Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #41
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: What's a comfortable model a speed?

My car with 19" tire and 3:78 rear end ratio is turning 2628 rpm at 60 mph.thats 400 rpm over the optimum rpm listed by ford. Why you want to " over rev " for extended periods , I don't understand. I drive 50 a lot, and 20% of my 32,000 miles on this engine is at 55. It just seems happier at 50 or below. Anyone know what the piston speed is at this high. rpm?
PS. My 6.0 YMCA will go 200,000 to 300,000 miles. Guess what? 90% is 2000 rpm. Plus it's not an un balanced 4 cylinder.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #42
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That also applies to modern cars. For the past 4 years I haven't even turned my radio on in my modern car, because there is nothing worth listening to. But an added plus is that I feel even more aware of driving and more aware of other drivers, as none of my attention is taken away by listening to garbage on the radio. There are just too many drivers doing stupid things for me to be distracted by anything.

Most if not all modern cars have air-conditioning. I'd hate to go back to doing without it but it "cocoons" the driver. Back when we had to roll down the windows, we were more aware of what was going on around us.

And don't even get me started on cell phones!
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #43
Art Newland

I think the question should be " what's a comfortable speed for smashing in to something".
Too many things beyond our control out on the road. A Model A is not going to survive a 60 mph sudden stop very well.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #44
WHN

Ours runs really nice 35 to 45 mph. Why push an 88 year old. Enjoy the ride and smiles.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #45
RawhideKid
BANNED

I think this says it all. How fast can you stop?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog

I know it is from another post, but it tells the tale.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

Lots of good variable Model A opinions and experiences told thus far concerning different comfortable driving speeds.

No doubt many feel comfortable upping Model A speeds on today's wider, modern smooth paved highways.

To try to experience the 1930 Model A rural driving conditions of 65 years ago ..... in my opinion ..... finding non-classified, narrow 1920's/1930's rough gravel roads in most areas today is about as difficult as trying to find women's pink underwear hanging "outside" on a clothes line ......... and especially ..... trying to find women's "small size" pink underwear hanging outside on a clothes line !!!

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-18-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #47
frank55a

I typically drive 55. However my 29 Tudor will purr along very nicely all day long at 65. I typically drive the back roads and try to stay off any road that starts with an I.

In the March/April 1965 MARC NEWS there was an article about a stock 28/29 Tudor that set a new record from LA to Phoenix averaging 62.2 MPH. Took a different way back and averaged 60.1 MPH. Consider what those roads were like in 1930.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965 Mar-April pg 16.jpg (59.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by frank55a; 05-19-2017 at 09:26 AM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #48
Cool Hand Lurker

When you are alone do what you want.
When you have someone else in the Model A do what they want. You have them in there to show them a pleasant experience in a Model A. So do it.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #49
30ccpickup

The only mod on my coupe is a 1931 police "B" head. I do between 60 and 65 with a full load and the feds behind me. With the wife and kids in the car I do 45 to 50, but in Chicago with my buddy Al, I do about 20 to 25, that way it doesn't effect the aim of the guys on the running boards. What it can do and what you should do is two different things... I live on a dirt road and it is unbelievable on how much nicer my A's drive than my moderns.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: Everything is relevant, different times, different geography, different topography, different highway conditions ??

Flat land and straight highways in arid regions with low water tables accompanied with tremendous soil bearing capacity differ tremendously from curved highways in humid areas with higher water tables with much lower bearing capacity creating bumps and pot holes.

I remember driving from Toelle Army Depot west of Salt Salt Lake City to Reno Nevada in about 1988 where we met almost no traffic.

Today I would not hesitate to drive my Model A on this route at 99 mph on 21 inch rims with no tires and a radio blasting the song Casey Jones ..... but how about driving on the back curved hilly roads through Smokey Mountains or Ozark Mountains with lots of rural traffic? Hmmmmm ?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #51
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
but how about driving on the back curved hilly roads through Smokey Mountains or Ozark Mountains with lots of rural traffic? Hmmmmm ?
Not really, people travel by canoe, just don't stop and get out to take a pee. The local boys will have fun with ya and make ya squeal like a pig!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #52
30ccpickup

To some things up ( in my opinion), restored well and common sense... There has been situations when I pushed my A harder than I would of liked, but I was confident it could do it. In the most part, I plan my routes to the ability of the car. Brakes come first!!! it

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #53
1930marie

Our club tours are based on the cars traveling at 45 mph. My car feels good at 35 mph and anything more I think I can feel the babbitt getting pounded on. So, I miss all the fun touring with our club members and resolved with the "slower" 35 mph speed based on my car's "dicey" stopping capability as well.

Last edited by 1930marie; 05-18-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: edit
1930marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #54
1931 flamingo

Mine has a sweet spot 35-40, on the highway or I/state she likes 50-55, right lane, eyes on the rear view mirrors always.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #55
jm29henry

50 to 55 no problem
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #56
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I run mine at 55 as that is where it feels comfortable. A lot of the Model-As that we do are comfortable at that speed. On the other hand, some Model-As are only marginally safe at 40 mph, and are better suited at 35. The question I would ask your uncle is, why did Ford have a speedometer that would register 60 mph if the car was only good for 45 mph when new?
was the speedometer maybe more a less a stock design for various cars, including cars with more horsepower and higher speed?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #57
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The question I would ask your uncle is, why did Ford have a speedometer that would register 60 mph if the car was only good for 45 mph when new?
You mean any car should be able to go as fast as the highest number on the speedometer
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #58
captndan

There is no right or wrong answer. Every car is different. Every driver is different. Don't listen to someone else in the car. Listen to the car itself. The car will tell you where it's sweet spot is if you listen. Drive that sweet spot.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #59
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
There is no right or wrong answer. Every car is different. Every driver is different. Don't listen to someone else in the car. Listen to the car itself. The car will tell you where it's sweet spot is if you listen. Drive that sweet spot.
Gee, if I listened to my car, I'd have to park it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #60
H. L. Chauvin

"Comfortable" Model A Speeds Can Definitely Be Drastically Altered by Serious Model A Owners Who Want To Listen to Sound Advice by Experienced Model A Forum Members.

I just removed my five, (50) year old, <hard as a rock>, 19" Goodyear forever wandering "Bias" tires and replaced them with five (5) new Coker 550/19 "Radial" tires.

For a true and honest evaluation, (as also kindly and seriously reported earlier by such gentlemen as Mr. John LaVoy, Mr. Carl G., and so many others):

1. With new "Radial" Tires, my 1930 Town Sedan's Sugar content has quadrupled; and,

2. My "Sweet Spot" has elevated so high that I'm not only looking for highly concentrated Lemon Extract to add to my gasoline and crankcase; but,

3. This Memorial Day Weekend I'm seriously contemplating washing my car with pure vinegar and sour pickle juice to lower this much elevated "Sweet Spot".

4. Even thinking about removing my Bill Stipe shocks because the far softer rides on back roads are so much softer than that told in the famous "My Pillow" TV advertisement.

But on a real serious note, Mr. John LaVoy was correct in saying that after installing new Model A Coker "Radial" tires, one will have an urge to drive one's Model A far more often, if not all of the time.