Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Quick Jack Car Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I would never ever use concrete blocks to support a car.
When I read an earlier post sying he uses cement blocks, I was going to post the same. It is a BIG no no.
If a cement (actually, it's concrete. Cement is only an ingredient of concrete) is given a shock or overloaded os it cracks, its strength goes from 100% to 0% in a micro second where as wood will mostly retain its strength. There is less chances of wood (unless it is oily) slipping too.
For your own sake (and your family), DON'T DO IT!
Old 10-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #22
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
................... Personally I would save a few more hard earned dollars and purchase a good 4-poster, I could stand under the car to work on it in comfort, perhaps it would be safer and you could store another ???? on top or bottom. They even come with drip trays..... if your A drips!
I'd favor this route also, if your garage can fit one.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #23
CT Jack

A pair of car ramps placed under all 4 wheels will raise the car higher than the Quick Jack, also be safer and only cost about $80.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
shew01

I was wondering about the stability myself. I don't think I would feel comfortable without Jack Stands. But then again I have never seen a Quick Jack in person either.
[/QUOTE]

It’s quite stable. It has automatic locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #25
77Birdman

I have seen a couple of guys make homemade stands out of blocks of 2 x 4's. Every other layer is placed perpendicular to the previous layer. Much the same as cribbing whilst raising a building. You can go as high as you like. the last layer has the blocking going cross ways opposite the direction of the wheels which keeps it from rolling.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
Nedco

Anumber of opinions about Quick Jack, anyone using MaxJax for Model A vehicles. My shop has 10.5' ceiling. (1930 four door Murray body and 1931 truck)
Nedco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
Mike the Grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedco View Post
Anumber of opinions about Quick Jack, anyone using MaxJax for Model A vehicles. My shop has 10.5' ceiling. (1930 four door Murray body and 1931 truck)

Don't own one. I've considered one. My concern has always been the unknowns with the concrete slab. I guess if I had built the building that would help but otherwise I would opt for a four post. (unfortunately that wont fit in my garage.)
Mike the Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #28
LEM

I’m going to put this on my Christmas list.

www.ezcarlift.com
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #29
jimcarl

Thumbs up Re: Quick Jack Car Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM View Post

www.ezcarlift.com
I like the looks of that! Let us know when you get one and how you like it!
jimcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:23 PM   #30
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM View Post

www.ezcarlift.com
I'm wondering if this type of lift will even work on a Model A. Looking under my car I have a muffler and brake rods that look like they may be in the way. I assume you would have to use some sort of blocks to avoid them??

By my calculation, it will only lift the car 8". My frame is 18" off the ground just sitting.

Somethings to think about...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #31
daren007

If you have a "pit" hide it from your insurance company.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #32
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I'm wondering if this type of lift will even work on a Model A. Looking under my car I have a muffler and brake rods that look like they may be in the way. I assume you would have to use some sort of blocks to avoid them??

By my calculation, it will only lift the car 8". My frame is 18" off the ground just sitting.

Perhaps make/attach some spacer blocks to between the car and quick jack?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #33
jimcarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

They have this picture in their gallery and mention 6" blocks:
https://www.ezcarlift.com/gallery/fo...odel%20A-2.jpg
jimcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #34
alexiskai

Looks like EZ Car Lift has a version for the Model A that you would order that has 45" cross-members and 6" spacer blocks. This places the lifting platform exactly under the frame on both sides, clearing the low-hanging chassis components. Costs $60 extra.

They also sell a caster accessory kit, so you could put the car on the lift and then roll the whole thing across the garage or into a storage niche.

Neat product, glad to know this is out there if I need it.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #35
shew01

I got under my 31 Victoria today and started positioning my Quick Lift (it’s a 5000 lb model) under it to see if it would fit. Technically, the lift would probably fit, but you would need to be careful to dodge the muffler and brake pushrods. Since the frame of the car is already so high, the lift isn’t going to do much lifting. I’ll stick with my jack stands.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #36
shew01

Default Quick Jack Car Lift

My Victoria frame is 17” off the ground. The lift comes with 8 rubber blocks to go between the lift and the car. You can pick the 4 short blocks, the 4 tall blocks, or stack the blocks on top each other. Using the tall blocks, the lift will only push the jack point 18.5”. If you stack the short blocks and tall blocks together, the lift will push the jack point 20.5”. So, for me, if I use the Victoria frame as the jack point, the Quick Jack only pushes the car up 3.5”. Here are some pictures. The first one shows the auto-locking mechanism.

I use the Quick Jack for all my modern cars, but I don’t think I’ll bother with it on the Victoria.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #37
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
When I read an earlier post sying he uses cement blocks, I was going to post the same. It is a BIG no no.
If a cement (actually, it's concrete. Cement is only an ingredient of concrete) is given a shock or overloaded os it cracks, its strength goes from 100% to 0% in a micro second where as wood will mostly retain its strength. There is less chances of wood (unless it is oily) slipping too.
For your own sake (and your family), DON'T DO IT!

^THIS!^

When I was young and foolish (as opposed to old and foolish like now ), I jacked up one corner of 39 Ford and put a concrete block under it. The block cracked as soon as I let the car down enough to put weight on it. Yeah, a 39 is heavier than a Model A but still...

Fortunately, no part of my body was under the car or the block.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #38
Alaska Mike

The build up of fumes and gases in a pit are well documented. The solution is to install a "propane drain". The name comes from the fact that propane is heavier than air and will fall to the lowest point. All you have to do is install a regular 3 inch drain in the pit floor, minus the trap. The pipe would run to the outside, just like any other drain with proper slope. You don't tie it into any other lines, just so it drains out over the hill some where. The fumes "drain" out just like water or any other liquid. Some municipalities require it for a regular garage or anywhere vehicles are stored.

This is also why most municipalities require the gas water heater to be installed at least 24 inches above the floor in an area where vehicles are parked, like a garage.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #39
Hunter

Hi Y-Blockhead!

I have a QuickJack and it works great on my modern cars and a 65 Corvette. I bought it mainly to use on my 29 Model A Coupe and the 65 Vette. I love the QuickJack, but could not make it work on the Model A. The Quickjack needs parallel frame rails in order for it to work. At the front of the Model A that I have the frame rails move closer to each other. The muffler also interferes with the placement of the QuickJack.

I don't have the height in my garage for a regular lift, so I thought this would be a good choice. Happy with the purchase, but it doesn't work on my Model A.

Thanks - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #40
corvette8n

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256084
I use mine on my '41 coupe, my ceiling is low so I can only lift it to the first notch, left it this way all last winter, no problems at all. I don't know anyone with a model 'A' so I'm not sure what combination of rubber blocks or adapters you would need.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote