Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
john_gto

Default Looking for a 30/31 Model A

Hi everyone.

I have enjoyed this forum for several months and appreciate all the effort members make to keep it current and active. As an introduction I am located in Ontario am new to the Model A world although I do most of my own automotive repair work.
After becoming interested in the Model A I have joined MAFCA, Model A of Canada club, attended several events including MARC Niagara Falls, Hershey 2015 and obtained numerous books and mechanical repair manuals. A good friend involved with this hobby for many years has been instrumental in this process and continues to be an inspiration.
Our objective is to acquire a 30 or 31 Model A preferably a Fordor, Tudor or Victoria. The preference is a Model A that is in sound mechanical condition but a definite driver to the point that it could even look unrestored.
If you have a Model A that you can no longer enjoy , fits the above description and that this later fifties guy can start the hobby with I would appreciate hearing from you . If you are able to include all around pictures and your price that would be very helpful.

John

Niagara - Ontario Canada

Last edited by john_gto; 05-01-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: change
john_gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
clo2jim

Default Re: Looking for a 30/31 Model A

Since you are a member of the Model A Owners of Canada, you will be receiving their monthly letter "Quill & Quail" You would have noticed under "Bill's Bargains" a number of Model A's for sale. February issues shows 15 different Model A's for sale. There are a number of 1930-31 Model A's for sale.

It was from the "Quill & Quail" in August 2007, where we purchased our 1930 Model A Canadian Roadster - great car. I was actually looking for an enclosed 1930 pickup but saw the ad for the 30 roadster and it was ours shortly after. I have put over 6,000 miles on it since. The body had been restored 10 years before we got it. I installed a new interior in 2008, overhauled the motor in 2012 and brakes in 2014. I am out in it as much as I can in the summer. Little cold today in Northern Ontario above Lake Superior - only -32°C, to get it out in the winter.
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
john_gto

The monthly letters have not yet arrived but I look forward to receiving them.

Thanks John
Old 02-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
clo2jim

This club is great. We have been a member since 1988. Being in Northern Ontario, typically only get to one meeting a year - usually the one just before the Fall Barrie Automotive Flea Market.

Jim
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I also live in Ontario ( Sarnia ) what is your budget in U.S. Dollars ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
DougVieyra

Don't forget to check in regularly and frequently here at the FORD BARN 'Forum', and in your search for a Model A : the FORD BARN "The Swap Meet", which has a link at the top of the FORD BARN heading. Besides lots of parts, I do see an occasional car FOR SALE.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:13 AM   #7
Henry's Lady's Man

I once heard Jay Leno give great advice on his "Leno's Garage" videos.
He said, whatever car you want to buy, find a local club and hang out with them. Eventually, someone will sell. With Model A's, often, there are members with more than one, or there is an unfortunate passing of a member, and the widow or widower may want to sell. As Jay said, these cars have been loved and cared for with the best of help and advice at their disposal. They are often in great shape for a decent price.

Also, my advice is to avoid someone who wants to recover "all they put into it". This is a hobby, and we all put in more than we could ever get back. Model A's are not a Wall Street investment. Chuck
Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
I once heard Jay Leno give great advice on his "Leno's Garage" videos.
He said, whatever car you want to buy, find a local club and hang out with them. Eventually, someone will sell. With Model A's, often, there are members with more than one, or there is an unfortunate passing of a member, and the widow or widower may want to sell. As Jay said, these cars have been loved and cared for with the best of help and advice at their disposal. They are often in great shape for a decent price.

Also, my advice is to avoid someone who wants to recover "all they put into it". This is a hobby, and we all put in more than we could ever get back. Model A's are not a Wall Street investment. Chuck
Great advice from the poster and Mr. Leno! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
[email protected]

John,
I sent a description and a photo of my Town Sedan to your email.
Bryan
wjbgthom@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
1930artdeco

John, welcome to the club! Stick with a local club or if you want check out surrounding club newsletters (not sure about the distance thing). Just remember if you a 30 Fordor check the wood out before you buy. If it is all bad that is a 4K job right there not to mention paint and interior.

Mike
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
motordr

Good luck with your search John.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
harleynut

Henry's Lady's Man is right on.....well said.....never heard it put that way before
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #13
29spcoupe

If your not too picky about having a 30 or 31, there is a 29 blind back sedan in the 'for sale' forum that fits your description. It's about 5 hours from you.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Was told a few years ago by several Model A guys to not only check Model A Clubs, Model A Organization Ads, Hemmings Motor News, etc., etc., but go to Google and type in your Model A wants.

Doesn't sound at all reasonable, but with much patience on the first try, after sifting though about twenty-five (25) pages on Google, my Model A came up for sale on a Military Dodge Truck Collector's Museum Website, immediately adjacent to Fort Hood, Texas ..... when visited, Dodge trucks everywhere ..... one Model A that had been for sale for about six (6) months ....... ads were in local papers ...... hundreds came to see it ...... nobody even tried to bargain ...... it was so nice and drove so well, I gladly offered him the asking price.

One never knows what can pop up in the most unthinkable areas when searching to purchase anything ........ good luck.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-21-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Follow the "join a local club" route. It is sound advice.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #16
john_gto

Thank you all for your suggestions - it is appreciated. I have joined the local club and am following up on several leads from Ford Barn members.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #17
motordr

The search continues.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #18
HoarseWhisperer

Welcome, John.

I too joined the Model A Owners of Canada (and all the other clubs) prior to looking for my first Model A. The experience and advise of the members was invaluable in my search. I looked at so many vehicles before I heard by word of mouth of the original Roadster available that eventually became mine. It has now toured Ontario and numerous states in the US, and came away with the touring Award of Excellence at last years MARC meet in Niagara Falls. Good luck in your search and hope to see you at our touring events.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #19
mhsprecher

I didn't join a local Model A club until after I bought my first car. Bad move on my part. Joined Ford Barn much later, too.

I found both of mine on Craig's List and very close to me. Excellent and well-priced cars in both cases. Lucky, I guess.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
john_gto

Thank you for all the replies and comments - much appreciated.
I have found my first Model A - 31 Slant Window Town Sedan. It is largely a survivor and I am already enjoying some touch ups with more to come. The Ford Barn continues to be one of my favorites .

John