Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Help with a family issue

My wife will NOT ride in our soon to be running '32 pickup. She has discovered
she will be sitting over the gas tank. I've been advised that as long as I do not use a vented cap there is really no issue......she's not buying that. Can
the passenger car tank be installed in the truck or what might be the best approach....and no after 58 years we are joined at the hip.
Many thanks,
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
32phil

Default Re: Help with a family issue

I'm thinking about tucking a flat tank under the bed. Similar to a passenger tank but shallower. I would make it as wide as possible but keep it thin enough to be hidden by the bed. Perhaps extending some into the space between the bed and the rear crossmember.
Maybe a 34 style tank could be modified somehow. Not that far on the assembly yet. I will need a seat riser to replace the stock tank but that's easy enough to do, even use the stock cushions. Nice storage area under there too. Filler neck would have to come out the side like a 34 or in the floor of the bed.

Last edited by 32phil; 12-06-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: more info
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Thinking about it, Charlie, the bed and torque tube seem to complicate things. The floor of the bed is pretty close the torque tube. Not much space to mount something across the frame, but maybe a saddle type tank along the frame.

I think I remember some type of saddle tank set-up being made for Model A's. They mounted behind the running board splash aprons.

Would you consider a Moon-style/spun aluminium-style tank mounted in the front of the bed?
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Well, you must have a vented cap in my mind (or a vent someplace) - as otherwise the fuel pump is attempting to pull a vacuum and after a bit, it will not be able too and you'll be out of fuel. I think the frames are the same as any other 32, so it would seem entirely possible to put a 32 rear tank in the rear. Personally, I like the looks of the 32 tank - but don't know if there is any interference issues with the bed?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
alanwoodieman

I have mounted below the bed gas tanks in about a dozen trucks ranging from a 29 A to a 52. I went to tanks inc and looked over what they have, also speedway has a lot of gas tanks made for racing and have used a couple of them. 52 I use a filler door of a later model car and made it come out the fender with a neat hatch, so yes you can mount one under the rear of the truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29 Front of bed and Gas filler.JPG (95.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 29 gas tank.JPG (101.8 KB, 137 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
expavr

Charlie
I ran into the same dilemma with my wife and riding in the Tonner. It took a few drives on rural roads at reasonable speeds (less than 45 MPH) to convince her that the truck was a safe/stable platform. I use a vented gas cap and try to keep the tank full to minimize the buildup of gas vapors in the tank. If you don’t use a vented cap it seems like there would be more risk of explosion as the liquid is displaced leaving the resulting vapor buildup. Not only that but an unvented cap could cause fuel starvation. The other solution is to install a fuel cell in the bed and disguise it somehow.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
I have mounted below the bed gas tanks in about a dozen trucks ranging from a 29 A to a 52. I went to tanks inc and looked over what they have, also speedway has a lot of gas tanks made for racing and have used a couple of them. 52 I use a filler door of a later model car and made it come out the fender with a neat hatch, so yes you can mount one under the rear of the truck
Well, there you go. It will work.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Charlie.....Just remind her of the Pintos with rear-mounted gas tanks! I also saw a '32 sedan burn to the ground after being rear-ended at a light several years back. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
STEVE O

Also a non vented cap when things warm up causes high pressures in the tank that needle valve and flexible hoses can't take. One of them ask me how I know!
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
DavidG

You know, it would be nice if folks would actually know something about 1932-35 fuel tanks before sounding off. All Ford tanks of those model years use un-vented gas caps because the tanks are otherwise vented as part of the tank unit. The man is asking about a '32 vented tank, not some later model un-vented tank.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
ford38v8

Charlie, if she wanted to ride in it, she would. Don't buy into her power trip ruse, or she'll then demand seat belts and next it would be ABS disc brakes. I know you're not a newly wed, you know the routine!
Old 12-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
35fordtn

Charlie,
Yes it can be done using a 33/36 pickup tank but requires lots of fabricating, a guy locally did it..... however, there is nothing to be scared of. Ford had trucks using in cab tanks all the way up through 1977. If a person were overly nervous about the fact that the 32 tanks vent from inside the cab, you could do what I did when I owned a 32 pickup, I ran a clear piece of hose from the vent on the sending unit and vent it outside of the cab. It’s a 5 minute ordeal that can be undone at any time.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32phil View Post
I'm thinking about tucking a flat tank under the bed. Similar to a passenger tank but shallower. I would make it as wide as possible but keep it thin enough to be hidden by the bed. Perhaps extending some into the space between the bed and the rear crossmember.
Maybe a 34 style tank could be modified somehow. Not that far on the assembly yet. I will need a seat riser to replace the stock tank but that's easy enough to do, even use the stock cushions. Nice storage area under there too. Filler neck would have to come out the side like a 34 or in the floor of the bed.
Some marine fuel tanks available are shallow...........might look at some of them.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
woodiewagon46

My '32 has it's gas tank in the rear, the stock location. If I get rear ended, it's a virtual bomb. My Model A has it's tank over my legs with the vented filler cap on the top of the cowl. What am I supposed to do, not drive my cars and try to relocate the gas tanks? We are driving antique cars, not modern vehicles and sometimes they smell of gas and oil.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

All thru the years , from the T on up millions of people drove these cars AND smoked............

What about mounting a tank (your choice of type) in the bed behind the cab??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
rotorwrench

She likely wouldn't ride in a model T or even a model A either since the gas tank is right in front of you. Some folks just don't like the dangerous edge type of lifestyle.

All those soldiers that rode around in jeeps over half the word over were also riding on gas tanks.

I've been riding motorcycle since I was a kid and the tank is usually right near your crotch there.

Everyone has an excuse for this or that. If she doesn't want to ride in there then it's her loss.

Some folks are scared to go out the door so she is not too bad off anyway. It could be worse.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #17
DavidG

Michael,

It's not a Model A. '32 commercial gas tanks do not vent inside the cab unless you operate the vehicle without floorboards, which is a whole set of real dangers.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
FrankWest

Hey Charlie, you have to move the gas tank to the outside pickup bed or you can buy you wife a special antique pickup driving outfit for Christmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wifesuit.jpg (9.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-06-2019 at 05:16 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #19
Bill OH

Charlie: Offer her to buy her jewlery and dress and take her to dinner at a nice restaurant in your 32 PU!!!!
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #20
5851a

I don't have an answer for your truck, but look under any/many front wheel drive cars. The gas tank is right under the rear seat, one thin piece of sheet metal separate you from the fuel tank. Where does the law want us to strap our grandchildren? Yep right on top of it!
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote