Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2020, 04:40 AM   #1
reggiedog

Question Model A service Bulletins complete book the yellow one

HI;

Just wondering here now I was going through the book and when I came upon page, 308 and turned the page to see page 309 but there wasn't a page 309 so my question is this has this happened to anyone else or am I the only one that is missing that page.

But now it also makes me think as to how many other pages that are missing in that book, as I found this one but how many more are there in the book or did the printer of the book screw up when the book was being made.

Yes I know that the bottom page numbers are the actual page number and the top page numbers are actually the Service Bulletins page numbers, but if you look at all of the top numbers there all together except that page so far so am I wrong here or what's going on?.

Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
springerpete

Default Re: Model A service Bulletins complete book the yellow one

My yellow book is the same as yours, 309 is missing. In my larger, green paperback copy page 309 is also missing but 308 and 310 a divided by a Ford Service Bulletin page, kind of a divider.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:38 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

They did not "screw up" intentionaly...They just left out some things such as advertisements that did not pertain to "fixing" things.

There are repro Service Bulletins out there that are complete,,,Do the research.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
reggiedog

Steve,
Why do the research on something like that, I just didn't know why it was missing it was just a simple question. As I didn't know as I have every Service Letter Book there is like Chicago, Indianapolis and Fargo but those are Service Letters and NOT Bulletins.

But what is the difference between them is beyond me as to me the Chicago, Indianapolis and Fargo is in more detail but that's just me, as the Yellow Book is Not in much detail as the others are in more detail.

As that Book just more or less tells you when stuff came out witch is great for me as I can date my car with that, in which I did date my car with that book but I was just going through it this morning and noticed a few pages missing and so I wanted to find out if I was the only one.

That was like that as I didn't notice that before so I had to just ask that question and find out if any one else's book was like that or if mine was the only one, I just had to find out if that was so or not.

Reggiedog
Old 06-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
reggiedog

Steve,

Got to ask you this when is your third book coming out as I have been kind of waiting for it, as I have read all of your other books so I'm just waiting for your last one to come out so I can read that also.

But time after time I go through your book as I'm always looking something up, and you are the only one that has the information I want. But I wish you had gone back to when the plants first started as there's information on the Milwaukee plant that to this day I'm still looking for.

And that's NOT the only plant that I'm interested in like the Milwaukee Plant in about 1920 added a addition and doubled in size, with a two story Building the same size as the Building that is standing there today.

But that addition was torn down as I have been trying to find more information on that as that Building was Built for the Fordson Tractors to be made there, as I have the date but the city of Milwaukee don't have that information so as far as I know I'm on my own.

But I still keep trying to find that information out as I have the newspaper clippings that tell me when it opened, as that was about the same time as when the Ford Plant started to make fenders in there.

As they were also making Model A fenders in that Plant now it was just the rear fenders that they were making not the front fenders as that started with the Model T truck fenders and than the Model A rear fenders.

As I have the proof of that and I'm still looking for the picture of that as I seen the picture of it, as I told you that before and I had a copy of that until the papers went off line that's when I lost it.

As I had a lot of copies of stuff that I'm still looking for today as I say I have a 50/50 chance of finding them, but it's been over a year now and still nothing but I kind of gave it up as I stopped.

Doing research on that Plant but from time to time I still do the research on the Milwaukee Plant as I gave up the other Plants, but the Milwaukee Plant I have everything the Building permits, Detailed Blueprints of the Building and everything else that pertains to that Building I have.

So yes I'm still from time to time still doing research on Just that Plant as I gave up the other two Plants the ones that opened the same day as the Milwaukee Plant did, I have that also but right now my information isn't together but I can still find stuff it just takes more time.

But Steve Please let me know as to when your book is coming out

Reggiedog
Old 06-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Jeff,

Can not tell you...got to many other things on my plate right now.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
My yellow book is the same as yours, 309 is missing. In my larger, green paperback copy page 309 is also missing but 308 and 310 a divided by a Ford Service Bulletin page, kind of a divider.
My green larger paperback has that page also. It marks a new month of bulletins. Look at the dates in the center of the page. Page 309 is January 1929, Page 317 is February 1929, Page 325 is March 1929, etc. Don't know why the hardcover is like it is.

Scan of page 309 in green paperback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Service Bulletin.jpg (50.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-22-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

A complete set of full size service bulletins was reproduced by MARC in April of 1997. I quote from the Forward, 'Model "A" Service Bulletins began in January 1928 (Page 201) and continued as monthly updates throughout the production of the Model "A" Ford-through October 1931 (Page 601). Ford also produced an Index for the Service Bulletins (dated September 1931). These 400 pages, plus the 12 page Index are reprinted herein.' This set of reproduction bulletins is in a loose leaf version of the original binder. This set is no longer made.

The Ford Service Bulletins for 1932 also have some valuable Model "A" and Model "B" engine info. The 1932 bulletins are also reproduced. The Model "A" Service Bulletins have Page 308 which is the last page of the 1928 Service Bulletins. There is no page numbered 310, however between Pages 308 & 310 there is an introductory page for the 1929 Service Bulletins.
The small size copies of the bulletins have several pages removed because the editor thought those pages were not applicable to servicing the Model "A." For example, the entire Service Bulletin of July, 1930, a message to dealers about keeping their shops neat and clean, and about customer relations, is not in the small books. Also, the unnumbered introductory front pages for each month are omitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Service-Bulletins-Model-A-Ford-1928-1931-MARC-350.jpg (65.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 06-22-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
reggiedog

Question Re: Model A service Bulletins complete book the yellow one

HI;

My book don't have page 309 like I said and I take it yours does as I was told by Steve Plucker as to why I don't have that page, it was taken out because it was a advertisement or something of that nature as he said the Yellow book kept all of that stuff out of that book.

His post is on here read it as he says what happened with the yellow book and why it's like that, as I understand what he says and I'm going with what he says as I believe him as I think he would know more than I would on that.

Reggiedog
Old 06-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

The original set has full page, sometimes full sheet(facing pages) pictures showing how the shop should look, parts display etc, I have a original set, and before that I had wondered what the "missing " pages were
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
reggiedog

Question Re: Model A service Bulletins complete book the yellow one

Bob;

Now you are partly correct but the yellow book and the service bulletins that I also have, the yellow book is the only one I'm talking about here, as I'm missing page 309 not 310 or any other pages just 309 and if you read the beginning of this.

You would read Steve Pluckers post on here as he explains why I'm missing that page, and I have to believe him as he knows more than I would know about that so I have to go with what he says.

Reggiedog
Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

I bought that book when I was a Senior in H.S. back in the fall of '71. I used to take it to Study Hall to read.

Still have it and still get it out to look at it.

Gee it probably cost 4 bucks back then, and seemed like a lot of money
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
CarlG

Jeff,
The little yellow book was a lot easier to read as a Senior in HS. These days, not so much. I bought the full size paperback just because it has much larger type. It also has some of the "missing" pages that were omitted in the little yellow book.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #14
reggiedog

Smile Re: Model A service Bulletins complete book the yellow one

Ya; You are correct on that as I have the other smaller book also and you have a hard time reading it, as the yellow book is much easier to read I never did get the green one as that to me didn't have as much info in it as the yellow book does.

As I dated my car with the yellow book it had that much info in it and I'm still using it today, have had it for about ten years now as at the time it was out of print I couldn't get it as I've tried used book stores and all and still nothing.

Plus when the Letters came out I bought everyone of them so I have all three of them also, and there nice to have as they also have a lot of info in them and those I still use lot also.

But I also have the mechanics hand book and I use that the most as that tells you how to take stuff apart and put back together, I never did get the other books of them it seams I just don't need them as I know enough as to how to fix stuff on the car anyway that I just don't need them.

reggiedog
Old 06-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
reggiedog

Carl;

You mean to tell me the paperback one has larger print them the yellow one I didn't know that one, I have a paperback one but the print is so small I can't read it so I got rid of it as it wasn't doing me any good having it let some kid have it as then he can read it.

Now I suppose that will probably end up being my next book to buy as my eyes are getting really bad now, I have to use cheaters all the time to read the more I'm on the computer the worse they get but that's life they say.

As I don't mind reading the stuff for the car but it's getting hard to do now a days I have the step up on the glasses now, but I'm trying to wait as long as I can to use them as I don't want to use them but I'm sure I'm going to have to.

But it's either that or the books go out farther I will take the books out farther if I have to just to not to use them but I know it's coming, boy I was looking on your thing you are in about every club there is to be in so how many cars do you own and what kind are they?.

reggiedog
Old 06-22-2020, 10:56 PM   #16
CarlG

reggiedog,

I only have one Model A, a 1931 Bud Cab Pickup and a 1936 Mullins Red Cap all steel utility trailer.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #17
reggiedog

Smile Re: Model A service Bulletins complete book the yellow one

Well,

At least you have something as I know a lot of people that don't have anything and just have friends that have them, as me I only have one also and mine is a Late 31 Deluxe Tudor Sedan that I won't sell for any cost as I've been offered vets for it and still won't sell it.

Reggiedog