Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 AM   #41
Chris Haynes

Default Re: DMV Inspection Failed, Now CHP California

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
All well and good until you run into the DMV person that knows where the proper VIN is stamped on a Model A frame. Could be considered a felony by some DMV people.

It may have worked for you, but consider the next guy that owns your car and the problems that he might have registering the car in another state.
Take it to AAA.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #42
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
I was surprised to hear about the problem with the Maine registration. We register all our freight trailers through Maine. I almost registered a 50 Chevy PU there. They said any car over 15 years old does not get a title, just registration and plates, and they don't care where the car resides.

Just a suggestion if you get tired of messing with CA DMV.
CA is a title state for all vehicles.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #43
Marshall57

In Nevada back when the model As were new, you could get all your paperwork with a bill of sale. My car never had a title. I didn’t want a car without a legal title so I first went through official channels at the state capital and was up against a brick wall needing paperwork and signatures that I couldn’t get and that had never existed. I had pulled the body for other reasons and had our police officer take a look at the frame number and sign off on it before putting it back on the frame, but it didn't seem to make any difference at the state level.
The seller asked to give it a try and took her father’s will giving her the car (just a vague description), some old registration and a defiant attitude, and we trooped down to the DMV.
To my astonishment they looked over what we had and signed off on it, and I have the first title the car ever had.
I would think that getting the paperwork right will save untold headaches for you and for your family down the road if and when you would like to sell your car.
If you don't take the time to get it right, and the numbers won’t match, under close scrutiny you will not have paperwork for the car you own, instead having a title to a car whose motor you now have installed in your car, or even a title with numbers that in no way are attached to the car you are trying to sell.
I am no lawyer but it seems to me that if I were trying to buy a Model A and found the numbers on the title didn't match the car, I would shy away from the purchase.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote