Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
1930marie

Default New motor break-in with babbit bearings

There are many threads on this subject, however, I dont remember reading how our fellow A'ers do it in a big city. I would like to hear how you go about getting those rings seated.

Last edited by 1930marie; 01-06-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: stated wrong
1930marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: New motor break-in with babbit bearings

Don’t rev it don’t lug it and after you have a few miles on it accelerated hard for
2 or 3 seconds in second or third gear. Keep varying your speed for the first 300
To 500 miles.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
PRG999

When mine was rebuilt I was told not to go over 30 for the first 300 miles, and to vary the speed. Takes a while to do 300 miles that way
PRG999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
1930marie

Exactly my point. Going up and down 20-30 mph for 300-500 miles will take me a year and how will I know the rings actually seated?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

The first erngine I broke in easy and cartefully, not over 35 for a long time, it only lasted 3000 miles ---after fixing it with new main babbitt I "broke it in" in 2 days---on the PA turnpike, kept it to 45 till Harrisburg, then 50, would do 67 in Ohio---drove it over 60 the rest of the way, still tryinh to break it 35 years later,New iron rings "seat" quick if the cylinders are properly prepared (round, not tapered or barrel shaped), used rings take longer
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
mike657894

I have rebuilt and replaced pistons on a few things now and have never had to do it twice. As for break in I wouldn't go out and rag on it. And i wouldn't be able to stand driving slow enough to lug it. But I just drive how I would normally. Lets call it driving with a little gusto.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Railcarmover
BANNED

What difference does babbit bearings make on how you break an engine in?
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930marie View Post
There are many threads on this subject, however, I dont remember reading how our fellow A'ers do it in a big city. I would like to hear how you go about getting those rings seated.
If concerned about making sure that rings seat quickly and positively, use modern thin rings. My latest B took maybe 1/2 hr on a stand. No oil burning, no blow by and no smoking. You can use all other internals as you wish/have. Thin modern rings seat quickly in a properly prepared cylinder. Of course, you have to have pistons for these rings, but if starting a rebuild anyway , may as well not have such seating worries !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
glenn in camino

I've rebuilt several of my engines. After the first start, I let it run for about 15 minutes Then, I rev it a few times, let it warm up, and torque the head again. After I've driven it around my neighborhood for a while, torque the head one more time.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
PC/SR

Babbit bearings make no difference in break in. I just gradually accelerate to about 45-50, then let off down to 25 or so and do it again 4-5 times. The deceleration sucks oil up the rings. The accelleration forces the rings against the cylinder walls. Do it a few times over a couple days and all is well. Just for fun, try tracking compression tests. Check compression initially and as you proceed. The compression will increase over a 1000 mile period, but that does not mean you cannot drive it normally after a few accellerations. It just takes time for a perfect fit, but a perfect fit is not necessary for a driver.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #11
1930marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
What difference does babbit bearings make on how you break an engine in?
I honestly dont know the answer to that. This entire engine replacement has been a double edged sword. I now have a new motor with more power thanks to a Snyder head. On the flip side, my car suffered paint chips and scratches that may well be the norm when installing a new motor, but hard on me. I am interested in breaking this motor in correctly and never having to pull the motor again.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
1930marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
Babbit bearings make no difference in break in. I just gradually accelerate to about 45-50, then let off down to 25 or so and do it again 4-5 times. The deceleration sucks oil up the rings. The accelleration forces the rings against the cylinder walls. Do it a few times over a couple days and all is well. Just for fun, try tracking compression tests. Check compression initially and as you proceed. The compression will increase over a 1000 mile period, but that does not mean you cannot drive it normally after a few accellerations. It just takes time for a perfect fit, but a perfect fit is not necessary for a driver.
Ive been able to do 25-35 pulls in our area, but I will have traffic stacked up if I go into the heavy traffic here. Speed limits are all 45/50 and up. I think Im going to have to wait for this daylight savings to end so I can hit the road at 6:00 am with no traffic issues.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #13
Dollar Bill

I have broken in a number of engines easy and raw-dogged others. Could not tell the difference.

Drive it as you normally drive just vary engine speed. No cruise control and 500 mile trips

Change oil at the 100 mile mark.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Who rebuilt it and what did they say?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #15
Railcarmover
BANNED

If your bearings are poured and fitted correctly then the run in period will have no effect on them.My only break in advice is change the oil frequently,within the first two hours to remove assembly debris,then four hours,then 100 miles then 500 miles for metal slough off from rings.

Dirt and debris introduced during assembly occurs no matter how clean you work.

Drive the car as you would normally.Almost all the failures of new engines Ive seen had nothing to do with how it was broke in,if its assembled correctly it will last.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
BoysToys1928A

Congrats on a new motor "Merry Christmas to you" This sounds like a great problem to have... I'm glad the engine starts each time I push on the starter
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #17
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930marie View Post
I honestly dont know the answer to that. This entire engine replacement has been a double edged sword. I now have a new motor with more power thanks to a Snyder head. On the flip side, my car suffered paint chips and scratches that may well be the norm when installing a new motor, but hard on me. I am interested in breaking this motor in correctly and never having to pull the motor again.
Don't let the chips and scratches annoy you.You're the only one who focuses them.My eyes always go to the flaws in my work,I have to condition myself not to let it ruin the enjoyment of having the car. Drive it like its the love of your life,even though the dimples on her ass could hold a days rain shes still your girl..
Old 01-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #18
Bob Bidonde

I just drive without any consideration for break-in. About the first 500 miles, I change the motor oil to full synthetic. After 500 miles, I change the oil once per year.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I just drive without any consideration for break-in. About the first 500 miles, I change the motor oil to full synthetic. After 500 miles, I change the oil once per year.
YES, just DRIVE IT! The rings will do what they're DESIGNED to DO!
Bill Practical
Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #20
Chuck Sea/Tac

The man that built my engine, did a B for a friend. They got it in at 3:00am, and the car headed out on a 4000 mile trip to Colorado and beyond 2 hrs later. They did two torques before he left, and I assume one down the road. Last I knew it had 35,000 miles on it. Y the way, this was a felpro asbestosis gasket.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote