Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #41
P.S.

Default Re: MAFCA Board of Directors Elections

Brent- Yes, I agree. The organization shouldn't try to be everything to everyone. That's a formula for failure. However, I do think they are missing the boat in a couple areas that would make them more relevant. My point was- As I see it, unless you are involved in a few specific activities that form the "Model A hobby", they are almost completely irrelevant. And that is why I asked if I was missing something, because it is certainly possible that I am.

Jeff- Thanks a lot, man! I'm sure amongst this group here, we could come up with LOTS of great ideas that would make MAFCA a relevant, and powerful voice to many more Model A enthusiasts. It's clear from this thread that not everyone sees MAFCA membership as worthwhile. That paints a dim future for the organization if they don't make changes or modernize a little. Simply creating a website is NOT enough "modernization" to count anymore. Organizations (especially national organizations) need to make themselves relevant and their membership needs to hold great value.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #42
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I don't necessarily think you are "missing" anything in as much as it appears your interests and the goals of that club are apparently not the same. I do think you are missing out by not at least trying to broaden your interests/participation within the hobby. I personally view participation within MAFCA/MARC is just like any other organization like PTA, Kiwanas, or even your church. A person can go to a church on occasion without the need to join that congregation, ...and it is very likely that one won't receive much satisfaction back if they don't put any effort in. For me on the other hand, I find I usually have a good time if I am willing to try something new and participating with others. Sometimes the interest may not there for me to do that very item again but to most hobbyists, it is about the camaraderie & fellowship of fellow Model-A owners. The club is just there to provide a medium, ...and 'excuse' if you will for those to get together to share their commonality.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #43
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I'm a younger guy myself, and I did join MAFCA, but only because an older guy who is in to the local club scene as well as MAFCA told me to. He said it was essential. So far, I tend to disagree.

Wife and I have a Model A because we like it, not because it is a hobby. We use it as a weekend car for our trips together. Neither of us wants to play "dress-up" or have it "judged" or commit our Model A to use only on pre-arranged club tours. The idea of joining a single file line of Model A's on 2-lane highways once a month just rubs us wrong.

Our interest in the Model A car is for many other reasons, including the absolute simplicity of the car and lack of computers or other modern "fluff". It could have just as easily been an early VW, except for being foreign. We also wanted a car made in America.

Meanwhile, I really don't know what MAFCA does, other than send out a nice magazine or be a cheerleader for the clubs that promote the very "geezer" activities we don't want to do with our car. We absolutely can't stand the thought of dressing up like actors playing 1920's people and driving around in the car. We'd feel pretty stupid! I know there are some people (like the older guy that made me join MAFCA) who really enjoy playing "dress-up", and that's OK. The fact that MAFCA promotes playing "dress-up" is OK too. I'm simply saying, I don't see the benefit of our membership at all.

So, since my wife and I are apparently the future of MAFCA in some small way, please enlighten us on what point(s) we're likely missing. Does MAFCA have a program for people that just use their cars for occasional pleasure use only that isn't club related? Does MAFCA do anything for the mid 30's and 40's people who don't care about conventions, playing "dress-up", driving single file in a group of Model A's, playing with Hubleys, judging cars, having their car judged, or reading a magazine about these activities?

Perhaps the organization would appeal to more people if it became more like AAA, but for Model As. In other words, have MAFCA approved repair shops, parts vendors, repro suppliers, etc. And, administer the program so that if you need something for your car, and you find a place that is MAFCA approved, you would know that your Model A will receive the best in care/parts/whatever. And if not, you tell them and they threaten to yank the MAFCA seal of approval unless they make it right. Maybe adopt a MAFCA insurance company partner program where if you join MAFCA, classic car insurance companies would offer discounts or whatever being a member.

Now, THAT would keep my membership dues coming year after year. Otherwise, seriously considering dropping it next renewal. We just don't see the value in being members.

Thanks!
PS— You raise valid points, but they all come down to one thing, I think, and that is participation. Some of us are just not joiners (and I'm one of those, though I have been a member of MAFCA since 1970), but the more you participate the more you get back, and that's true of any activity.

And since you have some good ideas for improving MAFCA, may I suggest that next year you run for the Board? You live in CA, which makes Board attendance pretty easy. I had two major issues with MAFCA in 1979, and couldn't get any action on them: 1): MAFCA should pay for Board members' transportation to meetings so as to encourage nationwide representation on the board, not just guys from California; 2): There was a supplier, who regularly advertised in The Restorer, who was doing shoddy work, and I felt that MAFCA should not allow disreputable suppliers to advertise in the club mag because it looked like endorsement.

I ran for and was elected to the Board, and in the first year both of those issues were addressed: the Board voted to subsidize travel expenses, which has greatly increased national representation on the Board; and the bad supplier was banned (though he has now returned... and is still doing shoddy work. I may have to run again!).

Even though I initially only had two issues, I subsequently had a lot of fun, met many new and wonderful people, and helped move the club in new directions on other items.

So cowboy up and help make the club what you think it should be. You will be rewarded many times over.

(Apologies to Jim for hijacking his thread. But I think this is relevant, and I've already voted for him and hope he gets elected.)

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #44
P.S.

Thanks, Ray. Very good point.

If I was a retired person, then running for the board would be something worth looking into. However, as a business owner/operator and being an employee of another company, I'm already putting in anywhere between 60-70 hours a week at work, then have a small farm to run and family to serve when not at work. Just not happening.

Maybe that's why there aren't more younger people involved? Younger people still tied up with work, family, etc.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #45
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Thanks, Ray. Very good point.

If I was a retired person, then running for the board would be something worth looking into. However, as a business owner/operator and being an employee of another company, I'm already putting in anywhere between 60-70 hours a week at work, then have a small farm to run and family to serve when not at work. Just not happening.

Maybe that's why there aren't more younger people involved? Younger people still tied up with work, family, etc.
Sounds like your plate is full! Maybe you (or maybe I, or anyone else here who recognizes their value, for that matter!) could send your ideas to the MAFCA Board. They are certainly worthy of consideration.

You may be right about younger people running. I was 35-38 when I served, but I worked for myself and my time was pretty flexible.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #46
Jim/GA

A few people have asked me how the MAFCA elections turned out. Here is a copy/paste from their home page:

Election Results

October 28 - from Jerry Wilhelm, 2012 Membership Director
The election for the MAFCA Board of Directors has been completed. Dave Jones informed the board that there were 18 volunteers working the vote counting on Wednesday October 24th at MAFCA headquarters in La Habra.
Congratulations to the MAFCA Members who were elected to the Board of Directors for the term 2013-2014.
  • Charles Cheshire - Dallas, Texas
  • Dan Foulk - Bakersfield, California
  • Douglas Linden - Southborough, Massachusetts
  • Trudy Vestal - Placerville. California
  • VaughnCille Weidner -Yukon, Oklahoma
These members will be installed during the Awards Banquet being held in Charleston South Carolina on December 11th. In addition, both of the Bylaw amendments passed. Thanks to all who voted!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #47
700rpm

Jim, I'm sorry you weren't elected. I think you would have been a good new voice. I also think that on their site MAFCA should thank those who ran and were willing to serve but were not elected.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #48
Jim/GA

Oh, yea, I plan to run again next year.

It's all good.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote