Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA/USA/EU/RUSSIA
Posts: 821
Cool Do I need this?

__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA/USA/EU/RUSSIA
Posts: 821
Default Re: Do I need this?

And speaking of Optima, in Europe they also get 6v yellow tops.


__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Jacksonlll
Senior Member
 
Jacksonlll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan-- Member of Oakleaf of MARC
Posts: 1,277
Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Do I need this?

That is a huge waste of money. Just my opinion.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
J Franklin
Senior Member
 
J Franklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 3,976
Default Re: Do I need this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Why are your posts so GIGANTIC?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
alexiskai
Senior Member
 
alexiskai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mebane NC
Posts: 371
Default Re: Do I need this?

I did connect batteries in parallel like that one time, and they were Optimas, but the only reason I did it is because I had accidentally deep-discharged one of them – to the point where my trickle charger wouldn't start the flow of power when I connected it.

Someone then informed me that you could connect another battery in parallel between the dead battery and the charger, get the charger to start sending power to that battery, and the power would "overflow" to the dead battery. And then after doing that for a while you take the second battery out and recharge the first one like normal.

And it totally worked. Brought that Optima back from zero.

I dunno why you would do this in a car, though. Like if you cannot run your Model A off an Optima red-top, you have other problems.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA/USA/EU/RUSSIA
Posts: 821
Default Re: Do I need this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Why are your posts so GIGANTIC?

I'm trying to help out the vision impaired community.
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
woofa.express
Senior Member
 
woofa.express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tocumwal, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: Do I need this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I'm trying to help out the vision impaired community.
M2M, You're doing okay.
__________________
I know many things,
But I don't know everything,
Sometimes I forget things.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA/USA/EU/RUSSIA
Posts: 821
Default Re: Do I need this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I did connect batteries in parallel like that one time, and they were Optimas, but the only reason I did it is because I had accidentally deep-discharged one of them – to the point where my trickle charger wouldn't start the flow of power when I connected it.

Someone then informed me that you could connect another battery in parallel between the dead battery and the charger, get the charger to start sending power to that battery, and the power would "overflow" to the dead battery. And then after doing that for a while you take the second battery out and recharge the first one like normal.

And it totally worked. Brought that Optima back from zero.

I dunno why you would do this in a car, though. Like if you cannot run your Model A off an Optima red-top, you have other problems.

I can think of one reason. Although this setup still gives you 6v I think it boosts the cold cranking amps tremendously which would be good to have in Arctic winter temperatures of below -40. Your vehicle’s battery loses 50% of its power when the temperature falls below 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C).
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
Ford-A-baquet
Junior Member
 
Ford-A-baquet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Default Re: Do I need this?

50% of battery power is sufficient to fire the sparks. You stay in front with the crank, that helps to withstand the arctic winter.
Sorry, here the link :https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-tutorial.html

Last edited by Ford-A-baquet; 11-06-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Ford-A-baquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #10
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA/USA/EU/RUSSIA
Posts: 821
Default Re: Do I need this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford-A-baquet View Post
50% of battery power is sufficient to fire the sparks. You stay in front with the crank, that helps to withstand the arctic winter.
Sorry, here the link :https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-tutorial.html

Stay in front with the crank you say...
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
alexiskai
Senior Member
 
alexiskai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mebane NC
Posts: 371
Default Re: Do I need this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I can think of one reason. Although this setup still gives you 6v I think it boosts the cold cranking amps tremendously which would be good to have in Arctic winter temperatures of below -40. Your vehicle’s battery loses 50% of its power when the temperature falls below 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C).
Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8XD9E/

80 Watt 36" Battery Thermal Wrap. Keeps the battery warm. Much cheaper than buying a second Optima red-top.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Kurt in NJ
Senior Member
 
Kurt in NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the Littlefield
Posts: 4,871
Default Re: Do I need this?

A few years ago we had a several day real cold spell, the A had been sitting for 4 months, no charger, the 10 year old optima, a single one was enough at -10 to start it
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
Ford-A-baquet
Junior Member
 
Ford-A-baquet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Default Re: Do I need this?

Stay in front with the crank you say...

I do not think you will reach the zone of the polar bears with your ford a
Ford-A-baquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #14
Ranchero50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 100
Default Re: Do I need this?

I keep a trickle solar charger on my truck to help keep the Optima topped off during the winter. Makes a difference.
__________________
Building a '29 Speedster, the hard way...
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.