Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default When is it time to sell?

I have three Model A's, 82 years old, not the best of health but enjoy a bit of fooling with them. It is getting much harder to do things, took me a week to install A/C in a coupe and two days to check the valve adjustment in a driver. I'm thinking that it may be time to sell at least two of them. Anyone figure out when is the "right" time to do that? I know I can't bring myself to getting rid of all three at once, but it seems I feel buried at times with too many. Maybe if I had just one I could keep it in better state of repair and cleanliness.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: When is it time to sell?

If they were paintings on the walls of your house and you enjoyed looking at them, would you be thinking of selling.

I have two nice old porch rockers in the garage. I spend many afternoons out there just rocking and admiring our 29. Still drive it about 100 miles a year. Have had it 40 years. Like my Lionel train set, I just enjoy still having them around.

When your gone your gone. If owning a Model A makes you smile, why get rid of it. Just sit back and enjoy it.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
woofa.express

Hi Davey Mc. you have kept your age well by the look of your photo in your Avatar.
When to sell and if is a personal decision and you should act with what your heart, not your head, tells you. I wish you good luck and good health. cheers, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
CHuDWah

I'm not quite your age but I'm gettin' there fast. I've had multiple cars at once and maintaining them all is a job, especially when you're less able to do so. If you're to the point of being overwhelmed, I'd say it's time to thin the herd. I sold all mine and I miss them, so I don't recommend that. I'm sure you have soft spots for all three. My advice is figure out which one has the softest spot and sell the other two.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
... took me a week to install A/C in a coupe ...
Don't feel bad Dave, from start to finish, it took me about 5 years to get the A/C fully functional.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Bob-A

Smile Re: When is it time to sell?

I'm 67 and I am starting to down size already. I've still got two "A's", but
sold my '29 Chevy. This fall I might try and sell my '31 roadster: nice original, runs great. Plus, I have to put my '29 roadster back on the road:
looks great, but one big fat Lemon. Before I get to old to drive. I would like to have one nice "A". An older restoration (done right!) that all I have to do is. Keep the dust off of it, change the oil & adjust the brakes when needed...

Bob-A

PS: Has anybody else noticed the high number of "A's" for sale in Hemming's, the two national club mags, Auto Trader, etc.?
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
ronn

I would just sell one of the three. the least desired. You can always sell another later........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I would just sell one of the three. the least desired. You can always sell another later........

If you want to keep them, perhaps talk to a club and get some help? There are probably inexperienced club members who would jump at the chance to learn from a master. You may even put up a post here on the Barn, see who is close to you and willing to help, do the heavy lifting. Give you a chance to meet some new people and socialize.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Any family members willing to take over the care and ownership of the cars?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

I sold my Model As & just sold my truck. I'm THROUGH driving, I'm NOT SAD about it & think of the $$$$$$s I'll save!
Bill Afoot
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
daveymc29

BILL,, I'm thinking of getting two coupes out of my garage, one being "Vermin" in your avatar. Not that Vermin and the other coupe aren't good cars, but I do know they all need a bit of TLC and I spend a lot of my time at doctors, so I'm a lot like #6 above and I do have a pretty little 29 roadster that even my bride can drive, I think I will be better served with my efforts if I devote more of them to the Roadster, 29SMILE I got from Allan Funt of Candid Camera fame. I don't like driving when it's terribly hot or cold and rainy. Watch the ads. I'm with your thinking on the $$$ saved also.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Any family members willing to take over the care and ownership of the cars?
Be careful! Too many family members feign interest, but all they see are the dollar signs from selling it to the nearest hot rodder!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #13
Roger Green

Davey Mc,
I have a different approach. Maybe adjust your expectations. Take cleanliness, most cars really only need to be washed once or twice a year. I know some could not stand to do this, but really I can still drive them, even if they are dirty. And it really makes the cars of the guys in our club who cares about waxing & polishing look great!
Random ROG
Roger Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

To answer your question specifically, you need to determine when it is a value most to your purchaser. To some, the highest value comes at Springtime because they want something to enjoy for the Summer. Other times, it is after income tax returns have been received. To some who must pay, then April 15th is NOT a good time. If you have a large swap meet annually with a large car coral, often times people come to purchase a new toy with funds in their back pocket. My point is that each geographical location is different, and so you need to think thru your market area.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Be careful! Too many family members feign interest, but all they see are the dollar signs from selling it to the nearest hot rodder!
So true, especially at the time of a death and a will. I've seen family members turn on each other like starved lions when it comes to money and greed.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #16
jwilliams81

Find a younger member in a local club that you know already has an interest. Maybe mid 20's - late 30's. Maybe give them a little discount.
Help build the Model A life and love for another guy or girl.

I kind of agree with the family members faking interest in the car. Times will get tough and more than likely they will sell the car. I like the idea of finding someone with the passion that is young and can continue the car's history.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #17
burner31

February 31st of last year...damn, missed it
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #18
Merc Cruzer

It gives me purpose, since I am still replacing parts and working on it. I figure if I have to go chasing parts on the internet, it keeps my mind busy and in shape.....and that is a good thing! When the parts come in I have to install them so manual dexterity is maintained. All in all your car keeps you healthy.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
P.S.

Hey Dave,

Your club has a couple of really good Model A guys in it. All you need to do is pick up the phone. Maybe have some pizza and beverages for them. Just sayin.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams81 View Post
Find a younger member in a local club that you know already has an interest. Maybe mid 20's - late 30's. Maybe give them a little discount.
Help build the Model A life and love for another guy or girl.

I kind of agree with the family members faking interest in the car. Times will get tough and more than likely they will sell the car. I like the idea of finding someone with the passion that is young and can continue the car's history.

Sell it to someone who is into As as a Hobby, not a stranger on EBay. Have head people who will say wwhat ou wan to hear, and then turn around and flip it, or tun it into a Rat Rod, or Rod it out. Depends if you care what happens to Your As. You may not get as much for it.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote