Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Nathan_1929

Default My 1929 Closed Cab Pickup Project

Howdy folks. I'm Nathan; 29 years old (at time of writing), and admirer of old machines.

This thread will be about my 1929 Closed Cab Pickup project I recently bought.

First, for those who like stories, my history with Model As:

My first experience with a Model A was being aware that the dusty, disassembled car shape in the back of the shed for my whole life was a "Model A." I knew it was my grandpas, but he died when I was quite young. I never saw anyone pay it any attention.. and neither did I, really.

That is, until I was a teenager and still bitter about a breakup with my girlfriend. Haha. I decided spending time in the shed would help heal the wounds, and investigating just what the heck this Model A thing is would be a good avenue to pursue.

So, the story was: My grandpa had a Model A before WWII. Upon returning from the Pacific theater, he wanted to, and did, get another. A 1929 Tudor. He used to give folks rides into town. Sometime ~30+ years ago, it was stored in my his mothers shed. Work was being done on her house (floors?, roof?) and it is believed that one of the workers took an interest in it. Whoever it was hooked a rope to the Model A and the other end to their truck, and after stealing an old farm scale and a few other things, took off with the loot. The thief/thieves made it a couple miles down the road before the rope snapped. The A crashed into a ditch where it rolled onto its side. As luck would have it, 1) the car suffered fairly minor damage (rear fender cracked and frame horns were bent), and 2) the ditch was in front of my grandmothers brothers house, and he yelled out to asked the guys where they got the car. They took off, leaving it. The car ended up back at my grandfathers house.

My uncle then began disassembly for restoration. He got it about 1/3 disassembled before work stopped. I have a bunch of pictures of the before condition, my work, and my uncles work, but I'll only include a few since this thread isn't specifically about the Tudor.

[Find picture]

My grandfather died in 1994, and the Model A was given to that uncle. In 2006, I began my work on the car, which sparked my uncles interest. My funds were limited, but my heart was in the right place.

[Find picture]

Thanksgiving of 2010, my uncle took it to his shop, and it's currently being nut-and-bolt restored.

[Find picture]

Last time I saw it:

[Find picture]

Yet, this was bittersweet. Now that the family A is in good hands, I needed my own. I would look on craigslist and ebay, but having a lot of projects, I wasn't 100% sure I needed a large one. I can fit quite a few vintage motorcycles in the same space of a vintage car.. I still kept an eye out just in case.

February 25th of this year, Craigslist had what I was looking for. I braved the snow, ice, and cold in the middle-of-nowhere in Illinois, and found my A. The price was right, too. Took this less-than-stellar cell phone shot once we got to the nearest gas station.

It's not in the best shape, but I honestly don't care. I think I'll get more looks/conversations from a rusty old truck than a shiny one. Plus, it's cheaper that way. Haha.

It's missing the cloth top, interior, and glass. I have all sheet metal and am simultaneously rebuilding a spare engine and transmission we had in the shed. The other missing items in this picture actually all fit in the bed of my Silverado. I later found out the both the radiator and gas tank are "beyond repair." That's not preferred, but not devastating. I plan on keeping this pickup forever, so the cost will wash out in the end.

More stories and pictures are to come. I think this post is long enough for now.

Edit: Why are some of my words turning into hyperlinks?

Last edited by Nathan_1929; 12-04-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Nathan_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote