Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Greg out west

Angry What State is Model A Friendly ???

Hi Guy's

Having lived in Southern Calif. all my life this isn't easy to ask ! My coupe last was on the Road way back in 1977 !!! Bought it from the old Ford Obsolete in Long Beach in 69,,,, Fixed it up & drove it for about 7 year's...

Tore it apart latter thinking of doing the A better,,,Not knowing that a few year's down the road all my time would be spent taking care of Parent's & my Handicaped brother...Car & part's sat for 15 year's in 3 different garages !!! Move to a larger place where I could work on getting it back together..

Now the car is about 90 to 95 % done...I'am afraid to go anywhere near the State DMV....The State just raised the gas tax to the highest in the country not to mention the sales tax or any other tax you care to throw in !!!!

So eventhou I bought the car way back & have all the "paper's (Pink slip, ect.) Is the State going to tell me the car is now worth big buck's & set the License fee's on that....Or should I pack up & head to a more "Friendly State"???.

Calif. was once the "Golden State",,, not anymore,,,So looking for Greener Pasture's,,Or am I just wasting my time... ??? Only thing still good here is the weather,,,Maybe they will Tax that next ???

Here's something I forgot,,,Year's ago I was at the DMV getting a "Tag" for a old bug that needed to be updated...Asked the gal about the "A",,,She handed me this paper..It was something about Verification of the Vehicle...She "ADDED" you better not try & cheat on that paper,,,cause will catch you !!!. As I left, I said I just asked about what it would take to get the A "Legal" & your calling me a Crook !!!!..

Greg out West (For now)

Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: What State is Model A Friendly ???

It seems to be getting that way everywhere!!! I live in a non title state but even so its a real hassle getting a tag when ever I bring another model A back to life. Deb says there is no need to even consider doing another one. The hobby doesn't have much of a lobby!!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
amdriven2liv

We inherited a 28 Coupe from my wife's father.

We went to Washington DMV to get it licensed. Since Montana has no sales tax, we were informed that the cost to license the first time was going to be $1000 + license fee. Which can be as low as $75 one time for a antique that is used only for shows and parades. Or, normal license cost to drive more freely.

We wont license it now until we retire back in Oregon. Well, maybe.

1928 Model A "Special" Coupe.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
700rpm

Why don't you just go into your DMV and ask them? They won't charge you for that. What do they need to "verify"? What the car cost? Are they qualified to appraise its value? You might try a smaller town that has a DMV. I've heard that even in CA that sometimes helps a guy.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
mccsix

IMHO Fla is easy. $69.00 buys you a permanent horseless carriage plate (1945 and earlier) with never any future fees. It is transferable too.
If the car was prior out-of-town registered, drive it down to the local DMV and they will come out and verify VIN (prior title had current eng s/n on it) against where I tell them to look...the eng.
No tax on Horseless registered cars.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Like 700rpm says. If the car was registered once by you in Calif I would think it's still in the system. I would think you'd be able to just re-register it??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
darrylkmc

Here in Alaska for an Antique Car the fee is $15.00 for the lifetime plate and $15.00 for the Title, Triple what it was a few years ago.

If you were to register it as a "normal" vehicle the cost is $100.00 for two years.

There are no taxes on vehicle sales or registration in Alaska.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Last edited by darrylkmc; 07-09-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: changed wording registration to Title
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
PC/SR

If you have the old pink slip and registration it should not be that hard. They may want to verify the VIN by the CHP. Get this done before putting it back together. CA DMV charges me $80 per year for a regular license.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
marc hildebrant

How does Massachusetts handle antique cars ? I maybe moving Eastward in the near future.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
QGolden

Come to NH. Antique plates are about 6 dollars a year. (first year first plate 15 dollars) We have Vanity Antique plates for an additional 25 dollars or so. No annual motor vehicle inspection on Model A's, no title requirement. (Optional 25.00) You can scratch out a Bill of Sale on a matchbook if you want, just include the VIN, year, Make and model.

Mass is a lot pickier than NH, they require a Title for any year. Not sure on the costs or what else. (inspection etc.) I have helped a couple of fellow car friends out in Mass who needed titles on antique cars. Mass will accept a previous registration from another state with a notarized Bill of Sale in lieu of Title. My friend sold me his car on paper, I registered it in NH, got a plate and then sold it back to him while having a Notary Public witness the transfer. No problem.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Aok

New Jersey is ok as long as you have a title they just ask what you paid for vehicle and tax on that amount. Historic plates are $39.00 It is a 2 year registration but they do not charge to renew.
Not sure how ca works but when I have had a problem in NJ I try a different dmv and usually get a more friendly clerk.
Other rule for any dmv is do not talk just answer questions I have seen people talk themselves into a problem that would not have come if they did not bring it up in the 1st place.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
28RPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
Come to NH.
If I were you, I would delete this post and discuss it no further. I think that the process you describe is considered illegal.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
ronn

Cali should be no problem and as Aok says-try another dmv if you're hassled.

Regarding NH, isn't an inspection required or did I read their site wrong....?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
ronn

28RPU-
life is illegal, but we live on anyway.... go figure.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

sounds legal to me
bought a car from a friend and then decided to sell it back to him all being notarized...
that happens sometimes when the wife finds out about it
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

Nebraska is not bad tax wise on cars older than 12 years. $32.00 a year for taxes. However our title laws suck if your engine number is different than what your title reads you could have problems depending on which county's sherriffs dept. does the inspection. Some will inspect whichever number you present them as being valid others that know how the law reads will insist on the engine number. Luckily I live in a county the deputies will inspect whichever number you present as being valid. It helps to be on a first name basis with afew of them. Rod
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
IMHO Fla is easy. $69.00 buys you a permanent horseless carriage plate (1945 and earlier) with never any future fees. It is transferable too.
If the car was prior out-of-town registered, drive it down to the local DMV and they will come out and verify VIN (prior title had current eng s/n on it) against where I tell them to look...the eng.
No tax on Horseless registered cars.
Mccsix,

Fla can be BUT if your title and/or stamped engine # does not match, state law requires that it be impounded if you are stopped by the law for a traffic ticket or any other reason. I know of ppl that put a modern plate with a # on the firewall and then get it notarized. On our frame off restroom, the stamped # on the frame in unreadable in parts, motor and title all messed up. Nothing matches anything else -what fun!

Last edited by Skibb; 07-09-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Keith True

In N.H. you only need an inspection if you don't have an old copy of a registration,or an old title.The title would only be for an out of state car,NO titles were issued for Model A's.The inspection is minor,it can be done by a police officer,DOT officer,inspection station,or a dealer.No big deal at all.You will have to show them where the number is,they will tell you they have no clue.$6.is at stake here,no tax so nobody really cares.If you have an out of state title or registration,they won't need to do the inspection.You WILL,however,lose that title.You do not get to keep any old ownership documents used to register your vehicle.If you use it to register,it gets taken as the supporting document.If you have an old title and want to keep it for any reason,keep it to yourself,don't let the state see it.Go with the inspection route.We can also run YOM plates here too.Register as an antique,then take your YOM plates in to get them certified.They take a glance at them,and give you a little piece of paper saying you can run them.You have to carry the state issued plates in the car though.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
QGolden

Nothing illegal about it, no fraud was committed, the cars were not stolen, they simply came from states that did not require a title, and my friend needed to get them registered. Town clerk told him to produce a valid previous registration, so he did. Did it with a boat too.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
If you have an out of state title or registration,they won't need to do the inspection.You WILL,however,lose that title.You do not get to keep any old ownership documents used to register your vehicle.If you use it to register,it gets taken as the supporting document..
I did not know that, thx!