Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Timing procedure on 59AB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I've read Ford's patent on the helmet distributor. It states that it could be timed by someone with little or no mechanical skills and without the need for special equipment. It does not mention Michael at all.

The average early flathead owner should be able to replace points and time the distributor. It's a job that can be very satisfying without a lot of heavy lifting involved

Hoop...Apparently, the guy has attempted to resolve his situation via several previous steps. You and I have the experience and abilities to diagnose and rectify these kinds of ailments...easy peasy! But this guy obviously isn't happy with his results, nor does he seem confident in his abilities to satisfactorily rectify what is an easily-addressed, simple solution for some of us other mere mortals. I certainly can't travel up there to help him out this week, and I don't believe I heard you offering to go up and fix it for the guy, either. Since he now seems to think that spending un-Godly obscene dollar amounts on a timing fixture may be the route to his distributor's eventual vindication, and since I regretfully can't make it up there to help him out, I merely suggested Michael's services to possibly give the guy some qualified peace of mind for a relatively few bucks.

Does that make any sense, Hoop?

DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #22
Hoop

DD, I'm sure I read it differently than you.

He has already been into the distributor and close enough to setting the timing (with a bit more understanding.) He's been into the carburetor and successfully cleaned it out.

He wants a timing fixture which means he's interested in continuing.

I'm not ready to give up on him.

I agree with you that Michael's (and other's) services are there as a backstop for those who want/need them. But, there is the possibility that the OP wants to learn ... We often discuss getting people involved in the hobby. Maybe that includes being a mail order mechanic.

I always fear falling short of being clear in my writing, but my intention was to encourage him to seek out more information on his distributor. A better understanding of its design/operation would go a long way to expanding his skill set.

The helmet and crab distributors share the same basic design which includes simplicity in timing them. They also share the same undeserved reputation of being complicated and hard to work with.

Anyhow, whether it makes sense or not, I will continue to lean toward encouraging folks to tinker with their distributors.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
DD, I'm sure I read it differently than you.

He has already been into the distributor and close enough to setting the timing (with a bit more understanding.) He's been into the carburetor and successfully cleaned it out.

He wants a timing fixture which means he's interested in continuing.

I'm not ready to give up on him.

I agree with you that Michael's (and other's) services are there as a backstop for those who want/need them. But, there is the possibility that the OP wants to learn ... We often discuss getting people involved in the hobby. Maybe that includes being a mail order mechanic.

I always fear falling short of being clear in my writing, but my intention was to encourage him to seek out more information on his distributor. A better understanding of its design/operation would go a long way to expanding his skill set.

The helmet and crab distributors share the same basic design which includes simplicity in timing them. They also share the same undeserved reputation of being complicated and hard to work with.

Anyhow, whether it makes sense or not, I will continue to lean toward encouraging folks to tinker with their distributors.

Hey Hoopman….NOW I understand where you were headed with this, and I've gotta concur totally with every word you say just above. I'd also like to make amends for taking what you were trying to say the wrong way. Never mind me....as usual, YOU're doing just fine!

Curiosity....Any background on just how you came to be equipped with the name "Hoop"? I figure everybody has a story! But if your story is spooky or embarrassing, never mind! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #24
Hoop

Thank you, DD.

The name? It reflects the area I grew up in and some of the impossibly poor folks that lived there. They were families that lived off the grid. The men came into the factories and mills along the river valley taking the lowest jobs in order feed those families.

Frequently they worked making hoops for barrels in the cooperages.

(It was not fashionable back then to live off the grid, by the way.)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #25
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thank you, DD.

The name? It reflects the area I grew up in and some of the impossibly poor folks that lived there. They were families that lived off the grid. The men came into the factories and mills along the river valley taking the lowest jobs in order feed those families.

Frequently they worked making hoops for barrels in the cooperages.

(It was not fashionable back then to live off the grid, by the way.)

Wow....amazing! There were certainly some admirable people around the nation back in the day, holding their heads high and willing to do what it took to support family and self. Thanks for the brief insight, Hoop. Ya know, I've often hoped that you've been able to shed that body cast and able to run fast again like Forest Gump!

DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #26
bobH

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Back to the 'timing-topic'..... I have a tendency to sympathize on the desire for 'professional' timing. Reason... My (limited) experience has been that MY cars have seemed to run better with a distributor that has been 'professionally' timed (and points set by dwell, and not a feeler gauge.)
Sure, I know how to install points, and set them with a feeler. And, I have three of those static timing fixtures. And, I have 6-inch steel scales that I have used for THAT timing method. But, an out-of-the-box distributor SEEMS to run better than my best attempts.
Obviously, just opinion...
Remember how we did it in the 50's? At the shop where I worked, we NEVER installed points on a flathead. We got a 'rebuilt' distributor from our jobber, across the street. Or, if working at home, we went to Western Auto, or Pep Boys, and got a distributor. I think they were something like $1.95 exchange, with new points, set up, ready to install.

Another PS.... Those prices for a timing fixture? Regarding the ones I have, I can't imagine anything over ten bucks at a swap meet. There's almost nothing to them.

Last edited by bobH; 03-26-2020 at 06:32 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #27
Hoop

My cars always run better after i wash them.

Funny how that works.