Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
28 fast faton

Default HC head

Just got my HC head 5.5:1 and was wondering if there are any tricks or special parts necessary to install. I know about the B head gasket but was wondering if there was anything else. I have heard you need special head bolts but I am not sure if that is the case. Thanks for the help
28 fast faton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: HC head

Vince,
Is the gasket that Snyders says to use with their 5.5 head NOT the one to use?
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
a sedan

I used the b gasket from snyders and have had no prob. Infact thats what they say to use....
Fordgarage??
a sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
What do you mean you know about the B head gasket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post

I hope you know not to use a B gasket with the HC head, unless you like water in your cylinders. Use an A gasket.

EDIT: Never mind. Do whatever works for you.

Vince...little confusion going on here......Snyder's manufacturers the head and recommends the use of their "Premium Head Gasket" made for the "B" engine. See the following info from their website (in bold):

Tired of coolant weeping around the head! This unique gasket has a solid steel core sandwiched by heavy-duty high density gasket material coated with silicone. Additional high temperature silicone bands surround all water passages. Install with no additional sealants! The model 1928-31 Model A version is recommended for use with all stock heads. The 1932-34 model B version is recommended with all 1932-34 stock heads as well as 1928-31 5.5:1 and 6:1 Snyder brand high compression heads. Neither of these gaskets will work with the Brumfield brand high compression head.
Comment: Snyder’s suggests no more than 55 ftlb torque with their heads when using this headgasket.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
28 fast faton

I have one of each, so I will check each on top of the head before I install the head. Is there anything else I may need to use or do. I am afraid to do anything anymore without coming on here first. Now I am addicted. thanks again
28 fast faton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Dave in MN

28 fast faton...I should have limited my earlier comments to Snyder's heads not the original "B" head. Vince knows what he is talking about! But I do know this: You need to use the right gasket under the Snyder's heads. I once mistakenly installed a Snyder's A-6051-M under one of their 5.5:1 heads and the gasket failed at about 200 miles. How did that happen...well I took an "A" and a "B" out of their wrappers to compare them and when putting them back into the packaging before use...I inadvertantly mixed them up. Ouch! The Snyder's HC head did not properly support/cover the fire rings of the A-6051-M gasket. The fire rings projected to far into the combustion chamber. The correct "Premium Head Gasket" to use with either Snyder's heads is the B-6051-M.
Your last question about anything else you need to do...Follow Snyder's instructions about torquing the head gasket multiple times. The first time you warm the engine and let it cool, you may find you loose up to 10 ftlbs of torque at a few of the bolts. Follow their schedule regarding re-torquing. If you don't you may develop seepage. 55 ftlb is what Snyder's suggest with both of the HC heads when using the Premium Head Gasket B-6051-M.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 07-20-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote