Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default FogLights revisited

Got my foglights installed - ended up with them mounted just inside the headlights instead of outside. Came up with a unique problem while wiring them as turn signals. I'm using a separate horn relay for each side to keep the 4-5 amps out of the turn signal switch. The left side works as advertised - front and rear blinking. The right side blinks at the rear but is a steady light at the front. I've swapped wires right to left and it switches the symptoms to the other side. All four lights blink in the emergency mode. I've used both electronic and thermal(manual) flashers and swapped in new relays with the same results. I'm missing/overlooking something guys - what is it (other than using foglights as turnsignals)? Ken(SC)

Old 03-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #2

Default Re: FogLights revisited

I use fog lights on several of my old Fords for turn signals. You need two 3 amp or larger diodes for both lights. Wrap the wires of two diodes together in parellel so that they let voltage to the light. This will let the voltage flow from either source of supply to the bulb but block it from going back to the other supply. Connect that end of the diodes to the fog light. The two wires out the back of the diodes, one is connected to left or right wire from the turn signal switch and the other to the fog light switch. This way you have both fog lights and turn signals. There are two types of turn signal switchs. One has I believe 7 wires. Thats the one you need. I had this on my 39 for 20 years with no relays. G.M.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:36 AM   #3

Default Re: FogLights revisited

GM, Thanks, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to pickup the diodes but I'll sure try your suggestion. My turn signal switch is the 7 wire type. As far as the relays are concerned, my middle name has always been "overkill"! I knew one of you Fordbarners had done this before. Thanks again. Ken(SC)