Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
Oldbluoval

Default Hershey thoughts.....

It was with a degree of sadness that I read Rainmaker Ron was giving up his spaces; maybe just for this year, maybe not, didn't say. He did elude that he was 82 and travel away from medical care was a factor. Hopefully, that may right itself and he will be back in 2018.

Firstly, thanks to Hershey Region for over 40 years of fun, fraternity, excitement and anticipation that the annual October event has added to my life. I have only missed two since 1976. I was a 30 year old "pup" back then and could scour those muddy (sometimes not muddy) fields many times over in 3-4 days. Now days, even on pavement I am lucky to cover "most' of it once. One thing of note is the number of "no-shows"; 9/11 was a sparse year, obviously. But thereafter, it seems the spaces may only be 75-80% +- occupied. I think hangers-on just pay for the spaces thinking "maybe".

And then there's attrition and run-out. Being a Model A and 33-34 Ford person, there is no reason to expect that most(or many) of the parts will be such. What permeated the fields in 1976 now are absent. Not a complaint and nothing to be done, it does seem that non-automotive is a MUCH bigger percentage of the flea market.

It is also with great sadness that I heard of Buddy Frazier's fire losses; most of his vast collection was lost in a fire back in April. Buddy had a tremendous inventory of rare parts; many NOS and for sure he was a source of scarce Model A stuff. Another Hershey "fixture" that won't be bringing that stash of goodies for all to pour thru. To Buddy and Carolyn, we love you and hopefully God will lighten your hearts from this.

This is meant to be an aging flea marketers diary note and not any criticism. Just a reflection of time marches on, things change and what used to be....ain't anymore.

I will still arrive with great excitement, park myself in the Chocolate South Field, set up my display of parts I make and start the trek once again. The differences are many of the old gang have passed, what I am looking for likely will not be found (I'm a needle in the haystack guy), my legs and feet will ache at the end of the first day. I will have just as much fun not finding stuff, just as much comradery, make some new acquaintances and glean some new knowledge (humbling me that I did not really know it all after all).

Again, thanks to Hershey Region for all the years. Not to be pessimistic but as I age, events like this sometimes give me a momentary pause of "could it be the last time"; how many years do the legs, feet and back have left? God has been good to me; most of us get better than we deserve!

BU
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Hershey thoughts.....

I agree with your sentiment Old blue and that is how life goes...............

I recently resubscribed to Hemmings Motor News after so many years and my feelings are exactly identical to what you state about Hershey.
In the end, it is what it is.
remember the good times and extract what you really enjoy from what is left.
Hemmings has become nothing more then a ton of ads, but I felt it my duty, to support it, because wo Hemmings, there is very little left of that sort.

anyway, dont know if Im going to Hershey, but enjoy what you can, while you can.
a half tooth is better then no tooth!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

You know Bill, it is ironic this came up as my shop foreman of many years is retiring in a couple of weeks, and also my mentor (Dad) passed away last year, -and you & I discussing Buddy's loss a few weeks ago, ...and now just this morning I was thinking how much this hobby has changed for me over the past 5+/- years. I believe you are spot-on when you say it was the camaraderie that makes Hershey and this hobby we all share so special.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

I know how you feel, I turned 81 in December and wouldn't have thought of missing Hershey, then recently my Hershey buddy died unexpectedly and he was 8 years younger than I and in good health. I've had a few health problems but hopefully nothing serious but it gave me thoughts of not going anymore and staying closer to medical care and the family. Then when Phil died the picture changed so I will miss Rainmaker and the others I've met, but it was a good run (almost 30 years) but I still love Model A's.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

I'm new to the hobby 7-8 years, yet even I can see differences in that short time. I was 32 in 76 and my hobby was mahogany speedboats. They were cheap then (How things change) I could get something halfway decent for $3-400, make it go faster. and flip it and put maybe $200 in my pocket. Cars were well, just cars! Plus I didn't have the storage space for them. So I wasn't getting to Hershey... Yet! In 77 I was invited on a 10 day trip to New Mexico, west Texas, but my friend Bob was into 55,56 57 Chev and Corvettes, and I wasn't, but I went anyway, Very glad I did! But I recall not seeing any 30s vintage cars. Most of what we saw were the old cars of 1977 and the few 55s etc.Because we were working alongside the mobile crusher, Bob figured that was the last trip. They were stripping out the last of the 50s and 60s vintage cars and sending them to japan and they came back here with new names like Toyota, Datsun, and Subaru. So I got a taste of what was and what might have been. But only a taste! I can't believe Bob is now 70 yo and his brother Richie, is 81 I was at their wedding! This can't be! This is some horrible nightmare Im having! No, the pain pills on the table for when my back is acting up tell a different story. It's sad to think about.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
2manycars

Time and tide wait for no man. We went to Hershey for the last time two years ago. I am about 71 with several medical issues, and my sweetie has serious medical issues and had to use an electric scooter to get around. Many many spaces were empty, or had a motor home parked in the spot, but no parts or cars for sale. I could look up a row and see nothing for sale in the whole row. I miss seeing Ron and Swampy, and so many others, and visiting the MARC tent and the Lebaron Bonney tent and the Dennis Carpenter tent, and the Coker tent, but that is all in the past now. It is a 6 hour trip, and we cannot do that any more.
I remember when I would buy a crate of huge apples and sell them for 25 cents each and that would pay for my space. The year my daughter was born (1973) we towed a pop up camper with a 68 mustang all the way, and took her, although she was a month old. I miss going with my father, who died in 1981. Nothing lasts forever, and sadly Hershey is gone for me.
With my sweetie having a knee replacement this summer, I have been lucky to be able to sneek away to a cruise in for an hour or two. I guess we are all slowing down some.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Ed H.

This is why it is so important to pass this hobby on to the young. Most will laugh at this but I have had my model A since 1963 when I got out of high school. It still sits out back, obviously in need of TLC.

My son has been after me to "git her going". So 50 yrs later i am starting in. I will not live to finish it, my son has promised he will take over where I leave off. I just turned 73 and yes as with the rest of you I have health issues.

Oh in case you are wondering, I was an auto mechanic most of my life, yes auto mechanic not a "tech". Started out working on 63 Chev's right off the truck. I guess that is part reason why I never go to the car. Did that work 7 days a week, not in the mood to come home and rip into the A. The front end has been under cover all along, so is in good shape. The motor does turn over. We will see if she will fire up in the near future.

Such is life, never been to Hersey, may grab my boy and go down so he can get an idea what , where, when and how to built a beautiful car.

Thanks for listening.

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
Bill in NJ

It might be a good idea for the two of you to join a local model a club in your area. They have a lot of good advice and knowledge for FREE !
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
mhsprecher

I first went to Hershey in 1966 when I was 15. My best friend, whose family took me then and with whom I went many times, passed away this spring. A huge loss to me on many levels. We literally grew up together and had so much shared experience, Hershey and old cars being just one. I will go for myself and in memory of him.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Kurt in NJ

Even with 1/2 the spaces otherwise occupied there are still more venders than 30 years ago. And there always been times that I felt there was "nothing good" for sale, last year I found things I have been looking many years for--- NOS parts, and I bought them for much less than I would have paid--- things I have almost never seen for sale--- I do have a complaint-- they pick up the trash too quick, I always go "picking" at the end, and many times sold my picks for more than the price sticker on the item---- I will go even if I have to sleep in the back seat of the car
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
pooch

Same as our swaps here.

Sometimes I have found dumped items that the vendors got tired of carrying, and these are the same parts I have paid money for during the swap.

The trash cans and dumpsters are always worth a look in when they start packing up.

Two Ballarats (big swaps) ago, a guy was tired of carrying 3 sets of 28 rear bumpers around, and saw my T shirt with WANTED MODEL A PARTS on it, and gave them to me very early in the day.

Spotted a guy carrying a rusty 28 front bumper an hour later, asked him if he needed rears, he said yeah sure do, I sold him one of the free sets for $30.

Swaps are fun.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
Midwest Tin

This will be the first year I will miss Hershey in the last 30 years. But I will be back in 2018! I know this coming Oct. I will be rethinking why I'am not at Hershey and regretting it. Good luck to all that will make the trip to the one and only Hershey! Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Wick

This will be trip #11 for me at Hershey and I'll be 58 then. I always find things I don't need.....yet?
I've been to a few 3 day swap meets this year and have told people younger then me how to get spots at Hershey. Auctions are not producing a supply of parts in va,md,pa. For me like they use to. BUT......I'm putting a lot of miles on my truck picking garages, sheds and hot rodders. The stuff is still out there!!!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Roger V

We talked about this a couple of Hershey's ago, Yes, it was fun and productive but not so much anymore. I didn't go last year after forty-six years without a miss. Last week I sent Mac a letter of transfer of my three spaces to my Hershey neighbor. Nothing is forever, well I suppose eternity is the exception.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #15
Roadster62

2017 will be 48 in a row for me at Hershey, so many great memories. People and cars that made such an impression on my life. Both our kids and grandkids made it to Hershey before their first birthdays. I've gone with a lot of money and arrived with almost no money, ALWAYS had a good time. I've got all summer to find a load of parts to fill my spots. I think about the people I'd see there once a year, and really miss the ones that are gone forever. Bob
Old 06-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #16
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I agree with your sentiment Old blue and that is how life goes...............

I recently resubscribed to Hemmings Motor News after so many years and my feelings are exactly identical to what you state about Hershey.
In the end, it is what it is.
remember the good times and extract what you really enjoy from what is left.
Hemmings has become nothing more then a ton of ads, but I felt it my duty, to support it, because wo Hemmings, there is very little left of that sort.

anyway, dont know if Im going to Hershey, but enjoy what you can, while you can.
a half tooth is better then no tooth!!!!!!!!!!
I remember when Hemmings was the Bible. I am the sixth paid subscriber! I gave Ernie Hemmings 50 cents in the fall of 53 and the first issue was 2 pages in January of 54. Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #17
2manycars

Here is how far back my family goes with Hemmings. (see photo). I just got an invitation to re subscribe, but could not see the point, when most of it is auction stuff and commercial ads, and the print is too small for me to see.
I wish my father had kept the 41 tudor, which I drove to the very first Belltown Car Club show 50 years ago. The 41 station wagon was a beauty, and the clutch could be depressed with one finger, but never slipped. (memories)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hemmings02.jpg (78.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #18
Oldbluoval

While no longer a subscriber.....
A buddy of mine has a Hemmings issue containing my ad when I lived with my parents
I have been married 48 years this past May!
Time do fly!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
This will be trip #11 for me at Hershey and I'll be 58 then. I always find things I don't need.....yet?
I've been to a few 3 day swap meets this year and have told people younger then me how to get spots at Hershey. Auctions are not producing a supply of parts in va,md,pa. For me like they use to. BUT......I'm putting a lot of miles on my truck picking garages, sheds and hot rodders. The stuff is still out there!!!
You guys don't know how lucky you are. Finding Model A stuff here anywhere but at a swap is like looking for rocking horse $#!T. I envy you and when the times come for another A for me, I might ask here if anybody has a lead for me. (I have bought 2 Model As out of the US)
As for the way swaps are going, I'm 68 and have had a health issue or two (2 heart operations last year, for example. Just as well they didn't cost me anything!) but I feel good now. Visited Hershey 3 years ago and would like to go back but the travel there is a killer. Swaps here seem to be becoming flea markets with car parts stands getting further and further apart. I'll keep going though because I like the fellowship and camaraderie. Those not in the old car movement have no idea how rewarding it can be.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #20
blgitn

I will be there with my wife and grandson: I print pictures of what we're looking for and we cover the place field by field. We did Spring Carlisle like that in the rain this year.
Those swaps may not be what they used to be, but there's nothing like them anywhere else.
I do have to take the heir-to-the-throne to chocolate world, but it's a nice break.

-Roger.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #21
jimalabam

Sad to agree, but time does march on. For me and others as noted above, at 80 years old , I cannot sprint through the gate before dawn, and leave at dark. BUT it is still FUN-FUN-FUN, and I will continue as long as left foot forward, right foot forward is possible.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

I've missed Hershey for the past 10 years, but would like to make it back again at least one more time.

Does the town still smell like chocolate?
I've heard they moved production to Mexico.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #23
Oldbluoval

No chocolate aromatics as I've detected
I think the only things made there are some Reece's ptrodicts and that is a few miles away
This cross the border crap struck again. I don't knowingly buy stuff to eat made out of USA
But I'm sure I get tricked(lied to) often. But I seldom eat candy anyway
Old 07-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #24
Synchro909

The younger generation are not interested in cars. Is it any wonder? Just look at a modern car. Take the badges off one and you can't tell if it is made in Europe or Asia or anywhere else, let alone which brand. Anything that burns fossil fuels is on the nose to the younguns, many of whom do not drive a car and the very thought of owning one is abhorrent to them. As the number of electric cars increases, our cars will become more and more antiquated till buying fuel for them will become a problem. I predict that petrol stations will stat closing within about 20 years. That won't bother most of us but I find it disappointing.
They call it progress and trying to stop it is like trying to stop the tide coming in with a broom. What will hose younguns have to give them the same as we get out of our collector cars?
Old 07-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #25
ronn

Does the town still smell like chocolate?
I've heard they moved production to Mexico.

dont smell it anymore, though Ive heard they've moved some of their production back...........?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote