Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
36henry

Default Clutch pedal not returning

Hi guy's, had my 36 Fordor out today to give it a run and it started fine and got through the town traffic fine as I drove out to a friends farm just out of town (10miles or so)
Anyway on my way back in the first time I changed down the clutch pedal didn't come all the way up so I used the top of my foot to flick it up. After several gear changes on my way home the same thing (just kept flicking it backup) So I made it home, the clutch didn't slip and as I was double clutching the gears didn't grind, so what the heck is going on:confuse d:

How do I get the pedal back to where it should be, and just to clarify the situation the clutch pedal is only coming back up about half way.

Any and all advice will be most welcome

Mick
36henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Marv

Default Re: Clutch pedal not returning

Check to see if your return spring is broke. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Planojc

Check the hole in the wood floorboard to make sure nothing is rubbing against the pedal.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
36henry

Default Re: Clutch pedal not returning / Problem now worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Check to see if your return spring is broke. Marv
Well finally got under the car and the spring looked fine, greased the pivot points and thought it might "free up" driving. Got the car out and went for a drive, steered it up the two biggest hills in town and the clutch seemed fine (no slipping etc) but two blocks from home I pushed it in to downshift and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor
Managed to limp it home in first gear, will be a couple of weeks until I can look at it again (I travel for work).

So just to recap.
The pedal started by not returning fully but the clutch seemed fine
Checked spring return and greased the pivot points
Test driving up BIG hills, no slipping clutch
Two blocks from home pedal stays on floor

Again guys any advice most welcome

Mick
Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Terry,OH

Sounds as if the three fingers for the pressure plate are not returning to their proper position. When this happens is there a lot of free pedal travel? You may want to remove the inspection cover and see whats happening.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
36henry

Cool Re: Clutch pedal not returning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Sounds as if the three fingers for the pressure plate are not returning to their proper position. When this happens is there a lot of free pedal travel? You may want to remove the inspection cover and see whats happening.
I did adjust the clutch free travel a couple of months ago to stop it grinding into gear, could I just adjust it back?

Have you experienced this problem or seen it before?

Mick
Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Is the spring on the t/out brg there?? Is there a clutch pedal return spring??
Is the clutch actuating arm broken (outside of tranny, clutch pedal linkage connects to this)?
Is it possible the "pin" holding the t/out brg release arm (inside the tranny) has sheared??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Terry,OH

I just used a pressure plate where the fingers did not move correctly by cleaning the finger pivot pins with penetrating oil, then cleaning with brake cleaner and finally lube with a drop of very good 10W oil. After cleaning the fingers moved freely. There was a lot of dirt and light rust. but this was found before the pressure plate and clutch were installed. It is possible you have other damage that could prevent the pressure plate fingers from reseting such as broken spring in the pressure plate or pivot pins that are coming out.
When you adjust the free travel of the clutch pedal you want about 3/4 to 1-1/4 inch of pedal travel before the throwout bearing contacts the pressure plate fingers. The important thing is the adjustment keeps the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate fingers, even at high engine RPM when the pressure plate weights exert their force against the clutch plate. If you had a sudden change in how the clutch and transmission reacted together this could be a sign of problems where as with changes over time an adjustment could be the answer.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Marv

The throughout bearing may be binding on the trans where it moves back and forth. I am sure you can lube it by taking the V8 cover off the trans. If this does not work i guess you will be taking the pressure plate out.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
36henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
The throughout bearing may be binding on the trans where it moves back and forth. I am sure you can lube it by taking the V8 cover off the trans. If this does not work i guess you will be taking the pressure plate out.
Thanks all for the advice, fingers crossed it can be resolved through the inspection cover

Mick