Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #61
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: June 7-11 V-8 Club, Chantilly VA National Meet

The Eastern National Meet was a huge success and a a lot of fun. This was my 4th national meet and every time I have more fun than the last. Thanks to the Northern Virginia Regional group for a great meet. My V8 friend Alex and I flew into Dulles Tuesday and Jeff Horrocks (VeryTangled), John Mason and Glenn Sanders picked us up at Dulles in a 1936 Ford pheaton and 1935 Ford fordor. HUGE thanks to these men for being so kind.

If you're not a V8 club member or are and haven't attended a meet, sign up. Become a member and attend these events. We drive these V8 Fords and see some incredible if not at times once in a life time sights while doing so. I promise you will have a great time. There are often so many great places to tour you have a hard time picking the ones you want to attend.

Thanks again to Jeff Horrocks for the use of his 1935 Ford fordor for the week. That was a very generous offer I could not refuse! I hope to see all of you fine people next year!

p.s. I have some photos to upload but the Fordbarn is not allowing that to happen at this time. When Ryan gets things fixed I will post some photos here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enm1.jpg (109.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg enm2.jpg (82.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg enm5.jpg (108.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 06-13-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #62
mhsprecher

Seth,

Great to meet you and some of the others I had not met before. I already knew Jeff and JM. It was a lot of fun, for sure. Maybe some day I will have a car at one of these meets!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #63
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Seth,

Great to meet you and some of the others I had not met before. I already knew Jeff and JM. It was a lot of fun, for sure. Maybe some day I will have a car at one of these meets!
Same to you Milford. It's a lot of fun driving on these tours. I'll bring a car to Dearborn. This was my 4th meet and as long as my schedule permits I plan to keep attending. On my bucket list is a cross country trip like John and Frank completed to Lake Tahoe. I had a great time in Chantilly.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #64
fordv8j

I too enjoyed the Chantilly meet, saw old friends and made some new ones good show, thanks all, hope to see you in Dearborn,been there 5times, Chantilly was my 33rd national meet....J.R.Parsons
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #65
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Yup, it was a very nice time, especially the people. My 'Road Family.'

There were so many memorable moments. Dulles was one of them, things were happening quickly and we didn't get a snapshot. But at the awards banquet, a gentleman, I am ashamed I don't know his name, but he said he'd driven to, like, 33 of these meets. He had a set if mileage pins that was really stunning. Like two feet of 'em. He summed it up for me when he said he lives for these gatherings. I had to choke back a tear. This was the first time I got a mileage pin, I've enclosed trailered (my open Phaeton) to every other meet.

Many congratulations and thanks to the NVRG for hosting the event. It's a huge task. Also thanks to all the the National Capitol RG members for running the Vehicle Safety Check station and setting up/collecting orange cones from the field and trailer lots.

Of course life-long friendships develop at each meet. Seth and Alex and I connected at Gettysburg and through the 'Barn. I was totally at ease handing him the keys, and the car left the show field in the same shape it arrived, except maybe for having gotten a wash. Seth worked the water hose part of the job when we did both of my cars, that's the kind of guy he is. He put gas in the car, and bought Metro passes and breakfast too! Alex was a valuable crew-member, perfect navigation skills, and hooked-us up with Uber's to and from the Vienna Metro (we went exploring on the Mall Thursday), for a total cost of less than two bucks! I finally got to hang with mhsprecher! We're almost neighbors but can't seem to connect very often, all my fault for sure. Glenn and Frank, well, you have to see that in person to know what I mean.

One very generous moment was just before the meet broke-up, JM walked around the '35 I bought June 10 last year, the one Seth and Alex shared, and schooled me with his trained eye and brain. Then hopped in and took it around the block, then debriefed me! Awesome information you can't get every day.

I could go on, but, if you didn't go, you missed a great time!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-12-2017 at 10:05 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #66
35fordtn

Seth, was good seeing you there. Myself and the family had a great time. The weather was perfect and a lot of nice cars. Found a few goodies in the swap meet as well. Hats off to all that helped put on the meet.

Those that don't attend these meets don't know what they are missing. Can't wait for Dearborn!! Little known fact, for those that pre-register for Dearborn before October get entered into a drawing for a set of Coker Tires!!
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #67
VeryTangled

I have to add that in my opinion Michael/35fordtn/Third Gen Automotive, rolls with the best looking crew at the meet! Three generations of lovely ladies, and two generations of straight-up gentlemen. I tip my hat.

Michael also contributed generously towards sponsoring the meet.

In fact, every person who attended contributed generously in some capacity or another, whether with good spirit or strong back or organizational skills, and that's another thing that makes these so memorable.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #68
Kens 36

[QUOTE=VeryTangled;1485029 But at the awards banquet, a gentleman, I am ashamed I don't know his name, but he said he'd driven to, like, 33 of these meets. He had a set if mileage pins that was really stunning. Like two feet of 'em. He summed it up for me when he said he lives for these gatherings. I had to choke back a tear. [/QUOTE]

Jeff,

That gentleman was LeRoy Gearhart from New Jersey who drives along with his wife Marlene in their '36 Fordor.

Ken
Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #69
Frank Miller

Got home ok doing about 490 miles in 8.5 hours. Always a pleasure seeing everyone. Thanks for putting me in the same category as Glenn. It was great to see some younger guys like Alex and Seth getting involved in the judging. Alex helped us judge the exterior of the 35 and 36 cars. Danny Driskel was a good teacher and I hope Alex feels confident enough to sign up at the next meet.
I will confess I was not overly enthused about going but knew I would not regret it. All of these meets have left me with memorable experiences and new friends. The V8 club has some of the finest people you will ever meet.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #70
Pomeroy41144

Dearborn, Michigan sounds great to me.

I'll be there.
Pomeroy41144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #71
mhsprecher

Frank,

Great to see you. Your avatar is terrific.

As a working stiff, it's hard to take the time to attend these meets. I have to say I liked the dates this year as it wasn't too darned hot, although it warmed right up after this weekend
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #72
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Frank,...Your avatar is terrific.
Hi Everyone, about Frank's Avatar. Yes it's a can of Frank Miller Nut Loosener, and it's a real product not something he made up. Frank said he got it as a gift, if I recall.

Another thing is the part you're seeing is basically oil-can sized, but the part out of the picture, going up, is about two feet or longer and pointed like an old-school locomotive oil can would be. It's a amazing artifact, and suitable for the amazing guy Frank is.

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-13-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling, of course
Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #73
fordv8j

that would make a good story for the V-8 Times...he deserves it
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #74
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Glad you had a good time, John, now the best part was when you landed the winning ticket for the mMrcury raffle last night! If I hadn't been there, what would you have done?? Just to be sure, I will have another one for you at the club meeting on the 20th.
Cecil, thanks for selling me the winning ticket.....again....., since I actually thought the last ticket I bought from you was the winner, and buying this ticket was just to help the Foundation make its goal.
Anyway, I really need to win that Mercury so I can drive it to Alaska.

ps...Cecil, how many "Brownie Points" do I get for sending my friends to you at the Awards Dinner to buy raffle tickets??

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-14-2017 at 08:41 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #75
Frank Miller

Hope these pics work. I met a guy on the a site who had this can. I had a Frank Miller non freeze as my avatar and he inquired about it. I had to trade a Model A tire pressure and oil pressure gauge for it. I pilfered them from my dad's garage. No problem as his name is Frank also and the cans are prominently displayed there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nut loosener.jpg (69.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg label.jpg (67.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #76
TJ

We finally got home from our trip to Virginia yesterday. We left on may 30th and traveled in our F-150 with air conditioning! Did sight seeing on the way out to the meet and on the way back. The Eastern Meet was wonderful. Saw a lot of old friends, made some new ones, and visited with a friend who used to live in Napa, Ca. Kudos to the NVRG and other helpers for putting on a great meet. The tours were absolutely great. We loved the Air and Space Museum and the tour to the Cross Farm. It was well worth the 3000 mile trip out and back. Stopped by the Grand Canyon on the way home which had always been on the "bucket list". Thanks again for the great time. Tom Johnston
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #77
Cecil/WV

Good seeing you in Virginia , Tom!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #78
glennsanders

Great Job done by all,great weather,great people,tours we're alsome .How many people can say they were on private tour The fifth President house.Not open to public.That was off the chart. It's was a great meet because all of the great people that put it on .Thank You.And thanks to all the people who showed up.Its always nice to see all my v8 friends.Hey Frank what's up with that.That almost hurt.
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #79
glennsanders

Couple pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170616_150857.jpg (40.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170610_113921685.jpg (88.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #80
glennsanders

Hey Frank what's Jeff trying to say ?