Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Post Re: y-block blow by..

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog565 View Post

So, what needs to be done to Fix this problem?
You read the URL I showed describing the OEM SYSTEM?

Because of your intake type (plenum hanging over valley cover). there will have to be a few modifications. I am sure that what the original owner attempted.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #22
reddog565

Default Re: y-block blow by..

Yes sir I did! Very good info..
reddog565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #23
reddog565

What do you guys think about adding the road
Draft tube, I have it blocked off..
Old 11-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Quote:
What do you guys think about adding the road
Draft tube, I have it blocked off..
That would be a step backward! Those road draft tubes only worked at highway speeds, and not too effectively then. Around town. speeds were too slow to generate any draft at the road tube. One reason why so many Y-blocks sludged up and starved the rocker arms.
Try this: With the engine idling, lay a piece of cellophane over the fill tube. There should be enough vacuum build up after a few seconds to pull the cellophane into the tube. If not, check the PCV valve for proper flow. Some valves threaded into the carb/intake, so the flow was from the barbed (or hose) end into the intake. Other similar looking PCV valves threaded into the block/valve cover so the flow was from the threaded end, out through the hose and on to the intake. The internal check valve will block flow if the PCV valve is backwards.
You could make/adapt an oil fill cap with a hose running to the air cleaner to reburn the blowby, like OEM PCV systems do.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #25
darrell

the fumes shouldnt be that bad.what do you have for tail pipes.your not getting exhaust fumes by chance
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #26
KULTULZ

Simply put a VACUUM/FUEL PRESSURE gauge on the dipstick tube. That will tell you if there is a partial vacuum or a pressurized crankcase.

A PCV Valve is not a precise piece. The OEM was calibrated for a specific engine(s) and was calibrated to work with several. The fuel/IGN curves were modified to work with whatever valve. As the engine wore/lack of maintenance, the system failed. Modify manifold vacuum with a cam or never adjust the valves and it will throw off the OEM System. That and the early designs were not that concise.

There are also not as many valve applications as there once was. Many have been deleted and/or replaced (the one fits all and CHI-COM).

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Quote:

What do you guys think about adding the road Draft tube, I have it blocked off..
In addition to or in lieu (Fr.) of the PCV?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #28
KULTULZ

Read This - http://mewagner.com/?p=444

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #29
reddog565

As usual guys, great answers! I think we're slowly making progress? I was leaning toward the road draft but thanks I'm not going to do that now. I tried the cellophane trek put it over the oil filler tube, it did not get sucked down in! What I did find was the breather cap was filled with oil! As far as the toxic fumes, it's just the blow by coming out of the engine. I have dual exhaust with the tail pipes coming out the back and I'm positive there is no leaks. So it's all getting down to I don't think my PCV valve is working properly? If it was when the engine was running it should have sucked that piece of cellophane down in the filler tube. But it didn't.so my question now is I have vacuum going to the PCV valve why is it not working?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #30
reddog565

IMG_20191116_162141580.jpg
Old 11-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #31
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: y-block blow by..

Quote:
What I did find was the breather cap was filled with oil! As far as the toxic fumes, it's just the blow by coming out of the engine.

Bad sign. Now there are two styles of caps, one is OPEN, its having a filter element in it and CLOSED, the cap drawing fresh air through the air cleaner. What style do you have?

I hate to be disrespectful, but that PCV install is gnarly ...

Is the car a daily driver?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #32
reddog565

No disrespect at all! You are absolutely right it is gnarly and it needs to be remade! Yes I drive it daily when it's
Not too cold. No heater! Lol! the cap is a repo of an oem
It has a logo on it stating front. It has a foam filter in it.
there are no air cleaners on this car so there's no hose to run it back to.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #33
Hot Rod Reverend

Why not hook up a hand-held vacuum pump (like the ones used for bleeding brakes) to the hose that is hooked to the carb port? Unhook the hose there and use the vacuum pump to suck air through as a simple test to make sure the PCV valve is oriented in the correct direction to flow air from the crankcase to the carb port.

If you have a set up like Kultulz showed in his post as a suggestion, I do not think that the threaded boss (I think originally meant for carburetor/accelerator bellcrank assemblies) goes through to the crankcase on every single block cast from the factory. As I recall, I have seen blocks that contained holes that that did not go completely through. You may just want to double check that the hole goes completely through in that location.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #34
reddog565

Thanks for joining the conversation hot rod Reverand.
I'm sure between everyone I'll come up with a solution.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #35
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Simply put a VACUUM/FUEL PRESSURE gauge on the dipstick tube. That will tell you if there is a partial vacuum or a pressurized crankcase.

A PCV Valve is not a precise piece. The OEM was calibrated for a specific engine(s) and was calibrated to work with several. The fuel/IGN curves were modified to work with whatever valve. As the engine wore/lack of maintenance, the system failed. Modify manifold vacuum with a cam or never adjust the valves and it will throw off the OEM System. That and the early designs were not that concise.

There are also not as many valve applications as there once was. Many have been deleted and/or replaced (the one fits all and CHI-COM).
To add to this, some years back (late '80's-earluy '90's) some vehicles (I think Ford Ranger was one) specified that the PCV valve be changed to a different part# after break-in. That's how specific the calibration was.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #36
40 Deluxe

Quote:
It might be worthwhile to copy most '70's or so Ford systems: That is, fresh air into the engine through one valve cover, then fumes out the other valve cover through the PCV valve into the intake manifold (the system on your car will leave stagnant fumes/condensation under your valve covers, allowing for possible sludge and rust). Do those nice valve covers have pads to drill holes to add rubber grommets for the PCV valve and fresh air inlet? Or hide them on the back sides? If you do this, you will need to block the oil fill tube with a solid cap so no air flows through. Also, OEM PCV hoses were larger than on your car for better flow.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #37
Daves55Sedan

I also have that same repro oil filler cap they sell for the '50's Y-blocks with the foam filter inside. I did NOT like that foam filter. When it came time to clean it, I submerged the whole cap in a coffee can full of gasoline. After a day or so, the gas melted the foam filter enough that I could pull it out thru the middle underneath.
Then I took a bat of household fiberglass insulation and cut enough off of it to stuff it down inside that cap. It turned out to be a pretty good filter.
The gas also dissolved the black paint, but no big deal, I just repainted it with some cheap Rust-O-Leum black paint, and voila, like new again. Still using that cap.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #38
Daves55Sedan

This is a little off the subject, but why are we seeing Connecticut and Pennsylvania residents now converting their Y-blocks to PCV ??? Are the northeastern States laws now demanding emission controls like calif ?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #39
TT Ford Man

Disconnect pcv and run engine and see if is puffing smome. If it is not you have poor pcv vaccum or crank case ventilation. If is puffing smoke a broke ring , not seated ring or intake gasket not seated properly sucking oil from under the intake.
TT Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #40
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
This is a little off the subject, but why are we seeing Connecticut and Pennsylvania residents now converting their Y-blocks to PCV ??? Are the northeastern States laws now demanding emission controls like calif ?
Converting your engine to a good PCV system from a road draft tube is one of the best things you can do for it! Positive Crankcase Ventilation removes corrosive combustion blowby gases that would otherwise condense and form acid and sludge. No matter how good the rings are, every engine has some combustion gases getting past the rings. With a road draft tube, these gases went into the atmosphere to add to the smog problem or condensed into the oil. Sucking this stuff out of the crankcase and "recycling" it back through the intake was a major reduction in smog. It was about the first step in pollution control, and works wonders in keeping older engines clean. So it's a win-win!