Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
COE Dan

Default Question: How to remove stuck inner wheel bearing grease seal?

Ford Barners,

I have a big truck with a 2-speed rear axle. After removing the hub/drums from the axle during a brake overhaul, I discovered the last joker who serviced the truck didn't grease either the inner or outer rear wheel bearings. So I need to pull the bearings and grease and/or replace them.

My problem: I can't get one of the grease seals out (one side was fine). It's a force fit on the inside of the hub and holds the inner bearing in. There are snap rings that hold the seal in. I've been able to remove the snap ring but the previously mentioned joker also sealed the seal into the hub with RTV rubber gasket maker. I've removed what I can get to but I think the RTV is holding the seal in.

I've tried a seal puller and that worked for the other side but won't get the other to budge. I'd like to not hammer the seal out by hitting the inner bearing still in the hub.

I have a replacement seal so I don't need to worry about saving the one in the hub. Any ideas on how to remove the stuck seal without damaging anything else?

Thanks guys.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Question: How to remove stuck inner wheel bearing grease seal?

The 2 speed on the 46 big truck I had the wheel bearings were lubed by the diff oil---no grease needed other than a little to hold it till the oil made it out there

several sheet metal screws and crowbar--claw hammer???
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
COE Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
The 2 speed on the 46 big truck I had the wheel bearings were lubed by the diff oil---no grease needed other than a little to hold it till the oil made it out there

several sheet metal screws and crowbar--claw hammer???

Not a bad idea. Since I don't plan on reusing the seal, I never thought of a making a puller.

The two-speed rear axle section of the Ford repair manual on Rear Axles (dated 15 Nov 1945) specifies packing both inner and outer bearings during reassembly. The operator's manual for heavy duty trucks (dated 1947) specifies repacking both inner and outer wheel bearings with Ford Wheel Bearing Lubricant M-4664 every 10,000 miles. The lubrication chart addresses both single speed and two speed vehicles and does not specify a difference when greasing the wheel bearings.

Is there other guidance out there that suggests not using any grease at all?

Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
WestCoast

if you have a stud welder you could weld 5 or 6 studs to the outside of the seal and then use the slide hammer to work the seal out
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
supereal

If the bearing was run dry, it is likely "welded" to the housing. It doesn't take long. The only way to get it out is to cut the bearing apart. That is a tough job, as the bearing parts are hardened. Last year, one of our guys forgot to repack the rear wheel bearings on a Chevy one-ton truck. The owner made it part way home until it seized and ruined the housing. Luckily, it didn't result in losing the rear dual wheels on the road. We had to replace the entire rear end on our dime, and find a new tech.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
49fordv8f4

The rear wheel bearings on the 3/4 ton and larger trucks need to have the wheel bearings packed with grease. They won't get enough lube from the differential to properly lube the bearings. I oiled the rear wheel bearings with gear oil on my '47 COE 2 speed axle when I assembled it, as I was told that they were lubed by the differential. When I pulled it apart several years later, the bearings were flaking. The axle oil level was full.
Mark
49fordv8f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Teich

To get the seal out use a bar with a bend on the end, put in past the seal and tip outer end up or down to get at the seal to drive it out,or use a lady finger bar to pry against the bearing on to the seal pushing it out. If there is only one seal, ie the inside one, the bearing runs in oil from diff anything that runs in grease only will have two seals of some kind. Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
COE Dan

Thanks guys for the ideas on removing the stuck seal. I'll put your inputs together and see what works.

The bearings fortunately did not seize to the axle housing and three of the four appear to be ok despite lacking grease. I think that's due largely to the fact the truck hasn't been driven too many miles (less than 1000) since they were installed dry. I don't drive it far or carry heavyweight loads so I can likely get more life out of the bearings.

As for greasing them, I'm going to pack them in accordance with the Ford service guidance. The grease won't hurt and it can't get back into the axle housing to gum up the carrier.