Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
cabrioletgalaxie

Exclamation Timing procedure on 59AB?

I need to know the procedure for timing my 59AB after rebuilding the distributor.
The engine will run but it is ragged. I do not have a timing jig for the distributor.
I have seen on youTube that one can find TDC on the #1 cylinder by going through the plug hole but that seems difficult because it's at an angle from the plug hole. Or by looking for a closed exhaust valve in the #6 cylinder. Then I need to know the procedure beyond that.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Timing procedure on 59AB?

Several threads on that topic and a video (Mart).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

In the picture below, look carefully at the slot on the end of the camshaft that turns the distributor. Note that that slot is slightly off center so that THEORETICALLY, the off-center drive tang on the distributor will only fit properly when the distributor and cam are properly aligned. Look carefully and determine which way the slot is offset on the cam in picture. The picture shows the crank on TDC for #1 cylinder FIRING. With your cam slot in the position shown, you can mount the distributor with it's tang turned appropriately and the distributor should be properly timed. Just for reference, if you'll look closely at the crank gear, the keyway is appropriately pointing toward #1 cylinder. Hope this helps ya! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
Tinker

Well lot of stuff here on finding TDC with the heads on. Ziptie on the number 1 will get you in the ball park. Removing the head and putting a meter or dead stop will be better.

One of many posts. Keep asking.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...9657&showall=1

A librarian post.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=10940
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:52 AM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Well lot of stuff here on finding TDC with the heads on. Ziptie on the number 1 will get you in the ball park. Removing the head and putting a meter or dead stop will be better.

One of many posts. Keep asking.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...9657&showall=1

A librarian post.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=10940

For anyone that has paid attention while reading his original post, he plainly states that the engine was ALREADY built AND RUNNING, and he has only removed the distributor for rebuilding. He is seemingly asking only how to properly time the distributor to the engine again. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-25-2020, 12:59 AM   #6
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
I have seen on youTube that one can find TDC on the #1 cylinder by going through the plug hole but that seems difficult because it's at an angle from the plug hole. Or by looking for a closed exhaust valve in the #6 cylinder. Then I need to know the procedure beyond that.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nothing says he found tdc? It's a closed motor. You can mark a early motor to fine tune timing. Finding tdc is never bad.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-25-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:02 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

If you go to Vanpelts site you find a way to time your distributor.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...str-timing.htm
That is a start...then you have to check that your springpressure on the points is good enough...a broken or weak spring and you get issues...not to forget new condensors that are bad right out of the box...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
Hoop

FIRST ... what distributor do you have. Need to confirm that before any instructions can be given.

What gap did you set the points at?

On the small sliding index on the side of the case, which mark do you have it set at?

This will be an indicator to some of us of your situation.

IGNORE all references to finding TDC. It's not necessary.

(Let's focus on setting a workable timing. TESTING the distributor's functions is a different exercise.)
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
FortyNiner

Assuming you have a stock setup, use the VanPelt instructions. Take your time and check your work. I do not possess any special talent or equipment and reset my disty first pass. The timing marks should look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180522_080825.jpg (53.3 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by FortyNiner; 03-26-2020 at 06:32 AM.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #10
Hoop

FortyNiner, the picture you posted above has nothing to do with 59ab distributor timing. Not sure where you found that procedure .... but, it's wrong and confuses the issue.

Last edited by Hoop; 03-25-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
FortyNiner

I took the picture. Are they not timing marks?
Old 03-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
cabrioletgalaxie

Yes, engine is in the car as I toured with it last year. Then had what turned out to be an ignition switch burn out. Before finding that we pulled the dust as we thought the points might be closed. While it was out we replaced points and condenser and set the timing according to what we found on line, but can't remember the number.
I will view all the links your guys sent me and thank you. I hope it shows me a way to time this engine without taking anything apart.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
41ford1

I believe this is what the OP is looking for.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...str-timing.htm

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #14
Mart

I'd say if you have no access to a distributor setting jig, no pointer for TDC, no adjustable timing light and no dwell meter then the best you can do is put it in and drive it, then adjust it a bit one way and see if it feels better and keep adjusting things until you feel it drives the best.

If you have a tdc pointer and an adjustable timing light then you're 90% there.

If I had nothing I'd set both sets of points to 15 thou and set the points plate to the middle mark.

If it is running rough it is probably not the timing that is causing it, but something else, most likely culprit is a bad condenser.

I made a video that shows how to make a reliable TDC pointer and mark. No dismantling necessary, except for a spark plug or two. A timing light with a "dial back" feature would then be useful if one could be bought or borrowed.

Here's a link if it might be helpful to you:
https://youtu.be/dn446jjCVRg

I have a better version that I need to edit. That will go up as a tech short sometime in the future.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #15
Kurt in NJ

I don't know how to do a link, I googled "ford flathead distributor timing" ----there will be a picture showing 2 rulers, look at that, this is what i used when i had a 46 and no special tools

it doesn't matter where the engine position is, turn the dist till it drops in, has to go fully in flush, there is offset on the tang, and camshaft ---only goes properly one way, if you try to pull it in with the bolts it will break
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #16
cabrioletgalaxie

Did you ever "know" that you had an electrical problem and it turned out to be a fuel problem?? Well, that's what happened to me. Because we had put new points and condenser in the distributor we thought we hadn't set it up properly since it didn't run well.
Just prior to that I had found there was crud in the sed bowl that had gotten into the new fuel pump causing it to fail. After trying to clean it and finding the 2 valves in the pump were not the type that could be changed I bought a new fuel pump, installed it and it worked fine but the engine was hard to start requiring 3/4 choke and my foot into the accelerator to keep it running, roughly.
So I thought the distributor was the issue, hence my plea for a way to set up my distributor.
But before I got into that I decided to go the next step with my fuel system and take off the carb, which I had rebuilt just 6 months ago. My thought was that some of the crud in the fuel could have made its way into the carb.
Sure enough with it on the bench I took out the rubber tipped shut off valve just in from the fuel inlet and found a small sliver of metal which I think prevented the needle from seating and keeping too much gas flowing into the carb. By the way when I had initially purchased the car over a year ago I found the gas tank to be full of rust which is why I not only replaced the fuel pump and put rebuild kit into the carb I actually replaced the gas tank thinking I would avoid any fuel issues. But I think the crud I had in the fuel system was actually from the new tank. So I now have an ugly inline fuel filter which I can monitor and replace when needed.
Once the carb was reinstalled the engine fired and ran smoothly.
So for now I will use it as is and as one of you mentioned if I am not satisfied I can just tweak the distributor timing a bit and see if I can improve it.
In the meantime I am looking for a timing fixture but am shocked to find prices ranging from $495. to $800. Scary.
Thank you all for your comments and thank you Mart. I had watched your video initially about making a TDC pointer. Something I may do in the future.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
Because we had put new points and condenser in the distributor we thought we hadn't set it up properly since it didn't run well.

So I thought the distributor was the issue, hence my plea for a way to set up my distributor.

In the meantime I am looking for a timing fixture but am shocked to find prices ranging from $495. to $800. Scary.
Thank you all for your comments and thank you Mart. I had watched your video initially about making a TDC pointer. Something I may do in the future.

Why don't ya just contact Michael Driscoll at 3rd Gen and let him spin that thing up on his very professional distributor machine. Not expensive in the least, and it will come back set-up to perform with "perfection". Send Michael a PM at:

35fordtn

DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #18
Hoop

I simply cannot believe that Henry Ford and Ford Motor Company gambled the entire future of the company on a new V8 engine ... with a distributor that had to be timed by Michael in Tennessee with a machine that hadn't been invented yet.

Does that make any sense?

I've read Ford's patent on the helmet distributor. It states that it could be timed by someone with little or no mechanical skills and without the need for special equipment.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1963657A/en

It does not mention Michael at all.

Timing is ... timing. If you have a distributor with problems like excessive wear, etc. and need it tested and maybe rebuilt, by all means send it to Michael or Charley or your choice. But, timing itself was designed to be simple.

The average early flathead owner should be able to replace points and time the distributor. It's a job that can be very satisfying without a lot of heavy lifting involved
Old 03-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
RobR'35

Very cool Hoop.
Thanks for the link.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #20
Hoop

Rob, don't ever sell that car!