Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #21
Keith True

Default Re: PROPER Frame Paint

In the late 70's I bought three very original chassis that came out of Canada.A chicken farmer in town was up there for some reason with his truck,and brought back two roadsters and one coupe.They had always been under cover,but pretty well stripped of fenders,hoods,and radiators.The bodies were promptly sold for hot rods.He tried to sell them to A guys,but was told they were too incomplete to restore.He was going to scrap the chassis so I got them for a few dollars over scrap price.Those frames were nearly perfect,all had bent front horns,but no corrosion ever,and the bodies were never off until he took them apart.The paint on them was thin in a lot of places,but it was almost gummy where it was still thick.It also leaned toward brown,nothing like rustoleum brown,but more of an off black.There was actually mill scale under the paint in spots.The running board brackets were black,but the rivets were rusty,like they never were painted.Once the sun got to those frames for a few weeks the paint started to chalk,and turn to powder.Another thing,nothing to do with the paint,not one of those frames had a serial number stamped into them.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #22
Roadster62

Thanks Keith!
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #23
d.j. moordigian

Jim, Brent;

I understand what you are saying, studying, looking at original pictures and looking at a fine point car. Would you give us the 4 points of gloss and examples of which parts
it would apply to? This is much better than the MELT DOWN of three weeks ago, I see
some light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you, Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
Ken Ehrenhofer

I use PPG Concept and it works great! yes it is glossy and over time it will dull down a little. If I was building a show car I would use a little flattener to degloss a little so it does not look so shiny,
In order to go a little cheaper they also have an Omni brand that also works very well.
IMHO
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #25
TechNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
I use PPG Concept and it works great! yes it is glossy and over time it will dull down a little. If I was building a show car I would use a little flattener to degloss a little so it does not look so shiny,
In order to go a little cheaper they also have an Omni brand that also works very well.
IMHO
Ken
I did my frame with powder and have been matching it with PPG's Commercial performance Coatings AUE-100 single stage with a flattener to get about 70% gloss. This matches my powder very well.
I have been using PPG CPC EPX-900 series epoxy primer and AUE-100 single stage on many projects, I have a different flattener ratio for my Nova and Chevelle undersides. I can get the 70% formula if someone wants it.
The AUE-100 is about $65/ gallon with hardener. Much cheaper than Concept.
I am a professional body tech and have used AUE many times over the years, not a high gloss for exterior of cars, but great for frames, trailers and equipment.
TechNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
Brubaker

Tech, When you powdered the frame, did you have an option on the 'glossiness'? Can powder coat be done at 70% gloss?
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post
Tech, When you powdered the frame, did you have an option on the 'glossiness'? Can powder coat be done at 70% gloss?
All the way down to 15% gloss.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
TechNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post
Yes, it can be varied. The standard every day black we did was 70% for snow plow frames. I liked the look for the Model A frame. Because we were a large company there was a minimum amount of powder you had to buy for non-standard colors. It takes alot of time to purge lines and clean the booth for a color change. Other job shop types have different systems that allow easy color change and no minimums.
Since I like the 70% it cost me much less, less than I can wet spray for.
TechNova is offline   Reply With Quote