Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
bobgreco

Question Painting Prep Question

When getting ready to paint something like the frame or the engine block, without sand blasting, what do you use for the final cleaning process to make sure it is clean and ready to paint. I am worried that degreaser will still leave a residue that might inhibit the paint from sticking properly.

Thanks,

Bob
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Painting Prep Question

Bob, there is a product called Wax & Grease Remover that is generally used. It doesn't hurt to use your degreaser prior to applying the Wax & Grease Remover.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Mikeinnj

Bob,

Be aware that there are four versions of "Wax and Grease Remover",made by PPG Industries, Inc. There is a fast dry, slow dry, "tree hugger " low VOC, and
a fourth one also. I use the DX330 for before and after sanding clean-up.

Here is a link to the product available through PPG Paint suppliers.

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishproduc...7-f375ad1d8bce
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

So far I've only painted undercarriage parts and have sandblasted them all, but I also use DX330 just before spraying DP90 and DCC 9000 on the parts. Everything has worked great so far, although when I get to the frame I will probably want to add a bit of flatner to the paint.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Ken Ehrenhofer

If you have not sand blasted to clean what have you done??
I would not paint a frame unless it was sandblasted. That is because I do not want to spend a bunch of money and time and not get the best, long lasting results.
If you have not sandblasted then you must have cleaned by sanding, grinding, scraping and paint remover??? If there is still some rust you might want to use a Metal prep to help remove rust in the pits and then a wax and grease remover to remove any residue. If you sandblast I try not to touch it with my greasy hands and then all I do is spray it with a product called DP-90 from PPG. Of course after I blow off any leftover sand and dust. DP-90 is an epoxy primer to give a good grip to the metal after drying about 24 hours I apply a coating of urethane primer from PPG or Euro-fil to start filling in all the pit marks.
Again I would always sandblast a frame IMHO!
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgreco View Post
When getting ready to paint something like the frame or the engine block, without sand blasting, what do you use for the final cleaning process to make sure it is clean and ready to paint. I am worried that degreaser will still leave a residue that might inhibit the paint from sticking properly.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob, this is like asking what you should do first when you get a car.. LOL

With that said.. after all sanding is done, grinding is complete and welding primed-- I wipe the area down with Naphtha (get it at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $15 a gallon). But like others have said-- many products to select from. From personal exper... ensure what ever you use is dry before painting.

Good Luck, D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
bobgreco

Thank you for your comments. I am not going to sandblast the frame as there are only a few very small areas (rubs mostly) that are not in really good shape. It must have been blasted and painted within the last 10 years. Overall, the frame stil looks great. My questions as more around what to clean the body with right before paining, which you answered for me.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Bob
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Wax and grease removers are formulated to float contaminates to the surface.

Some use solvents thinking they are cleaning the surface when in fact they are just dissolving them and spreading them more over the surface.

There are different types of wax and grease removers. They have aggressive types used for heavy cleaning of surfaces before sanding and prep work and then mild stuff for pre-cleaning just before painting. Some paints these days work better when a water based wax and grease remover is used (this translates to the paint can fail if you use non-water based). So read the tech sheets for all the products your are using.

To learn more go here: Wax and grease removers

For paint you must understand that it attaches to the scratches in the surface unless you are painting during the recoat window. You must the the correct scratch for the type of the paint your using. Read the tech sheets for the product to get the proper prep.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote