 and several Royal Enfield-Indians so I purchased the British Standard and British association hand tools for them a long time ago. Snap-On made them back then but I don't know if they still do. They were available in their aerospace catalog years ago when there were still a lot of Rolls Royce Dart engines around. There's not much equipment around today that uses the old Whitworth stuff. It's even more rare in the US.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #52
29AVEE8

I have enjoyed reading all of the responses. Still waiting for the PLOMB truck to get here.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #53
Binx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I own a few Snap on tools, but mostly craftsman due to cost. I have found that a Snap on will grip a worn bolt head and take it out when a craftsman will round it off.
I definitely agree where end wrenches are used. Modern Craftsman seem to be looser.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #54
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29AVEE8 View Post
I have enjoyed reading all of the responses. Still waiting for the PLOMB truck to get here.
If he does come I bet he'll be driving a 157" wheelbase 1932 Ford Panel Delivery. 😉
Old 12-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #55
Binx

Quote:
Since you mentioned it...I have over 200lbs of pre and post-war Plomb tools I inherited from my grandfather. They are far too surperior to bring into the Snap-On/Craftsman conversation.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #56
cmbrucew

Quote:
I believe they were bought by Proto tools.
I still have some wrenches made by PLOMB, and some Whitworth wrenches.
All my Metric stuff fits in one drawer.
You can tell by my tools I only worked on older domestic stuff.
Retired 1999
Bruce
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #57
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Two sets of spanners (UK).....Snap On here in the UK cost £2000 ! Not dollars !

Gentleman, your comments please !
How much gear are we getting for our $2500? I count 25 wrenches in the photo. I learnt a while ago that divides out to close to $100 per wrench. At that level, I'm watching the action.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #58
SofaKing

I have never heard of Plomb or Sidchrome, interesting. I have a couple tools from my Russian father-in-law that are just stamped "USSR". I don't know what kind of warranty they offered in the Soviet Union back in the day, fun to make up lies about it...like the warranty claim office is Siberia or if you break a tool they replace you.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 AM   #59
deucemac

I started wrenching in 1962 with some low grade tools out of necessity. I replaced them all over a period of time, with Snap on tools. I still have most all of them. I have worked both aircraft and automobiles for the past 54, soon to be 55 years. NY automotive box is most Snap on and my aircraft box is mostly Craftsman. I found out years ago that Craftsman tools do not hold up to the rigors of dealership life when you may work on 10 to 15 vehicles a day. Or heavy line where brute strength in tools are important. Both have lifetime warranties, but seldom have I had to have Snap on tools warranted. I worked flight test for most of the bid aircraft manufacturers at one time or another. I found that aircraft work was easier on the tools than automotive. Plus, aircraft work is mostly done with 1/4 inch ratchets and sockets, some 3/8 used, and rarely 1/2 stuff unless doing landing gear work. So my Craftsman tools performed very well under those conditions. Someone mentioned Bonney wrenches and I must agree that there is nothing better than a Bonney wrenches when working with tubing and "B" nuts. Snap on has always been expensive but the price semi better to swallow when the wrench, socket, or ratchets don't break and you keep on earning a living and not running down to the Sears store (and as someone pointed out fading fast). I have used and enjoyed both brands and are very good within their own elements. Now retired it doesn't make much difference which tool brand I choose because both they and I enjoy far more relaxed pace, only working my projects as I choose. A friend and I were discussing Harbor Freight tools recently and both agreed that buying those tools was based on whether we were going to use it more than once. Repeat use kind of eliminates H/F. I once managed a shop and the owner bought us tools for Christmas one year. I received a beautiful set of Stahl-Wiley screwdrivers . Very high quality German tools that impressed me a lot. I liked Snap on screwdrivers but it seemed like they grew legs and ran away all the time! I took the Snap on screwdrivers and bought the cheap wood handled screwdrivers of the Mac truck and they never went missing! Had to replace them every so often but nobody seemed to want to steal those!
So my opinion is that for me, Craftsman tools are great light duty or hobby tools and Snap on hold up mu h better under heavy industrial use. So buy the tool for your needs and if it costs more and lasts longer than others, buy it. Putting beans on your plate will dictate the brand most of all. And lastly, yes I have worked with tool nuts that just HAD to have Snap on tools when lesser brands would perform very well. The Snap on dealers LOVED those guys!
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #60
Paul Bennett

I'm going to stick my neck out and CRITICIZE deucemac. Sorry mac. BREAK UP THE LOVELY PROSE and make it readable - PLEASE.

My one 80 year old eyeball just can't read your original post because of the solid print, especially when ENTER KEYS are so cheap.

Flame me, I deserve it ... but if I entice someone to actually read your post and FUTURE POSTS which they likely otherwise skip over, great. Sigh - color me inappropriate for the season. MC&HNY btw. There and I'm not sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemac
I started wrenching in 1962 with some low grade tools out of necessity. I replaced them all over a period of time, with Snap on tools. I still have most all of them. I have worked both aircraft and automobiles for the past 54, soon to be 55 years. NY automotive box is most Snap on and my aircraft box is mostly Craftsman.

I found out years ago that Craftsman tools do not hold up to the rigors of dealership life when you may work on 10 to 15 vehicles a day. Or heavy line where brute strength in tools are important. Both have lifetime warranties, but seldom have I had to have Snap on tools warranted. I worked flight test for most of the bid aircraft manufacturers at one time or another. I found that aircraft work was easier on the tools than automotive. Plus, aircraft work is mostly done with 1/4 inch ratchets and sockets, some 3/8 used, and rarely 1/2 stuff unless doing landing gear work. So my Craftsman tools performed very well under those conditions.

Someone mentioned Bonney wrenches and I must agree that there is nothing better than a Bonney wrenches when working with tubing and "B" nuts. Snap on has always been expensive but the price semi better to swallow when the wrench, socket, or ratchets don't break and you keep on earning a living and not running down to the Sears store (and as someone pointed out fading fast). I have used and enjoyed both brands and are very good within their own elements. Now retired it doesn't make much difference which tool brand I choose because both they and I enjoy far more relaxed pace, only working my projects as I choose.

A friend and I were discussing Harbor Freight tools recently and both agreed that buying those tools was based on whether we were going to use it more than once. Repeat use kind of eliminates H/F. I once managed a shop and the owner bought us tools for Christmas one year. I received a beautiful set of Stahl-Wiley screwdrivers . Very high quality German tools that impressed me a lot. I liked Snap on screwdrivers but it seemed like they grew legs and ran away all the time! I took the Snap on screwdrivers and bought the cheap wood handled screwdrivers of the Mac truck and they never went missing! Had to replace them every so often but nobody seemed to want to steal those!

So my opinion is that for me, Craftsman tools are great light duty or hobby tools and Snap on hold up mu h better under heavy industrial use. So buy the tool for your needs and if it costs more and lasts longer than others, buy it. Putting beans on your plate will dictate the brand most of all. And lastly, yes I have worked with tool nuts that just HAD to have Snap on tools when lesser brands would perform very well. The Snap on dealers LOVED those guys!
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote