Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Chet Wilson Engine Service

Not sure how many knew Chet Wilson or his son Jerry Wilson. Drove by the shop today, and it is gone, nothing but leveled ground there now. Did some checking and looks like he retired around the first of the year. Sold all of his equipment and the shop was/is being leveled.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Chet Wilson Engine Service

For those of you who don't know, Chet was famous for racing V8 60 in midgets. http://www.racingfromthepast.com/chetwilsonindex69.html

"Since all racing was curtailed during the war, 1942 through 1945, Chet took this opportunity to install a Ford V8-60 in his Midget. In 1946-1947 Chet took two years off of work and raced the car exclusively, running as many as eight events a week. During this time he gained national notoriety, fielding his bright red, Ford powered #5 Midget. In 1947, with young Lloyd Ruby at the wheel, "National Speed Sport News" writers dubbed the car the "fastest Ford in the country". Generally the Ford powered cars ran their own B-Features, but Chet's machine ran with the best Offy's and won. From 1946 to 1954, Chet Wilson's #5 Midget was successfully piloted by: Lloyd Ruby, Cotton Musick, Bernie Shires, Corky Benson, Guy McHenry, Jay Booth and Tex West."

"As early as the late 1940's, Chet started a small business in his basement. He purchased a Montgomery Ward lathe and made the necessary attachments to grind camshafts. In 1956 he built a new garage behind his house and expanded his business to include precision balancing and complete custom engine building. In 1964, he opened a full service custom engine facility on Osage Street in Wichita. Some of the original machinery that Chet designed and adapted for his special purposes is still in use today. Chet soon earned national recognition as an automotive machinist and accomplished custom engine builder. He was often referred to as a genius in the industry .Those who knew him well, say that, "somehow, he just seemed to know".

"While building a successful business, Chet continued to build his cars and race as often as his busy work schedule and family obligations would allow. By 1954, the popularity of Midgets began to wane. So during the winter of 1954-1955, he bought a "Solar Car" Midget and "stretched it" to run with the Sprinters. He powered the "Stretch" with the rebuilt V8-60 Ford retrieved from his #5 Midget. He adapted a 105 Offenhauser crankshaft, and also cut and ground a special camshaft from a broken truck axle. This #25 car successfully competed against the Sprints during the 1955 season. The first time the car ran, driven by Frank Lies, they won everything but the trophy dash. Later in the season, Cotton Musick took the seat and won the UMCA Championship. Still referred to as "the fastest Ford in the country" it earned the nickname "The Offy Killer".

When I was racing sprints, Jerry Wilson (Chet's son) let us use his shop after hours to do the engine work. Sad to see the shop leveled!

Last edited by JSeery; 04-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Drbrown

Wasn't aware of Chet but its always sad to be reminded that times keep changing. Like someone might say "Sounds like he had a good run" and that is about as good as it gets.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
flatford8

I wasn’t aware of Chet either. When you started this thread I thought you were going to announce his passing. We never want to see an old Flathead guy stop practicing his craft but, congrats to him on being able to retire........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
dwick01

JSeery, did you know Frankie Lies? I got to meet him years ago and bought a couple of used wide tires from him that came off the rear of his super modified. I built a dune buggy and put them on the back of it. A really fun guy to talk to and a heck of a driver back in the day.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Chet died years ago, Jerry his son is the one who just retired. Both were unbelievable mechinist. A lot of what they did I have never seen anywhere else!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
For those of you who don't know, Chet was famous for racing V8 60 in midgets. http://www.racingfromthepast.com/chetwilsonindex69.html

"Since all racing was curtailed during the war, 1942 through 1945, Chet took this opportunity to install a Ford V8-60 in his Midget. In 1946-1947 Chet took two years off of work and raced the car exclusively, running as many as eight events a week. During this time he gained national notoriety, fielding his bright red, Ford powered #5 Midget. In 1947, with young Lloyd Ruby at the wheel, "National Speed Sport News" writers dubbed the car the "fastest Ford in the country". Generally the Ford powered cars ran their own B-Features, but Chet's machine ran with the best Offy's and won. From 1946 to 1954, Chet Wilson's #5 Midget was successfully piloted by: Lloyd Ruby, Cotton Musick, Bernie Shires, Corky Benson, Guy McHenry, Jay Booth and Tex West."

"As early as the late 1940's, Chet started a small business in his basement. He purchased a Montgomery Ward lathe and made the necessary attachments to grind camshafts. In 1956 he built a new garage behind his house and expanded his business to include precision balancing and complete custom engine building. In 1964, he opened a full service custom engine facility on Osage Street in Wichita. Some of the original machinery that Chet designed and adapted for his special purposes is still in use today. Chet soon earned national recognition as an automotive machinist and accomplished custom engine builder. He was often referred to as a genius in the industry .Those who knew him well, say that, "somehow, he just seemed to know".

"While building a successful business, Chet continued to build his cars and race as often as his busy work schedule and family obligations would allow. By 1954, the popularity of Midgets began to wane. So during the winter of 1954-1955, he bought a "Solar Car" Midget and "stretched it" to run with the Sprinters. He powered the "Stretch" with the rebuilt V8-60 Ford retrieved from his #5 Midget. He adapted a 105 Offenhauser crankshaft, and also cut and ground a special camshaft from a broken truck axle. This #25 car successfully competed against the Sprints during the 1955 season. The first time the car ran, driven by Frank Lies, they won everything but the trophy dash. Later in the season, Cotton Musick took the seat and won the UMCA Championship. Still referred to as "the fastest Ford in the country" it earned the nickname "The Offy Killer".

When I was racing sprints, Jerry Wilson (Chet's son) let us use his shop after hours to do the engine work. Sad to see the shop leveled!

THANKS for sharing ! A great machinist is hard to find and it sounds like a great one passed on when Chet died ! Always like to read about such self made/ self motivated people became so successful in what they chose to do in life. Wonder if Chet ever wrote (book?) down what his process/secrets were for builds that could run down an Offy and others ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Some of what he (and later Jerry) would do is cut crankshafts into several pieces and weld it all back together. They were sawing v8 engines in half and making 4 cylinders. Fairly amazing stuff. And these were high rpm race engines! I was in the shop one time when a Ford rep visited, they were consulting on a Ford project.

Last edited by JSeery; 04-15-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
JSeery, did you know Frankie Lies? I got to meet him years ago and bought a couple of used wide tires from him that came off the rear of his super modified. I built a dune buggy and put them on the back of it. A really fun guy to talk to and a heck of a driver back in the day.
I knew/meet him, but not well.