Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
1930coupe

Default Engine question

What's a good running Model 'A' engine going for these days?? Thanks
1930coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: Engine question

About 35-40 MPH.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
1930coupe

WOW - 118 views and 1 smart ass answer to a simple question! Expected more from this group. See ya - and I won't let the door hit me in the ass.
1930coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Railcarmover
BANNED

That's cause it's kind of a loaded question..you can find blocks for 100 bucks,used runners under 1500..but what condition are they in? Who knows..find a good block you can dump 5 to 20 grand in building anything from a stock engine to an OHV racing engine..so yeah,try being just a little more specific
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
That's cause it's kind of a loaded question..you can find blocks for 100 bucks,used runners under 1500..but what condition are they in? Who knows..find a good block you can dump 5 to 20 grand in building anything from a stock engine to an OHV racing engine..so yeah,try being just a little more specific

Yes, the above is very correct, ...but even more to the point is where are you located? One in Florida during January sells for more than one located in Idaho during January. Supply & demand along with location is a big factor.

I have sold running take-outs for $2,500.00 where the customers basically wanted a fresh engine for their vehicle. There were no guarantees other than it will start and run without a funny noise.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Patrick L.

I thought the answer was funny. Some folks just have no sense of humor.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
Railcarmover
BANNED

Knowing exactly what you want is very important as well.Ice cream runner under a thousand miles a year?touring car to run coast to coast? Something fast?..knowing what you want allows you to design what you need....counterbalanced crankshaft?nah,save the money for a nice ice cream runner...but get one and drop some money lightening and balancing at the machine shop for a touring car...
Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I thought the answer was funny. Some folks just have no sense of humor.

I laughed, but this is a person new to the forum hoping for some guidance, so I see his point too. When you are new to the Barn, takes a while to get used to the different personalities and humor/attempts at humor when you are hoping for help.

Oopps, meber since 2010, but only 9 posts, not exactly a new member.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Joe K

Around here a street legal Model A (passes the non-inspection) runs around $8K. Mostly these are restorations from the 1970s, 1980s, possibly the 1990s which have passed into the "go to get ice cream" and "Memorial Day Parade" cars. They look pretty good but there is little or no attention to detail: they are cars restored using repop parts off the shelf and are frequently a mix of model year.

The next level are the newly restored - who have some of the same failings as the first group, but generally pay better attention to originality and quality of part. Partly this comes from increased knowledge. Also availability of parts. Also limited use since their restoration. Prices for this group run $12K to perhaps as much as $24K.

A sub group closer in operational use would be the "only original once" cars - these being primarily barn-fresh specimens who have had some done to the mechanics for safety and roadability - but have had little done cosmetically. Prices vary on this group, but I would put them at the high end of the first grouping - perhaps up to $10K.

This would be for the New England Area. Areas more "flyover" tend to have better bodies - it's possible to have a roadworthy Tudor for about $5K in these areas.

So your local market may vary.

Joe K
Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Hi Joe - Seems he was asking about prices on motors, not entire A's. If you have info on motors, that would be helpful for him.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:13 AM   #11
apbright

A stock, fully restored complete engine ( 'Long Block') can be had for about $3500; you may have to supply a restorable core (these can be found for $200 - $500). If you want higher performance (higher compression head, pressurized oil system, etc.), add an additional $500 - $1500. http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/MODELA.html

I rarely see used, operable engines for sale on their own; in case one would appear, I would think a fair price would be around $1000 - $1500. You might be able to got one for less from some deluded fool intending to mutantize a Model A into a hotrod, not otherwise knowing what to do with a proper engine.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbright View Post
A stock, fully restored complete engine ( 'Long Block') can be had for about $3500; you may have to supply a restorable core (these can be found for $200 - $500). If you want higher performance (higher compression head, pressurized oil system, etc.), add an additional $500 - $1500. http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/MODELA.html

I rarely see used, operable engines for sale on their own; in case one would appear, I would think a fair price would be around $1000 - $1500. You might be able to got one for less from some deluded fool intending to mutantize a Model A into a hotrod, not otherwise knowing what to do with a proper engine.
Model a engines are mutanized,even the quality service you cited modifies engines.Builders today use a wide variety of parts to offer a quality product, providing a longer lasting engine than Ford originally produced.My point is beware holding the mantle of purity,when the car you own isn't pure.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Ernie Vitucci

Good Model 'A' morning...In Arizona a well rebuilt Model 'A' engine with Babbitt mains and rods, assembled as a complete engine, with all new internal parts, running on the test stand, tends to run in the range of $4,000 to $4,500. Normally water pumps, starters, distributors, carburetors and manifolds are supplied by the customer and come from their old engine...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #14
jwilliams81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930coupe View Post
What's a good running Model 'A' engine going for these days?? Thanks
http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/MODELA.html

http://www.schwalms.com/services.htm

To send your engine in and have rebuilt $3,000 to $8,000.
The two above are just two quick examples.

If you put your city location in your profile, people could chime in that live close to you.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #15
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Hi Joe - Seems he was asking about prices on motors, not entire A's. If you have info on motors, that would be helpful for him.
Thank you - that one was late at night when I'm past my horsepower curve.

Engines rebuilt are market - think $2800 for a short block or perhaps $3200 complete. Home-brew rebuild perhaps $500 less - but you get what you pay for. (Most do not have the machining where-with-all to do this right.)

Used engines I've seen are $350 operable but questionable - they might get you to the ice cream parlor for the remainder of the season. $500 for a "spare" engine put away because the now deceased owner "thought it worth keeping." Or perhaps $1000 for a spare decent short block put away "just in case." (not too many of those around.)

I myself recently found myself "gifted" a short block of dubious background - but it seems ok (020 pistons) with small ring ridges. Kept inside. This might be a $500 engine - or if the water jacket is cracked might be a gift. Hey wait - this WAS a gift.

We'll see on this.

Blocks can still be had for the asking - generally these are "set-asides" from before the beginning of the restoration age (1970s) and have been outside. Still, these might make a good core for a rebuild - but expect surprises.

Pressure lube & etc are market. You generally do this on top of a rebuild where everything can be seen.

Joe K
Old 05-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #16
burner31

I would rather have a smart ass answer than no reply at all, but then I like the smart ass replies, they make me smile...so I have that going for me.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #17
chap52

WOW! A little patience and he may have gotten an answer that met his needs. Sad indeed. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #18
TerryO

I'll bet he is still around (Hopefully)

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Engines rebuilt are market - think $2800 for a short block or perhaps $3200 complete. Home-brew rebuild perhaps $500 less - but you get what you pay for. (Most do not have the machining where-with-all to do this right.)

Used engines I've seen are $350 operable but questionable

A FWIW, I have just about quick selling short-blocks. A couple of engine rebuilders have said the same thing to me.

For me personally, I will only do a short-bock for someone who I know really well, -and know his/her level of mechanical abilities. On a long-block, I offer lifetime warranty on the engine rebuild whereas the short-block is on a case-by-case basis. I am wondering how many here actually purchase a short-block and finish it themselves?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #20
katy

Brent, what is your definition of a short block as compared to a long block?
Tnx, Ken