Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
flipp

Default DMV Inspection Failed, Now CHP California

Guys,

I bought my Model A out of state.

I need to register it in California.

I just got back from DMV and my Model A didn't pass inspection because the engine serial number didn't match the Title Certificate. So, the DMV referred me to the local CHP office for further inspection. I have an appointment next week with CHP.

Question/s:

Is it unusual for the engine to have a different VIN number than the chassis on a Model A?

Does anyone here have any experience in this area?

I still need for DMV to assign my YOM plates (after it passes inspection).. Dang!!

California Sucks!!!
flipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: DMV Inspection Failed, Now CHP California

Most Model A's these days have had the engine changed out at one time or another, therefore the frame # and the engine # won't match like they did when they came from the factory.

On mine, the engine # matches the title, but it is obvious to anyone that knows Model A's that the engine # is not a factory stamped number.

Here in Alaska, when I went to register my PU, they took the California title with narry a wobble. 15 minutes and $200 and I was out of there with my new Alaska "Collector Car" plates.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
flipp

Thanks CarlG.. I agree. I think the engine has been replaced. But weird thing is that the out of state (Colorado in this case) title certificate shows a different VIN number on it.

Is that going to be a problem when CHP inspects it?
flipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
shuttlebuggy

Sent you a PM
shuttlebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipp View Post
Guys,

I bought my Model A out of state.

I need to register it in California.

I just got back from DMV and my Model A didn't pass inspection because the engine serial number didn't match the Title Certificate. So, the DMV referred me to the local CHP office for further inspection. I have an appointment next week with CHP.

Question/s:

Is it unusual for the engine to have a different VIN number than the chassis on a Model A?

Does anyone here have any experience in this area?

I still need for DMV to assign my YOM plates (after it passes inspection).. Dang!!

California Sucks!!!

I had the same issue twice in Florida. I asked my local club for advice. Your closest club can tell you what works in Calif. Good Luck.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
silversink

This is the reason I keep the old engine in the back of the shop, I have to go thru this very thing changing the title from Washington to Oregon. Can't wait as the DMV says we have ways to solve these title change problems---don't know if this is good or bad.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
1930artdeco

This is what I did when I registered my car from Oregon to Ca. I went down and when they asked about the VIN I explained that the car does not have a VIN number and that they used the engine number. In my case it was registered in Oregon and they installed a sticker in the door jamb with that number. So that is what they used. I DID NOT tell then where the frame number was as I did not want to lift the body.

The DMV just doesn't know there job when it comes to these cars (sorry to anyone who works for DMV here). You will have to educate them unless you find someone who remembers these cars when new.

Mike
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
al's28/33

I showed them the engine stamp # and said this is all I got! Plus I brought my "A" books that detailed the engine stamp # and had the guy read a few highlighted lines and he thought a little then passed me!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Ron W

In Maine, made sure the engine number matched the paper work. I have no idea what it says on the frame. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Slowplane

The first rule when dealing with the California DMV is..... DON'T!!

always use, or, at least, talk to a DMV service. These are private companies that are savvy to the DMV nuances, and, for a small fee, handle your paperwork for you.
When I lived in California, and was buying and restoring out-of-state or country cars and motorcycles, I found them invaluable. Basically they will help you not to "put yer foot in it", as so often happens when dealing with government agencies.
Slowplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
PC/SR

Dealing with Calif DMV and the CHP worked out for me because the CHP guy liked old cars and was much more interested in talking about the car than in doing the paperwork so he OKed it with just making a new registration plate he rivited on. I had no paper whatsoever to start with.
However, Slowplane's advice to get a DMV service assistant is good advice if things go sideways. They are usually former DMV employees and know the rules and procedures better that you ever will.
I suggest you let the CHP guy look at it and see what he does. It might work out. If not, search the web for a Service in SoCal.
Just remember that they want the registration money so ultimately it can be done.

Last edited by PC/SR; 02-14-2014 at 10:01 PM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #12
ronn

Never heard of having to inspect in Cali............ am wondering what route you've gone?
Have sold "paper" to Cali and never an inspection-one of the easiest states.
Slow has it right, when you don't know what you are doing......... use an agency.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #13
Brobrian

I live in CA, and had exactly the same experience. It took a while. The first step was to get the CHP to install a vin plate on the door jam. Then head back to the DMV. Clear sailing after that.

In my case there was an additional step because the supervisor at the DMV didn't know the rules for old cars. She said that since mine was a pickup it had to be registered as a commercial vehicle and thus have a tare established. So, I had to go to the local dump and have them give me a tare certificate before the DMV would register the pickup. Shouldn't be an issue with coupes and sedans.

I have to agree with the post about using another agency rather that the DMV. My neighbor uses AAA. I'm not insure with them, but after getting the runaround from the DMV, I'll go another route next time.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #14
denis4x4

Learned years ago that when the body is off the frame, call a local law enforcement agency and pay $25 for a VIN verification certificate that you can use later to register the A. There are some DMV personel that know that Model A's have a frame number and that's what they want to register the car. Too, I always clean up the frame where the number is stamped and use white-out to highlight the numbers and take photos.

I understand that this isn't a solution for somebody buying a finished car, but it helps if you're doing a restoration on a car with dubious paperwork or doing a bonded title.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 AM   #15
TerryH

I also live in S. Calif., and when I bought my Model A out of state about 8 years ago, a good friend suggested I use our local AAA office...... Which I did, and they had a man there that specialized in registering old cars. He was very helpful and handled the whole process without dealing with a DMV drone. Not sure it would be that easy with your situation but you might try asking them. The office I used was in Newport Beach.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 AM   #16
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Flipp,
Don't go to the CHP unless you want them to put a tag on your door.
Since the motor number is different, they will require you to remove the body or they will register it with a DMV or a CHP number, not a Model A number.

I can recommend a service and I can give you some options on some things to do.

Neil
[email protected]
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #17
big job

Ya gotta be kidding. Dont tell me Ca. is also taking stuip pills? Could be worse, here
in Taxachusetts they think they are still in the civil war. Me on a fixed income spent
out of whats left of my savings for my last ride a 1923 Ford. Of course there's no
title, but I got all paper work from the seller on official state issued noterized Conn. stationary. So dumb & the dumbers want a bill of sale from the origional owner, "that
was planted" in 1943, and I'm not a grave digger. I will not buy some $800 title
either. They can go kiss my ass, the car runs perfectly with skull & bone plates, from
my pickup. dont tell me conseqences, I'm a retired police sgt. Stay tune'ed, If I do
get caught I promise I shall be on national Tv. and expose these dispicable RMV
who make their own rules (overnite). Another RMV stupidity, is thousands upon
thousand Authorized Reman. Ford engines were installed. Oh going back to if I
get caught= Its been one year now for the Boston bomber, still gettin fed watchin
tv gets clean clothes while many inocent people now with no arms and legs and dead. So the better not screw with this old man.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #18
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I also live in S. Calif., and when I bought my Model A out of state about 8 years ago, a good friend suggested I use our local AAA office...... Which I did, and they had a man there that specialized in registering old cars. He was very helpful and handled the whole process without dealing with a DMV drone. Not sure it would be that easy with your situation but you might try asking them. The office I used was in Newport Beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA View Post
Flipp,
Don't go to the CHP unless you want them to put a tag on your door.
Since the motor number is different, they will require you to remove the body or they will register it with a DMV or a CHP number, not a Model A number.

I can recommend a service and I can give you some options on some things to do.

Neil
[email protected]
I cant really help you, but to me , these two seem to be the path I would take. This is one area of the Model A experience where you dont want to "learn as you go". Screw up the title and it will follow you as long as you own the car. Good Luck!!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipp View Post
Thanks CarlG.. I agree. I think the engine has been replaced. But weird thing is that the out of state (Colorado in this case) title certificate shows a different VIN number on it.

Is that going to be a problem when CHP inspects it?
So, are you saying that the engine number doesn't match the frame number doesn't match the title VIN ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #20
DrinkMan

I hate to brag, but reading all these really makes me appreciate my experience. I walked in with bill-of-sale, out of state title, and fingers crossed. The Ga DOT clerk, laughed, handed me back the title, said for old classic cars the bill-of-sale will do and asked if I had a picture of the car to show her. She complimented me on the color and asked me questions while the paper work was printing. Handed me back everything ready to hit the road and told me to bring the car by sometime. She even called over co-workers to look at my cell phone picture. Glad I live in rural Ga.

A diverse fleet - nothing boring:
1928 Ford Tudor
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce (Duetto)
1973 Opel GT
1973 Triumph TR6
1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6+ engine: Spit6
2005 Lotus Elise
DrinkMan is offline   Reply With Quote