Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
shop teacher

Default Model A engine rebuild using 283 chevy pistons

I have read that chevy pistons can be used in an engine rebuild, with changes to the rod ends. What is the advantage to using them? Is it a weight issue or a more modern design slipper skirt advantage?
I am trying to get information for my 29 Tudor engine rebuild, which will be used for casual cruising and some short distance drives.
Also do the improved engine mounts make a difference in smoothness/vibration when used(I know I will get different schools of thought but still would like to hear them anyway). I am really enjying my new hobby as my wife reminds me I have had the car for a few years and just started to work on it.
Thankyou for your comments
shop teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Dave in MN

Default Re: Model A engine rebuild using 283 chevy pistons

I do rebuild engines and I use both. The main reason the 283 pistons are used is to get the narrow rings. They are said to seal better than the Model A rings. For casual driving, I think they are not worth the effort. JMO.
Regarding the motor mounts: I do not use them. I think you can do quite well by replacing the rubber mounting kits for the original type and then invest the money you save in balancing and weight matching your engine components. Balance the entire rotating assembly for the best results. This involves taking the front pulley, installed steel gear, crankshaft, flywheel and clutch pressure plate to the balancer. Have an engine shop weigh your rods and pistons and make adjustments as necessary.
I hope you continue enjoying your hobby!
Good Day!
Dave In MN
www.durableperformance.net
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Terry, NJ

Question for Dave, Do the Chevy pistons protude over the deck as much as the original pistons? I have an engine with a .040 overbore and the pistons don't hardly protrude beyond .020, if that. I was wondering if they are CHevy pistons.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

The Chevy pistons I've seen have 4 pockets for valve clearance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Ross/Kzoo

I just helped a friend put the original pistons back in his '57 283 two days ago and the tops were flat. IIRC my 265ci's were the valve reliefed tops.

PS. One piston had 1 relief but that wasn't factory installed LOL.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Jim Brierley

I used a set of Chevy pistons once that were .080" down in the hole, to lower my compression and because they are stronger. I machined steel bushings, tacked them in the rods and honed the fit to press in the Chevy pins. It worked fine. Not sure now what engine they came out of but they were less than 4".
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
George Miller

283 piston pin height is different. So the piston sets lower in the cylinder by a lot. You will need special rods from one of the suppliers. They sell inserted rods for 283 pistons.

The pistons take narrower rings, they are also cam ground, so the are bigger across the skirt.

I have used 283 pistons a few times, some times made my own rods, before you could by them already made.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
columbiA

For the limited use that you plan for your Tudor,I would stick with stock pistons,babbit,motor mounts etc.Even a bone stock engine is capable of many 1,000,s of miles before overhaul.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

A couple of questions on using 283 pistons as I was leaning that way, but after reading this I am not sure if that is what I want or not as I do not wish to lower my compression ratio any.

1) Do the Egge 283 style pistons being offered for the Model A have a raised deck height to make up for lower deck height mentioned above?

2) Are the incerted new rods for the 283 pistons alittle longer center to center to make up for the differnece in deck heitht?

Either scenerio I would find acceptable. Just curious as with the money I spent on a 6.5 Brumfield, I don't want to end up with lower compression than what I was aiming for. Thanks Rod
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
A couple of questions on using 283 pistons as I was leaning that way, but after reading this I am not sure if that is what I want or not as I do not wish to lower my compression ratio any.

1) Do the Egge 283 style pistons being offered for the Model A have a raised deck height to make up for lower deck height mentioned above?

2) Are the incerted new rods for the 283 pistons alittle longer center to center to make up for the differnece in deck heitht?

Either scenerio I would find acceptable. Just curious as with the money I spent on a 6.5 Brumfield, I don't want to end up with lower compression than what I was aiming for. Thanks Rod

Yes the inserted rods for 283 pistons are longer. Plus they are made for the .927 wrist pin in the 283 pistons.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
1930artdeco

I put the EGGE barrow ring pistons in my car with 5.5 Snyder head. The pistons protrude above the deck-quite a lot, at least to my untrained eye. But I also had to have the block decked. I have lots of power...now if I could just dial in the carb...

Mike
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Kevin in NJ

I believe you can stroke your A with them.

Get a B crank or have an A crank welded oversize. Then have the throws ground down to the A size but out enough to get the pistons up to the top.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks George, I was thinking that would be the case as much as what went into them to make. Hoping to get busy on the delivery again late this spring. I am not sure at what point beyond buying parts that I will get to the engine. Rod
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
M2M

Which piston plus rod set-up is heavier? The Ford A or 283 Chev? I read on a previous post that the Chev pistons are lighter but if they need a longer rod that may change the equation.

Last edited by M2M; 12-28-2012 at 06:43 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Thanks George, I was thinking that would be the case as much as what went into them to make. Hoping to get busy on the delivery again late this spring. I am not sure at what point beyond buying parts that I will get to the engine. Rod
If you do use the chev pistons, it is a good idea to put them in with the mark for the front to the rear. That will reduce the already to much piston off set in the block from the factory. The 283 piston have off set built in them. So if you put them in with the mark to the front it will have even more off set. If you put the mark to the back the off set will be right on.

You might want to go to egg e pistons and get there pistons for the narrow 283 chev rings. Un less you are going to drive your car hard and long, you do not need chev pistons.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Aerocraft

I use the newer Egge Model A style pistons with ring glands machined for the Chevy small block piston rings. They come with standard Model A Ford piston pins. I am running them in three engines using Falluca's inserted rods.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
modelAtony

Pete's automotive in Albuquerque,NM. has the 283 chevy pistons that are made for A engine ask for john cosper the son . Very good engine builder and also does inserted engines, him and his dad were some of the first to do inserted. have fun modelAtony Lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
AL in NY

I used Pete's 283 pistons in my rebuild in 2011. John is great to do business with, no regrets. You can order them in any standard Model A oversize and they fit standard Model A rods. If you go with the stock Chevy 283 pistons you'll need to buy the special rods Antique Automotive sells. Pete's pistons are around $250.00 a set and come with rings and pins. Rich's 283 rods are $570.00 a set and you still have to buy the Chevy pistons.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Afan

This sounds like a good way to go as you can use a modern design
Afan is offline   Reply With Quote