Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #41
GaryU.

Default Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

There is a demonstrator truck that is listed on E-pay right for sale,lots of good pics. It was in Milwaukee area years ago and now about an hour away in Columbus,Wis. Auction number is
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #42
41panelmark

That is a great truck, love the big trucks. Keep us posted on the progress.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
cohammer60

Guess I have been watching too many gas monkey garage shows . I would love to see a truck like that cleaned up and clear coated so all the old details remain just as is on the panels .
cohammer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #44
farmboy

Here's another neat old pic I found yesterday in my cousins old pictures. Looks like it did anything from hauling logs to the sawmill to helping friends move.

Cohammer60, I've got several telling me to do that, it was never yellow while "pop" was using it, so decisions decisions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 133 views)
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #45
Fe26

There's a saying in our hobby/profession "It's only original once." Given that you have a rare demonstrator model, and the close family connection, with paint, signage etc. I would agree with cohammer60. Leave it as a time capsule. I'll offer an experience that many here have had at car shows, when people first get a glimpse of an original vehicle they'll walk right past all the beautiful restorations to get up close and personal with the real deal. The real deal can't be faked (although that's now become an industry all by itself) and people crave the genuine.
Your truck as it now stands is the living proof of it's history, change one thing and you change the story as it is written on the truck. Even what appears to be a bad part of it's history (left outside for years) has had a beneficial outcome in that the branches wore away some blue paint to expose the original colour, that can't be faked, you can't make up a history like that, and that history is also part of your story.
My opinion is to do the bare minimum, excepting brakes, lights, mechanical etc. But before you start take it to a local car show, you will be surprised at how many people will look and comment, also, some will tell you of parts they have tucked away, and you will hear their stories. This is valuable, admittedly you'll have to humour a few old-timers but you will hear some great things. After you have done this and got the truck back home, then comes the time to take your time to decide which way you want to go. Whatever your way is, good luck.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #46
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
There's a saying in our hobby/profession "It's only original once." Given that you have a rare demonstrator model, and the close family connection, with paint, signage etc. I would agree with cohammer60. Leave it as a time capsule. I'll offer an experience that many here have had at car shows, when people first get a glimpse of an original vehicle they'll walk right past all the beautiful restorations to get up close and personal with the real deal. The real deal can't be faked (although that's now become an industry all by itself) and people crave the genuine.
Your truck as it now stands is the living proof of it's history, change one thing and you change the story as it is written on the truck. Even what appears to be a bad part of it's history (left outside for years) has had a beneficial outcome in that the branches wore away some blue paint to expose the original colour, that can't be faked, you can't make up a history like that, and that history is also part of your story.
My opinion is to do the bare minimum, excepting brakes, lights, mechanical etc. But before you start take it to a local car show, you will be surprised at how many people will look and comment, also, some will tell you of parts they have tucked away, and you will hear their stories. This is valuable, admittedly you'll have to humour a few old-timers but you will hear some great things. After you have done this and got the truck back home, then comes the time to take your time to decide which way you want to go. Whatever your way is, good luck.

Thanks so much to everybody, i'm overwhelmed at the feedback you fine folks have given me. This is great advice here, and eloquently said! The final decision will be a joint one, as my dad who actually rode in this truck as a kid with Pop Palmer, will get the final say just out of respect. I agree that there is no truck in the world that looks like this. I may take your advice and after it's drivable again, take it to local car display and just see what folks say and think about her. I wish the old signage was more readable, its really hard to see at certain light angles, but it's there none the less. thanks again to all!
Old 09-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #47
Firepower flyer

If you need more photos of the demonstrator that's mentioned above I have lots of pictures of it, I know the guy that had it on Craigslist for sale here in Milwaukee. It was recently purchased and is back up for sale. Do a fourm search on demonstrator I posted pictures a few years ago when my friend found it.Congrats on the truck!!!

I just searched my old post but the pics are not there anymore,I think I used image shack to post them.If you need them in the future pm your email and I can try to send them that way.
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #48
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
Here's another neat old pic I found yesterday in my cousins old pictures. Looks like it did anything from hauling logs to the sawmill to helping friends move.

Cohammer60, I've got several telling me to do that, it was never yellow while "pop" was using it, so decisions decisions!
When "Pop" bought the truck, it was probably painted with the "Demonstrator" paint scheme. The first thing he would have done would be to buy a couple of quarts of paint and brush over that "ugly" yellow and blue paint and the commercial lettering. He probably got a good price from the original Ford dealer who now had an out of date truck with an odd paint scheme and lettering.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #49
Chris

Very, very neat! Such a great piece of not only your family history, but history of Ford
Old 09-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #50
jerseyboy

Such a cool story and truck. One other benefit of not taking it completely apart, more time to drive it.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #51
BlueSunoco

How cool!! And to have original pictures of this truck!! Please keep us updated very interesting story!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #52
farmboy

Well I've got a few parts ordered for the engine on the way! When I get caughtup later in the week we may try to go ahead and pull the engine! Question is can I not pull the engine with the transmission attached? I want to inspect it as well! Bear with me as I'm learning as I go. I got a friend suppose to help me when time comes who has more experience on things like this. Thanks Bret.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #53
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
Well I've got a few parts ordered for the engine on the way! When I get caughtup later in the week we may try to go ahead and pull the engine! Question is can I not pull the engine with the transmission attached? I want to inspect it as well! Bear with me as I'm learning as I go. I got a friend suppose to help me when time comes who has more experience on things like this. Thanks Bret.

You can pull the engine and trans as one unit, just remove the grill and radiator, unbolt the rear of the trans at the torque tube, trans mount, speedo cable, clutch linkage and remove the shift lever (watch that the little pin in the top of the shift tower does not fall into the transmission). For the engine, unbolt the motor mounts, hoses, wiring, exhaust, linkage, etc and hoist it out. It will be pretty heavy, make sure you have a good engine crane. It's also easy to remove the intake and I use that surface to lift from. put your chain twards the back of the block and the trans should off set it and make it pull out pretty level
Old 09-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #54
Capt Kirk

Bret, you may be able to find an artist that's good enough to replicate the lettering on the doors just enough to enhance what was there...not to the point that it looks all brand new but in a rustic, worn way. There are some amazing artists out there (I'm not one of them!). I agree with FE26...there are likely numerous trucks like yours that have been restored and if you decide to restore it the way it came off the assembly line then you can just toss your truck into the pool with them. Doing so, destroys the family story. You could restore it back to the day that your grandfather painted it blue and did the lettering on the doors. That would preserve the way your grandfather wanted the truck and the way it was when he used it. You can preserve it the way it was when you found it. You'd loose some of what your grandfather wanted but would preserve the life history of the vehicle after your grandfather and father parked it out in the field. Would your grandfather...would your dad want it put back with new blue and lettering? My situation was a little different, when I got the 35 from my dad, the body work had been done and it was primered (back in the 70's) and it was clearly my dad's intention to restore it like new. I restored the car the way he would have wanted it. Sorry dad but the black rustoleum paint on the firewall and dash had to go! My dad saw the car before he died and I was told he was proud. Bret, whatever your decision is, make your dad and your grandfather proud first and foremost.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #55
farmboy

I talked to my dad about it today and he is still pretty adamant about restoring it like his grandfather had it, blue paint with the cursive signage. He says this is not a show truck but a family heirloom and that's what means most to him, but I agree with what you all are saying as well. The final decision will be his of course, but the unique way that it looks now and a demonstrator truck wildcard has definately made it an interesting decision for me
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #56
49fordv8f4

Bret, That is a very nice truck. I think I would have to agree with your dad, restore it like it was when your grandpa owned it. I would definitely take lots of photos of the signage on the door and have someone repaint that as close to the original as possible. I think I would spray the paint on instead of using a brush like grandpa though.
Mark
P.S. I sent you a PM
49fordv8f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #57
Capt Kirk

Bret, the decision has been made. Makes life easier for you! You're not the owner of the truck...you're the caretaker of it. You're not going to sell it so it doesn't matter if it's worth $5 or $500,000. You're dad's "adamant"...hell, I'd think that if he even "suggested" that it be put back the way grandpa had it...that would be enough. The truck will always be a Demonstrator regardless of what it looks like! Respect your dad's wishes because he's probably basing that on what he (and not you) knows his dad would want. There's the Rat Rod crowd out there and your truck would be a great candidate for that. I might be a little anal in that respect...I like things that are different than that. In accordance with your dad's wishes (take a ton of pictures), paint it the color blue that's on there and hire an artist to letter the doors. When it's done...and your dad sees it for the first time...I bet he has tears in his eyes!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #58
farmboy

I am going to have to replace all the glass in the truck it looks like, I've seen some window kits on ebay in the 300 dollar range. Thought about going to my local glass shop and see if they could cut some to fit and price that. What have you guys done in the past to replace your glass/windshields? Was there any tint used back then in the glass, im assuming there wasn't? thanks Bret
Old 09-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #59
alan

it is all flat glass, the hardest piece to replace is the windshield, it is a two piece frame and must be separated to replace the glass (after it is removed from the cab), back window is a rubber seal, door glass sits in a channel across the bottom. I just did a 35 car and the cost for all the channels, glass, gaskets was less than $200. one thing to look into is the sliding back glass-sure makes the cab cooler in the summer. no tint, I used a light green tint in my 41 truck and you can hardly tell. good luck
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #60
farmboy

I noticed it had two layers of glass? Does it have to be replaced like that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.9 KB, 56 views)