Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: I May Have Found a New Rodent Control

As POOR folks, in S.E. Oklahoma, we ate ANYTHING we could GROW/HUNT/CAN/OR PRESERVE IN THE SMOKE HOUSE!
BUT, I still SAVOR those types of foods. Squirrel & Dumplings were my FAVORITE!---Crosscut once shipped me 2 Squirrels from Lincoln, Nebraska & I made Grannies' Squirrel & Dumplings!
I cook a lot & consider myself a GOURMET cook. (GOURMET translated means TASTY!)
Bill Savory
Old 04-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #22
caboose

I had a kidney disease when I was in the third grade (actually damage due to sulfa drugs). I had to eat liver daily to "build up my iron count".

I'd rather starve.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #23
Hicktick

Yall think somethings wrong with me ??? My wife buys fresh liver and cooks it with onions and in a gravy , you can cut with a fork . She serves it with those real mashed taters , the kind you have to peel , add some fresh fried Okra . I eat chicken livers too .

Old 04-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
Jeff/Illinois

I guess looking at it another way, look how many of us ate Pink Slime the crap they used to make McDonald's burgers out of until they got busted!

Never eat the McD's 'Rib Sandwich' Google it and see what they are made of and how they are processed. Pictures of when they come out white before they color them to look like rib meat. You'll be sure to gag on that one.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #25
ronn

I have had "The Best", (fresh dear liver and onions), and it was still AWFUL!!!

The hearts taste like filet!
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #26
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The best way to make them is on your Model A manifold cooker... having a slight leak at the pipe to manifold connection adds so much to the flavor (thumbs up)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'll eat "MOST" anything, except for RAW SEAFOOD! REMEMBER, the OCEANS are the WORLDs' SEWERS!
Bill W.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #28
Terry, NJ

My mother was German and slightly nuts about food. She'd eat anything that walked crawled or slithered. Yuck the stuff she'd bring home. Few people have ever eaten groundhog, but I have, Not bad. But liver was one of her favorites. (Tongue was another) I learned that it was that or nothing when she had it. So I learned to douse it in Worchestershire sauce, the only way I could get it down! She also loved tongue and would cook them all afternoon. By the time I got home from school, it would smell of tongue as I walked up the road. When I was young, I kind of liked it until I saw a cow licking a new born calf's rump with the tongue. That did it for me!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
JDupuis

I never minded tongue. Hated liver. Pidgeon was good!
My oldest brother would rush the dinner table for the chicken heart, liver and gizard. Jeff
Old 04-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #30
1931 flamingo

Love liver and onions, mashed potatoes w/gravy. YUM YUM. Wife won't cook it so it's a delicacy when we go to the diner. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #31
wmws
BANNED

You guys can get real excited about food.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #32
old31

It must be too early. You guys are making my stomach just plain sick with this lovin liver talk. oh, oh, too late.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

This thread is going to outlive that liver. I only expected a comment or two, and the guy that gave it one star was right in doing so. I wouldn't even give liver a one star rating.

We had an inch or two of snow last night, but I'm going to see if the liver is still in the back yard, and I'll look for any deer tracks past the liver.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #34
Fred K-OR

Yes tongue is the best part of the cow! Also another great delicacy is head cheese (boiled pigs heads). All great stuff along with liver.

Must be cold outside or people have nothing to do. But this is a great post!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #35
H. L. Chauvin

Before the military later added a fast food, short order junk food line in mess halls, (which naturally immediately caused military obesity and uncontrollable undesirable military pot bellies), the prior WWII era developed master menu had "only" liver as a meat product at quite a few meals.

About 50% of recruits ate liver and spinach during the first week of Basic Training. After double timing out (5) miles one way to the rifle range in full combat gear, plus the early before breakfast morning mile run, and the old time military daily dozen exercises, plus practicing for the the old military PT endurance tests, in about the fourth week, about 95% of military recruits ate liver & spinach, and even came back asking for seconds.

Recorded uniform waist lines had to be written in pencil for waist line changes during 8 weeks of Basic Training; i.e., all fat young guys became slim, and all skinny young guys gained muscles & weight; facial acne even began to clear up after about the third week.

Many today have no idea what former military exercising soldiers ate when hungry .... then there were always a few soldiers who would swap their liver out to load up on anything but liver.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #36
Cool Hand Lurker

I had to eat liver when I was a kid because it was cheap and it was what poor people had to eat to survive. I will never eat that crap again. Same for wings, tripe, tongue, or anything that has been sat on. I'm not a vegetarian but any vegetable is better than liver!

And I am very disappointed to hear that Model A people like that crap. I bet you secretly long for a Chevy motor too..... speaking of crap. I don't have to eat any of that stuff. I don't have to have a Chevy motor either.

I just thought I would bend this liver thread into something Model A with a garnish of Chevy Bash on the side.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #37
H. L. Chauvin

Heard of a wise guy years ago who stopped at a restaurant for breakfast while traveling through a rural area.

He asked the humble rural waitress if she had anything on "Special".

She responded that today, they had some freshly sliced cow tongue.

Wise guy said that was so horrible & nasty; plus just "THINK" .... about how you idiots eat what comes out of a nasty cow's mouth.

Waitress smiled & asked what else would you like from our Menu.

Wise guys says "Hmmmmm, how about (2) eggs!"
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #38
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
I had to eat liver when I was a kid because it was cheap and it was what poor people had to eat to survive. I will never eat that crap again. Same for wings, tripe, tongue, or anything that has been sat on. I'm not a vegetarian but any vegetable is better than liver!

And I am very disappointed to hear that Model A people like that crap. I bet you secretly long for a Chevy motor too..... speaking of crap. I don't have to eat any of that stuff. I don't have to have a Chevy motor either.

I just thought I would bend this liver thread into something Model A with a garnish of Chevy Bash on the side.
I am not a fan of liver, chicken, beef, or whatever. My wife, on the other hand, will order liver anytime it is on the menu.

As far a wings go, whenever I order chicken, it has to be "all wings" or nothing.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #39
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Maybe the Brits on this forum can chime in on Kidney Pie, and the scots can talk about Haggis.

If you want to see more stuff that you won't want to eat, watch Andrew Zimern on the Travel Channel. People around the world eat every part of an animal, they don't waste anything.

Even here in the U. S. Zimern has eaten beaver in Maine, Armadillo in Texas and allegator and turtle in Cajun country. He also ate sea urchins which are the latest delicacy in San Diego.

Me, I'll stick to a nice bowl of Menudo.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #40
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Heard of a wise guy years ago who stopped at a restaurant for breakfast while traveling through a rural area.

He asked the humble rural waitress if she had anything on "Special".

She responded that today, they had some freshly sliced cow tongue.

Wise guy said that was so horrible & nasty; plus just "THINK" .... about how you idiots eat what comes out of a nasty cow's mouth.

Waitress smiled & asked what else would you like from our Menu.

Wise guys says "Hmmmmm, how about (2) eggs!"

Dunno if the story is true but…

The lecturer at an African travelogue was asked what the natives eat. “Well, for the first meal of the day, some consume strips cut from the underside of porcine animals, the unformed embryos of certain birds, and slabs of ground grass seed paste smeared with congealed bovine mammary secretions.”

With the audience gagging, the lecturer continued, “Of course, I’m describing a breakfast of bacon, eggs and buttered toast.”
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote