Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
russcc

Default Removing '40 rear hub seals

What is the right way to remove the rear axle hub seals ? Thank you Fordbaners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Removing '40 rear hub seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
The right way?
Nine times out of then, I have been able to knock them out with a blade type screw driver set an angle through the opening at the end of the housing. That one other time out of ten? I used a rounded - thin pry bar to knock it out.
Of course both methods require applying the old hammer to the driver.

Do you have the tool for installing them?
Old 05-24-2020, 03:19 AM   #3
Aarongriffey

I am assuming you don’t know you must take the rear end apart.
I just did them on a back ‘40 deluxe coupe two years ago , but I also did them on a model A this last November.
Have the gear oil draining while you remove both rear brake drums.
Disconnect rear spring at both ends. Do you have a spring spreader?
Remove the left radius rod and hand brake linkage. Also disconnect left brake tube from left wheel cylinder.
Block up the center section so it doesn’t fall to the floor when you
Remove the left axle housing.

Now grab hold of the left axle shaft and pull the gears and right axle out of what is left of the differential housing.
Shine a good flash light in from the large end of rack housing to see the hub seals.
The right one that’s on the car will stay there ok while you knock it into the center from the outside.
Stand the left one that’s off the car on the big end. Stand it on a clean surface, cardboard, plywood, rug, whatever. Knock the seal down out of there.
Now the fun begins.
Gonna post this much before it gets lost.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:24 AM   #4
Aarongriffey

Second sentence should read; I just did them on a black ‘40 DeLuxe coupe, etc.....
Old 05-24-2020, 03:58 AM   #5
Aarongriffey

If you don’t have the seal installer tool you can make one.
I just don’t remember what I used on the last ones.
You mist find something like a broomstick or plastic pipe that will jut fit through the new seal and is about a foot longer than the axle housings are.
The left side is easy.
Stand the axle housing on the small end drop the seal in but over a piece of pipe or a broom handle so the seal can’t tip over and land upside down. Get that flashlight out again.
I just don’t remember what I found that worked great to pound the seal into the machined out space it has to set in. A much larger piece of pipe that won’t mess up the inside of the seal? A piece of plastic pipe the size of the in side of the seal maybe. And a larger pipe to go over it to push the seal in while the inside one holds it in place.
Before you drive the seal into its groove you should mark whatever you are using to push the seal in right at the end of the housing so you’ll know if the seal went in. It has to go in about 5/16 of an inch. Or about 8 mm. Look at the old seals and try to determine how far it was in.
Otherwise you’ll never know if it is in far enough to stay.
Far the right side I maybe used a plastic pipe with a foot cut off and put back together with a plastic sleeve that is bigger than the hole in the seal, then put the seal on the sort end and get it started in there. May need to pull it in from the right side to get the seal centered and started into its seating position, the pull the pipe out and use something as big as the seal to push it in all the way.
Now I hope you measured the gaskets thickness on the end where it bolts to the center section. Next post will explain.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:22 AM   #6
Aarongriffey

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The thickness of the two, three or four gaskets at the big end where it bolts to the center section is VERY important.
With a micrometer take two pieces of gasket material a try to determine how thick the gasket was. Usually you will find there were three gaskets sandwiched together. At least two.
The last one I did measured .011. I put it back together with two paper gaskets with sealer, the gaskets measured .010” without the sealer.
I like to use copper spray to hold the thin paper gaskets together and where they’re going.
The sealer is really not needed if you’re working out of the wind.
The carrier bearing crush is adjusted by the thickness of the gaskets. The left side also adjusts how far the pinion gear goes into the ring gear.
So I put a little more crush on the carrier bearings which shouldn’t hurt on a car 91 years old but I would prefer not to get the gears set any tighter together. If they are a little bit farther apart than before it won’t hurt, but if they are too tight they can through gear teeth at high speed.
Put the other stuff back on, torque the outer axle nuts to 100 foot lbs.
Fill the differential with 80/90 or 75/90 or 140 with a little monkey sweet or whatevever your preferred gearoil may be.
Good luck.
Aaron Griffey
Hayward, CA
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 AM   #7
Aarongriffey

Shucks! The man said hub seals.
I was thinking outer axle seals.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
Shucks! The man said hub seals.
I was thinking outer axle seals.
But shucks, it's still good information for those who need to replace inner axle housing seals.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #9
skidmarks

Quote:

KR Wilson made a rear hub wheel bearing puller that makes the job very easy. A regular seal puller will do it but some can be a pain and other pop right out.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:13 AM   #10
russcc

Thank you all for your ideas. The seals were original GK Ford script, in there for 80 years. Tried the crude big screw driver method, but didn't like it. So here is how I did it;
Tools used; Vise, pry bar, 1/2" diameter x 12" long steel shaft, bludgeon, wire.
Method; hold the drum/hub in vise, insert bent end pry bar between seal and bearing, slide the steel shaft in so it aligns with the pry bar next to the seal, wire the end of the steel shaft that sticks out of the axle keyway end of the hub up to a lug nut to keep it place, hold the pry bar in place with one hand and hit the opposite end of the shaft with the bludgeon close to the seal. Out the seal pops. Made an aluminum tube seal setting drift on the lathe.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
19Fordy

Gosh, I thought Kube nailed it. Isn't this the seal being discussed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7431small.jpg (46.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7393b.jpg (43.5 KB, 25 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #12
skidmarks

Quote:
Thank you all for your ideas. The seals were original GK Ford script, in there for 80 years. Tried the crude big screw driver method, but didn't like it. So here is how I did it;
Tools used; Vise, pry bar, 1/2" diameter x 12" long steel shaft, bludgeon, wire.
Method; hold the drum/hub in vise, insert bent end pry bar between seal and bearing, slide the steel shaft in so it aligns with the pry bar next to the seal, wire the end of the steel shaft that sticks out of the axle keyway end of the hub up to a lug nut to keep it place, hold the pry bar in place with one hand and hit the opposite end of the shaft with the bludgeon close to the seal. Out the seal pops. Made an aluminum tube seal setting drift on the lathe.
For installing them, the seal driver i made to use with a piece of 5/8 allthread and a nut with pieces of pipe welded to it like a big wing nut. Installs the new seal smoother and very little effort then driving them in with a hammer
Old 05-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Gosh, I thought Kube nailed it. Isn't this the seal being discussed?
Negative. That's the rear bearing seal. The rear axle seal is inside of the axle tube, and needs to be knocked out toward the banjo center, thus axle disassembly and long installation tools are required to service them.

I've reinstalled them with a few long socket extensions hooked together and a big socket on the end the size of the seal.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
KR Wilson made a rear hub wheel bearing puller that makes the job very easy. A regular seal puller will do it but some can be a pain and other pop right out.
This. I've used seal puller and it can take a few tries to get them out, but they will eventually.

It's important to get out the ring lock. Without removing that, you're fighting quite a battle.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #15
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
This. I've used seal puller and it can take a few tries to get them out, but they will eventually.

It's important to get out the ring lock. Without removing that, you're fighting quite a battle.
If you miss the lock ring. You shouldnt be messing with it to start with. Pretty obvious
Old 05-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
If you miss the lock ring. You shouldnt be messing with it to start with. Pretty obvious
Haha. Good point. Sometimes that hub is so grimey, it's hard to see.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote