Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default "the shake"!!

I have had some Steering issue's of late and decided to troubleshoot ALL of it. I found that I have some play in my King Pins soooo.......I took the entire steering off the axle.

First, I found one of the Steering arms ball is discolored as in a bronze color? The first thought when seeing this was it had overheated. But, is this possible? The other arm has is completely round but not smooth as I would expect with some marks in it as in is someone took a chisel and chipped it. The car is greased very regularly and only have been in use maybe 16,000 miles. Am I expecting too long of a life for these parts.

I also found three of the four rubber grease retainers around the ball pretty badly cut. Again, am I expecting too much from these parts.

I have looked at the parts available at the major parts dealers and all seem to indicate that these refurbished parts i.e. the balls being replaced. I wonder if there is anywhere I can get a whole NEW part and not refurbished.

Lastly, I have yet cleaned and checked the four bearings involved in this job but short of finding any nicks in the rollers could I not just wash and repack the bearings even with 16,000 miles on them.

Sorry for the long post but tried to get all of my concerns out in one post and get on with the task.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
aermotor

Default Re: "the shake"!!

Search "kingpins" on this forum and make sure the king pins and thrust bearings are "acting right". Les Andrews book has a detailed note on page 1-9
that needs to be closely followed for easier steering.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #3
Wick

Make sure steering box is tight to the frame. Front spring tight to the frame and has a nice arch still left in it. Toe in,check it. If a taper bearing has a chip or flat spots on a roller then replace the bearing and race. I've seen bearings with pitting on the rollers before. If King pins are a little loose,give the holding pins a turn with a wrench. Inspect ball on radius rod.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Cape Codder

aermotor & Wick - thanks to you both for your response and suggestions.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote