Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Timber bolts

Trying to find 5/16 X 4" timber bolts for the bottom wood on my DD. Can't find them anywhere. Got all excited when i read the thread on the wind wing bolts and someone mentioned "bolt depot" so I checked and they don't have them. I could use carriage bolts or even regular bolts with washers I suppose but would sure like to find timber bolts like the originals. Any thoughts on where to find them? What do others use if timber bolts can't be had?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Timber bolts

How about a picture in case we know them by another name? I have never heard of timber bolts, but I have lead a sheltered life.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
Licensed to kill

Timber bolts are similar to carriage bolts but wider head. Truth is i didn't know what they were called until I looked them up here on the bolt depot and found them (only not long enough). https://www.boltdepot.com/Carriage_b...low_bolts.aspx
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Would elevator bolts work?
I never heard of timer bolts until today. Maybe FASTENAL has them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
monto

Suggest you try someone who installs overhead doors. I recall seeing a carriage bolt used on fastening hinges that has a flat head with no crown. I don't remember if the head was broader than those on conventional carriage bolts. May or may not serve your purpose, but may be worth a look.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Actually, what you are looking for is called a Step Bolt. I think Restoration Supply sells them, but I just made my own a few years ago since I only need two or three. A TIG welder, a lathe, and a carriage bolt puts you in Step Bolt business.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Oldbluoval

Brent is correct (as usual) they are step bolts. New step bolts do not have quite as big of head as the old ones (For those who are anal!!
I think I may have a slew of originals as well as repos.

If you want me to check, come back directly to

[email protected]
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Licensed to kill

Thanks Brent. I looked them up and, yes, "step bolts" are more like what came off the A as they have the square like a carriage bolt rather then the fins like the timber bolts. I've checked all over the net and have yet to find any (of either style) longer than 3" in 5/16 and I need 4". Looks like i will have to make some. Shouldn't be too difficult. Rather than building them out with a welder and turning them down on a lathe, It looks like there should be enough material in the head of a carriage bolt (they are quite a bit thicker) to just forge the head out wider and thinner like the step bolts. I suspect the reason for the wider head is for more support so that the bolt head will resist working into the wood and becoming loose over time. That being the case, another option is to glue the boards together as well as bolt them (on final assembly of course lol) and use regular bolts with large washers, countersunk 1/4" to avoid any clearance issues. This would likely be better than just using step bolts like originally from a structural standpoint.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
Oldbluoval

One quick question...where do 4" bolts go on a DD. I did one of those several years back for a fellow and don't remember bolts that long. Many of the holes countersink to allow the nut and washer to mount up in the wood.
Just curious
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Trying to find 5/16 X 4" timber bolts for the bottom wood on my DD. Can't find them anywhere. Got all excited when i read the thread on the wind wing bolts and someone mentioned "bolt depot" so I checked and they don't have them. I could use carriage bolts or even regular bolts with washers I suppose but would sure like to find timber bolts like the originals. Any thoughts on where to find them? What do others use if timber bolts can't be had?.
Closest thing I could find

Hillman 240114 Carriage Bolt, 5/16 x 4-Inch, Steel, Zinc-Plated, Silver, 50-Pack
It is not flat but is as close as possible.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
One quick question...where do 4" bolts go on a DD. I did one of those several years back for a fellow and don't remember bolts that long. Many of the holes countersink to allow the nut and washer to mount up in the wood.
Just curious
The bolts that go up through the sill plate and hold the cross members in place. Sill plate is 1 1/4", cross member is 2 3/4" for 4 inches of wood to pass through. Cross member counter sunk 3/8" for the washer/nut.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #12
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
Closest thing I could find

Hillman 240114 Carriage Bolt, 5/16 x 4-Inch, Steel, Zinc-Plated, Silver, 50-Pack
It is not flat but is as close as possible.
I don't know if the head on regular carriage bolts are wide enough but I may be able to forge them out but I would only do so if I can get carriage bolts that are NOT threaded all the way and in plain black finish but thanks anyway. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
1crosscut

Consider buying the shorter bolts, cut off the heads leaving an inch of the bolt on the head. Then cut the hex head off a standard bolt and weld the two together to make the correct length. Grind smooth and coat the welded area with zinc. Seems easier to me than trying to forge a new head.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #14
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Consider buying the shorter bolts, cut off the heads leaving an inch of the bolt on the head. Then cut the hex head off a standard bolt and weld the two together to make the correct length. Grind smooth and coat the welded area with zinc. Seems easier to me than trying to forge a new head.
That could be done also but would be quite a bit of work. My thought isn't to "forge a new head" but, rather to forge out the existing head. I COULD go with the 3/8"X3 1/2 step bolts that I found and just counter sink the holes a bit more. THAT would likely be the smartest route to take.