Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
tubman

Default Throwout bearing choice

I'm about ready to put the engine back in my '51. With my new Fort Wayne clutch, I'd like to put in a new throwout bearing. I would really like to re-use the original, but it's noisy when you spin it and rattles when you shake it. I have 2 new throwout bearings I have picked up over the years. One is marked : "C7AZ-7580-B" and "CB 1181". The second is marked ".1625-12." and "FM-MEX". The first one looks a little different from the original, but it appears to be functionally the same. From the part number on it, I believe it is a later model Ford replacement part, country of manufacture, unknown. The second appears to me to be a straight replacement made in Mexico. When I turn them manually on the collar, the "FM-MEX" one seems to be just a bit smoother than the other. Anyone have any insight on which one would be better to use? Has anyone ever experienced a throwout bearing failure? What's the general opinion on Mexican bearings? The last thing I want to do is have to replace a failed throwout bearing after I finally get this thing back together.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote