Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #1
56yblock

Default aluminium radiator

hello guys
what do you think about the new aluminum radiators , i must to fix mine but the cost is most to expensive that if i buy a new
56yblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: aluminium radiator

Read this thread- http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic135874.aspx

It is describing a BIRD, but basically the same.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Sid

Default Re: aluminium radiator

They work great. Put one in my 55 that has a very stout 312. Runs 170 even on 85+ degree days. Just beware of the lower hose diameter of the ones on evil bay. Y blocks take a 2" dia. lower hose and many aftermarket sells them with 1.75 lower. You can bush it up or have them correct it for about $25.00. I had them correct mine. Mine is a Champion.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
craig

About 9 years ago I had heating problems with my '47 Merc with stroked 59ab flathead, cam, heads, 4 bbl carb and a C4 trans. The car had an original design rad, but had an electric fan in front of the radiator and no mechanical fan. The car was iffy to keep cool on an 80 degree day and I wanted to add A/C.
I contacted 3 or 4 aluminum rad builders and explained my needs, but none could guarantee that they could provide something that would be 100%, on a flathead, with A/C., with electric or mechanical fans, or both. I contacted a major builder of copper antique radiators and was told the version they sold would be an exact bolt in, with a preinstalled condenser, and they would guarantee it to cool, with A/C, just using a properly sized puller electric fan (behind the rad), or they would buy it back. They told me that copper retains temperature longer, hot or cold, than aluminum does. I gave it a try.
Twenty thousand miles later it still cools, with the A/C blowing, in traffic or on the highway even on 100 degree days. Copper works for me and if it should develop a leak it's probably easier to have repaired
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
40cpe

Craig, it sounds like you made the right decision. What brand/size fan did you use?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:57 AM   #6
alandomer

Seems like the copper radiator is a better choice than an aluminum one. Where did you get yours?
alandomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
ahshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
They work great. Put one in my 55 that has a very stout 312. Runs 170 even on 85+ degree days. Just beware of the lower hose diameter of the ones on evil bay. Y blocks take a 2" dia. lower hose and many aftermarket sells them with 1.75 lower. You can bush it up or have them correct it for about $25.00. I had them correct mine. Mine is a Champion.

Not true...My 272 "Y" block '56 F100 has a 1 3/4" lower outlet. And it IS a stock original radiator.
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahshoe View Post
Not true...My 272 "Y" block '56 F100 has a 1 3/4" lower outlet. And it IS a stock original radiator.
For some reason I was under the impression we were talking car. I don't know what your truck has. I do know that the water pump accepts a 2" hose and all 4 of the Y blocks I'm running all have a 2" lower hose at the radiator.As far as copper vs. aluminum I prefer the old copper myself but I can buy 3 aluminum radiators for the cost of one copper. and the aluminum seems to do the job well. You see a lot of them around. I guess all my y blocks are mongoloids.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
40cpe

My '55 Fairlane 272" has a 2" ID lower hose.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
craig

I used a Walker brand radiator, with their mounted condenser. I also used their recommended fan shroud. The shroud fully covers the rad and you cut open the area where you want to mount your fan. Makes a very clean install
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #11
56yblock

that's what's the better? , repair the original or buy a new aluminium radiator ?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Post Re: aluminium radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56yblock View Post

that's what's the better? , repair the original or buy a new aluminium radiator ?
That depends on the car/owner and if you want it to remain stock appearing or if you want to modify it.

A copper radiator can be re-cored (well ... ... so can an aluminum).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Sid

It's nice to see a nice polished copper tank. It's just tough to cough up five or six hundred dollars for a new one. It was a tough decision for me to go aluminum but many folks are going that route and happy. It is also said that aluminum dissipates heat better than copper. As stated earlier you can buy 3 aluminum radiators for what one copper costs and still have beer money. Personally at the shows I can accept seeing a aluminum radiator in a 50's Ford engine as opposed to a late model small block Ford. And nothing against small blocks,they just have their place. Personally I prefer the copper. Just not willing to pay the crazy price for it and don't feel the aluminum will de-value the car that much.

Last edited by Sid; 06-02-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
56yblock

i've keep my old original radiator and i found someone to rebuild it, and now it's like new...good job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190816_174054.jpg (40.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190816_174034.jpg (29.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
51504bat

Been thinking about this one for my '54 Ranch Wagon. I've got a Brassworks in my '39 and love it but I do like this aluminum one since it looks original and the price is reasonable. Sorry about the size of the photo, couldn't figure out how to post a larger version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-1955-1...UAAOSwA3xcL6~O

FOR 1954, 1955 & 1956 FORD PASSENGER CARS:
SUNLINER, SKYLINER, CUSTOMLINE, CRESTLINE, MAINLINE, VICTORIA & CROWN VICTORIA

LIFETIME WARRANTY

THIS IS A DIRECT BOLT IT
IT HAS STAMPED ORIGINAL STYLE TANKS
2 LARGE 1 1/8" TUBES, MORE CAPACITY THEN 3 OR 4 ROWS
1 1/2" INLET, 2" OUTLET

CORE SIZE
-19 1/2" WIDE, 19 3/4" TALL, 2 1/2" THICK
OVER ALL (WIDEST POINTS)
23 1/4" WIDE, 25'' TALL, 4'' THICK
  • Please note: a large 2-row aluminum radiator will cool better the a 3-row or even 4-row aluminum radiator.
  • Aluminum is NOT LIKE COPPER where more tubes/rows means more cooling. It is the size of the tubes/rows that provide the best cooling.
  • The highest cooling efficiency is with 2 rows 1 inch to 1&1/8 inch wide. Do your research and you will find any major name brand radiator shop will be building them with 2-large rows. Usually at a premium price. This radiator is every bit the quality of any high dollar radiator with a lifetime warranty against any manufacturer defect. Remember Just because they can bend and weld aluminum into the shape of a radiator does not mean they know how to make it cool properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radiator.jpg (1.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
grumppyoldman

My 55 Fairlane has an aluminum radiator with 3 electric fans, a push on the front and 2 pulls on the back. Running a 302 built engine and it runs 170 deg all the time and it get's hot in Texas. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #17
y'sguy

My bird has an alum radiator now after 40+ years of ownership. I painted it black. No one knows it's not stock and also I don't care anyway. It runs cooler and seems to dissipate heat quicker after shutdown. Very happy with the decision I made. I had the original reworked several times over years of ownership, so I did make the effort.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #18
Ford blue blood

Put a Champion 3 row aluminum in my 57 Ranchero with a warmed up 351C. With a 195 t-stat it will idle for as long as I want it to at 195 in a 92 degree shop with no fan on the nose of the car. Running a 62 Bird A/C clutch fan. Couldn't be happier.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
grumppyoldman

I'll see if I can post a pic. of mine, not too good at this but gona try again. Thought I had a better pic of it, but not. Al

Last edited by grumppyoldman; 02-07-2020 at 05:25 PM.
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote