Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Standard40

Default Columbia Overdrive

Someone on here wants one of these I'm sure.
Local facebook ad on the FB Marketplace has a complete Columbia setup and with everything else from the radiator to the rear for a 39, they came off a 39 Woody. All for $8500 negotiable to break up the set. Contact him via messenger if interested. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2517728647977/

gear
Contact Seller
Puyallup, WA

I have the complete running gear out of a 1939 woody. Columbia to Speed rear end
& everything to make it work complete front axle assembly both include everything to Bolt in shocks brakes wishbones everything if anybody’s interested let me know. Everything has been rebuilt !
Standard40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Columbia Overdrive

When you say everything has been rebuilt, how long ago and can whoever rebuilt the engine, trans and Columbia be contacted?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
tubman

"StreetRodders" - The gift that keeps on giving. I still hate 'em. There is soon to be a '39 Woody in the attendant magazines with a GM tilt column, a ZZ something or other, and tweed upholstery. I'm almost glad I'm old.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Standard40

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
When you say everything has been rebuilt, how long ago and can whoever rebuilt the engine, trans and Columbia be contacted?

You have to contact the owner of the FB ad. Click on the link and message him. Name is Roger Kennedy. He gave me his # 206-300-1857

Last edited by Standard40; 04-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Standard40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
jimTN

Another true classic destroyed by a garbage truck engine. Since those seem to sell in the 60-70s I sure hope that was the beginning price for this destruction.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"StreetRodders" - The gift that keeps on giving. I still hate 'em. There is soon to be a '39 Woody in the attendant magazines with a GM tilt column, a ZZ something or other, and tweed upholstery. I'm almost glad I'm old.
I die a little inside everytime I see a tilt steering column, bucket seats pulled out of God-knows-what or some variety of small-block Chevy stuffed into an old Ford. These parts are fine in the appropriate application, just NOT in a 1930s, '40s or early '50s Ford.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
PeterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I die a little inside everytime I see a tilt steering column, bucket seats pulled out of God-knows-what or some variety of small-block Chevy stuffed into an old Ford. These parts are fine in the appropriate application, just NOT in a 1930s, '40s or early '50s Ford.

Just to offer some calming thoughts - I am one that stayed with traditional - so my 35 Coupe sports a flathead Ford, a Columbia and all stock exterior/interior. A few minor enhancements here and there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PETER_MARTIN_022(1).jpg (59.4 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0047.jpg (92.6 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg PETER_MARTIN_014.jpg (70.1 KB, 352 views)
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Dave Castle

Quote:
I am sure there is not a street rodder who cares !!
Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
Just to offer some calming thoughts - I am one that stayed with traditional - so my 35 Coupe sports a flathead Ford, a Columbia and all stock exterior/interior. A few minor enhancements here and there
Judging by the attached pictures, your car is STUNNING! In fact, it looks almost too clean to drive. Love the seatbelts and there's nothing wrong with running a '39 and up transmission for easier shifting.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
philipswanson

Is the '39 Columbia the same as the '40?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Is the '39 Columbia the same as the '40?
Should be the same except for the brake drums.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Be happy that it's being offered for sale and not going to the steel mill. You can hate 'em all you want , but a lot of guys have been able to restore their cars because a street rodder sold them some original parts at cheap prices.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-12-2019 at 10:32 PM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #14
leon bee

I've got some bucket seats in my 50, but I swear they're only temporary.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #15
jimTN

I have always been quick to criticize and I believe for some reasonable facts. Too many of these "projects" are begun to the point the original car is ruined then never finished. Cutting up a rare (low production) model adds to the destruction of scarce vehicles. The so called street rods today are built with today's styles usually out of some slick magazine and painted with typical Easter egg colors that are also today's style. Next year its something else and soon whats left of the car is very little. As for power, the typical crate engine is way overpowered for the top heavy and short vehicles they are put in. A well built 85 to 100 hp flathead with the right gearing shocks and brakes will run with traffic and handle well.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
V8 Bob

I didn't know some of you have such hostility towards "street rodders". Most of us do not destroy a restored old Ford, but rather rebuild and save derelict, abandoned, neglected or dilapidated Fords into our personal hot rods. My '51 is still 6V and will stay flathead powered; the '32 hot rod is steel aftermarket and flathead powered, but the '40 coupe was a butchered project when I bought it in '65 and will be 428 FE powered hot rod, with rolled and pleated interior and a Mustang tilt column.

The street rod club I've been with since '74 has 32 members at this time, and I don't remember any of their cars that were restored or completely original before they were completely rebuilt, repainted and re-powered into beautiful "street rods".

Some of your criticism is frankly way over the top and unfounded, imo.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #17
Dave Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
I didn't know some of you have such hostility towards "street rodders". Most of us do not destroy a restored old Ford, but rather rebuild and save derelict, abandoned, neglected or dilapidated Fords into our personal hot rods. My '51 is still 6V and will stay flathead powered; the '32 hot rod is steel aftermarket and flathead powered, but the '40 coupe was a butchered project when I bought it in '65 and will be 428 FE powered hot rod, with rolled and pleated interior and a Mustang tilt column.

The street rod club I've been with since '74 has 32 members at this time, and I don't remember any of their cars that were restored or completely original before they were completely rebuilt, repainted and re-powered into beautiful "street rods".

Some of your criticism is frankly way over the top and unfounded, imo.
Well Put !
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #18
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Should be the same except for the brake drums.
I have heard that the distance between the rear shackles is not quite the same??
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #19
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I have heard that the distance between the rear shackles is not quite the same??
As far as I know the width of the '39 rear is the same as the '40 and they use the same wishbone.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #20
deuce_roadster

The rear axle housings are the same which have the shackle pin hole. Width has to be the same. Wheel offset could be different due to the wide 5 bolt pattern, I don't know about that but without drums, they should be identical width.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote