Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
DannL

Default Ever have your engine die at a stop light?

After months of hard work I thought I had things tuned up perty good. Then yesterday came along. Went to Wallymart and filled the car with groceries. I felt so confident nothing would happen, I bought everything on the wife's shopping list. Even the eggs. Drove around the parking lot to get to the "easy" exit, stopped at the stop sign and waited about a minute for a break in traffic. Then the engine simply died. No sputtering. No coughing. Taken by surprise by the event I uttered that famous line . . . "Oh Crap!". Started the engine and 5 seconds later it died again. The combination of words that followed would have made Shakespeare proud of me. After the second start everything appeared normal and l continued on my way. Of course the smile that once adorned my mug was gone. So, has anything like this happened to you?
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Ever have your engine die at a stop light?

Something simple!

I would wait and see if it happens again.

You might want to check vent in gas cap. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
DannL

Didn't know about the vent hole. I can see it now. It was fine though. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
duke36

Sometimes hot weather can cause a lot of issues, as expressed in other threads. Gas line not sloping downward to carb to help prevent vapor lock, failing coil or condenser, debris in gas plugging carb filter or filter in gas tank, etc.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Jemelton#

It Usually Happens to me when I forget to turn the gas back on!
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
jm29henry

Float maybe set to high floods gas over the jets as the gas rushes forward its a easy fix please let us know how you make out.
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
DannL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
Float maybe set to high floods gas over the jets as the gas rushes forward its a easy fix please let us know how you make out.
That's a very good possibility. Another problem I am experiencing right now is that after I shut the car off fuel does leak out of the intake some. Which is something I read elsewhere as being a symptom of a float level problem.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
Patrick L.

Did it just simply die while idling or when you stepped on the throttle ?

Either way for now, I'd recommend re-adjusting/checking the idle mixture.

Generally if the float is too high the engine will quit while coming to a stop. A vent issue usually raises its ugly head while cruising. But, its an 'A' so about anything is possible.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...Since it self corrected, you might have had a couple of air bubbles in your fuel line...sort of the beginning of fuel boiling or some such. What I have found is that when I come up to a stop my right fingers are always on the hand throttle and I usually increase the RPM just a bit as I take the car out of gear and coast up to a stop. Once all stopped, I ease the throttle lever up to the stop again. I've had 'A's since the 1960's and old timers then, used to tell me it was from fuel sloshing in the carburetor bowl! They taught me the sequence of coasting up to a stop or a light and adding a bit of hand throttle. It has served me well. Have a great Model A Day! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannL View Post
That's a very good possibility. Another problem I am experiencing right now is that after I shut the car off fuel does leak out of the intake some. Which is something I read elsewhere as being a symptom of a float level problem.

If you shut the gas valve off, and it eventually stops leaking, the shutoff is good and possibly your; float valve is bad, or float is bad, sometimes the float valve wears a spot into the mating area of the float which causes the float valve to not seat correctly, and a few other possibilities.

If it is leaking and teh engine is warm/sitting, you are getting a pretty rich gas mixture the 1st minutes of the car running, might contribute to the stalling.

If it continues to leak with the gas valve off, both your gas valve and carb have issues.

Fix the carb, might solve the stalling.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
100IH

Float too high sometimes, Slosh makes a flood situation. Float level too low, goes so lean it dies. Try both.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
DannL

Well, dismantled the carburetor which is a Xenith 2, a recent rebuild and the height of the float from the carburetor it said it 5/8 of an inch. Cleaned all the jets. The fuel leak is a slow dripping only occurs after you shut the car off and last a minute or so. This is the exact same problem I experienced with my tillison carburetor before I replaced it. I very well may add a shim under the bowl to lower it a tad in the future, should this become a serious problem.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannL View Post
Well, dismantled the carburetor which is a Xenith 2, a recent rebuild and the height of the float from the carburetor it said it 5/8 of an inch. Cleaned all the jets. The fuel leak is a slow dripping only occurs after you shut the car off and last a minute or so. This is the exact same problem I experienced with my tillison carburetor before I replaced it. I very well may add a shim under the bowl to lower it a tad in the future, should this become a serious problem.

If you leaving the shutoff on, does it continue to drip?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
DannL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
If you leaving the shutoff on, does it continue to drip?
I've never left the shut off on.Will have to try it. I am curious.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #15
DannL

Having just gone out for a small trip to get the engine nice and hot, when I came back it didn't leak. That is odd. But having just opened the carburetor, and cleaning her out completely, maybe something changed. I'm sure the dripping will rear its ugly head again here, very shortly.

Last edited by DannL; 09-15-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
DannL

Turned on the shut-off valve and let her set for quite a while. She's not leaking. Ran my pinky finger up the air intake to the first jet. My finger came out dry. I may need to take her on a longer drive.

Last edited by DannL; 09-15-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #17
DannL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci View Post
Good Morning...Since it self corrected, you might have had a couple of air bubbles in your fuel line...sort of the beginning of fuel boiling or some such. What I have found is that when I come up to a stop my right fingers are always on the hand throttle and I usually increase the RPM just a bit as I take the car out of gear and coast up to a stop. Once all stopped, I ease the throttle lever up to the stop again. I've had 'A's since the 1960's and old timers then, used to tell me it was from fuel sloshing in the carburetor bowl! They taught me the sequence of coasting up to a stop or a light and adding a bit of hand throttle. It has served me well. Have a great Model A Day! Ernie in Arizona

I generally I try to do this also. Yesterday though, I am perty sure I didn't. Practice. I need more practice.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #18
Railcarmover
BANNED

Among the many improvements Ford made with the model B engine a new carb with a side mounted float was used..no effect from starting or stopping quickly,no touchy float adjustment,the float mounted port and starboard as opposed to the A's fore and aft design.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #19
30 Closed Cab PU

Could have been something as simple as something in the float valve, disassembling/cleaning may have fixed it.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #20
Penthode

There are three air-fuel circuits in the Zenith: one for low speed, one high speed and one for idle. The idle circuit is most critical when stopping for if the air-fuel passage is restricted or the idle not properly adjusted, the engine will die when pulling up to a stop.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote