Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #21
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: Model A air-conditioner

Using the Ken Davis unit we've put it in several cars with out cutting holes in the fire wall. They work well and help with the summer driving.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #22
Gold Digger

What's Mr. Ken Davis's phone number?
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #23
Art Newland

http://www.kendavismodela.com/

817-540-1513

Bought my alternator from him... nice guy.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Mr. LaVoy,

Per your no. 22 comment, Mr. Davis mentioned that with his design, he strove to arrange A/C components such that after A/C installation, if someone wanted a more original Model A, or a Model A without A/C, components could be easily removed with only having to repair a floor board. And per no. 24, he appeared to be a very nice and intelligent gentleman and teacher.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #25
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Seriously? So it's OK to butcher the frame for a transmission swap, or cut the driveline torquetube for an overdrive, weld mounts for hydraulic brake master cylinders, cut holes for seat belts, or do many other mods to a Model-A yet it is now considered a "mortal sin" to drill two 1" holes in the firewall for A/C hoses??
IMO, while I dislike some of the things people do to these old cars, the benefit of ownership is that you can "butcher" it any way you like and it's really nobody else's business. The REAL "mortal sin" is voicing an unsolicited negative opinion on what someone else does to THIER own property. BTW, yes I've been guilty of it in the past ( I was really bad for it actually) but I have since matured.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
Terry, NJ

H.L. are you taking a new career direction with Stand Up Comedy? You be good at it! You've got me chuckling!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Top Secret Model A News:

Anybody see or hear about copies of the new and exciting Model A book being offered in all Model A Parts catalogs next year?

One Model A owner said they saw the first partial shipment come in with the title of:

"Why All Model A's Will Definitely Require Air Conditioners by The Year 2018", ............

it was reported to have been written in 1555 by Nostradamus with added lengthy footnote explanations added in 2017 by Al Gore.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #27
Logan

Ken Davis' unit is the best one out on the market right now. He uses old air products which is a very reputable company in the aftermarket a/c world. Ken has been producing these units for 20+ years. I've driven all over the country and out of country with his products (modern shocks, a/c, and alternators) and never had a problem. The a/c is simple to instal, and should only take a day of work for the non mechanical minded people. Yes some modify his unit even more during the instal, but this is not needed. They are just over complicating an easy design to say how they "improved" someone else's design. Everything matches up to the car just fine, and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive. We went on a 200 mile tour yesturday and the temp was 110 outside, and it was about 50 degrees inside the car. Not freezing cold, but a lot better than the 120 it would have been inside the car without a/c. When it's actually reasonable temps outside 90-100 in the Texas summer, my a/c will blow 42 degrees out of the vents. My brothers will blow 36 degrees. The more insulation and sealing around the doors that you can do the better
Old 07-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #28
H. L. Chauvin

If we think about it, so very few people today, (not on vintage type Forums), get their underwear rumpled thinking about all of the vintage Chryslers, Packards, Rolls Royces, etc., and vintage kerosene stoves ...... all of which went to the junk yard ...... to them, so what, these were just past individual choices ....... however, these same individuals may have other things that may cause rumples.

In a few years, all of the rumpled underwear we see today on this Forum, and throughout the World will disappear just like the vintage kerosene stoves ....... at our age, we can try to have a sense of humor and seek happiness ...... or we can choose to be cranky ...... again, just choices .......... but, if it helps to be just a little bit happier with your Model A, maybe try not wearing underwear ...... please let us know the results.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #29
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Terry,

Serious or not serious?

Per your comment #27, just in case a few more serious type Model A guys enjoy only serious type Model A comments & replies, there is just a "tiny" bit of seriousness as to why we may want to strongly consider an A/C for our Model A's.

I read this one (1) serious interpretation no. 8 not long ago .... concerning Mr. N's serious "Top 10" predictions in 1555, for 2018 ..... when analyzing same .. it does sound sort of "Gorey"!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"8. Global Warming: Unbelievable, but Nostradamus had predicted a climate catastrophe to suddenly burn the Earth over the next few years, if not months. The visionary warns that “the King will rob the forests” (uncontrolled deforestation?) and that “the sky will open and the fields will burn up from the heat.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If and only "if" Mr. Ken Davis and others have extreme difficulty keeping up with all of our 2018 Model A, A/C request ....... seriously ........... at least everyone had a chance to read one (1) interpretation of Mr. N's Warning back in 1555.

Seriously hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #30
MAG

Another way to install AC in a Model A. Uses dual groove pulley, original Model A fanbelt for water pump and gen/alt.. Compressor is driven by separate belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC 01.jpg (106.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg AC 02.jpg (104.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg AC 03.JPG (99.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg AC 04.JPG (107.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg AC 05.JPG (108.4 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg AC 06.JPG (77.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
IMO, while I dislike some of the things people do to these old cars, the benefit of ownership is that you can "butcher" it any way you like and it's really nobody else's business. The REAL "mortal sin" is voicing an unsolicited negative opinion on what someone else does to THIER own property. BTW, yes I've been guilty of it in the past ( I was really bad for it actually) but I have since matured.
Anything posted on a forum is an invitation to have it commented on. Like the comment don't like it, agree don't agree it matters not. If one does not want a post to be commented on then don't post it.

Sarcasm is hard to write and is often taken out of the context the writer wanted it to be read in. This, in my opinion, is the start of most fights on forums. To me the comment " I heard that some commit a mortal sin, cut holes in the metal fire wall and risk Model A Hell for eternity." was sarcasm. As was the reply with the bug eyed smiley. Was yours sarcasm or an "unsolicited negative opinion"?

See what I mean?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 AM   #32
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

I remember my Dad having a rural 1840's Vintage Rural Country Store and (2) 1840's Rural Country Bars .... one downstairs and one upstairs with vintage live music.

As very young employees, and mixing drinks as teenagers, he taught my brother and I at an early age when we see a person coming in the store or bar and complaining ...... don't even try to solve his problems ...... his problems are not in this store or bar .... his problems are always at home ...... only he can resolve his domestic problems ...... in my opinion, not any different from rages and reactions brought into Model A Forums.

We learned lots, my brother and I ..... saw some .... even quite a few WWII veterans come in sober, leave drunk .... and come back sober later .... and leave drunk again ..... just a PHD in Life ..... also, with one brand of whiskey, one got mean, one happy, one wanted to fight, one cried .....same damn bottle of whiskey ..... just typical different human mental brain reactions like we witness on any Forum for the past 20 years.

Dad stressed that the Happy-go-lucky people will always be successful ....they have thick skin ..... the damn cranky jerks always finding fault, (who could never even have the leadership ability to lead 5 soldiers to an ice cream truck with a flute & a sack of quarters), are the weak thin skinned individuals who will never climb a very important corporate ladder. Feel sorry for them.

In my opinion, if anyone is kidding and saying it is a mortal sin to install Model A white wall tires or drill holes through firewalls ..... Happy-go-lucky thick skins smile and really do not care ...... grouchy old fart thin skins either agree .......... or grow massive hemorrhoids and go home to bitch for several days.

See what I mean?

Might also add in the military, when the enemy mortar rounds start coming in, the Happy thick skins think ..... but the grouchy thin skins just bitch.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-24-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #33
marc hildebrant

My Model A uses 2 by 55 air-conditioning....

Two windows down, drive 55 !

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #34
barkleydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The Ken Davis unit is great. It even works in Alaska. I have the unit that will provide heat as well as cooling in my pickup. Ken has done all the engineering and fabrication that makes installing in a Model A a breeze.
Bet you can store beef in that CCPU with the AC on In August!
Thought about it for my CCPU. Seems like other priorities get in the way.
Hot and Humid in KY truck sits most of July and August due to miserable conditions.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #35
Jordan

Trust me when I say you want to go with a Ken Davis unit & leave it the way he designed it to be! The only thing I would consider changing is cutting the tunnel out of the gas tank so it can go a little higher up, but it's fine where it's hanging now.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #36
CarlG

Due to the limited space in a pickup, I mounted the unit as far to the right rather than in the center using all the same hardware that Ken furnishes. Doesn't bother my wife any as it puts the stream of air in her lap.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #37
H. L. Chauvin

Hi CarlG,

Mentioning technical experiences always helps.

Here below is a somewhat fortunate and rare occurrence:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

MODEL A TIMING:

1. We are all aware that Model A timing is very important.

2. Today I had a most unique experience with an entirely different type of Model A Timing.

3. I came to my office today, found my office air-conditioner not working, so I called my retired, expert refrigeration mechanic cousin not far away to come by to check it out. (As teenagers years ago, he used to ride in my 1930 Model A Coupe when we all went hunting often. He and his wife also rode in my more recent 1930 Town Sedan several times with my wife and I .... and loved it.)

4. Anyway, he fixed my office air-conditioner in a jiffy, and as he was leaving, someone knocked on my front door. He opened the front door where he saw it was a Fed-Ex delivery man where he helped me bring the two (2) unannounced packages inside.

5. I told him this might be the delivery of my new Ken Davis Model A Air-Conditioner.

6. He eagerly opened the boxes with me, looked therein and begged me to please, please call him because he would love to help me install it in my 1930 Town Sedan, charge it up, and just for kicks to see how it works.

7. FWIW: Anyway .... if you have an air-conditioning repairman friend, please do not misconstrue that this is a message implying breaking your home air-conditioner on the same day that Fed-Ex is delivering your Ken Davis Model A air-conditioner.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-26-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #38
ALAN BENNETT

I have had one of Ken Davis's A/C units for 3 years and it is even better when the humidity is up in So Cal
We love it!!!!!
ALAN BENNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #39
Bud

I have read that, though it would not be completely necessary, adding a bit of the stick-on insulation in strategic areas, will help with outside noise and allow the A/C unit to operate a bit more efficiently. Especially if you live in a high-heat area. I have not installed either, so cannot speak from experience.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #40
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I have read that, though it would not be completely necessary, adding a bit of the stick-on insulation in strategic areas, will help with outside noise and allow the A/C unit to operate a bit more efficiently. Especially if you live in a high-heat area. I have not installed either, so cannot speak from experience.
That is true.

Also, on modern cars it's most efficient to run the A/C on recirculate at all times.
This way you are cooling and dehumidifying the air which has already been dried and cooled.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote