Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #21
DannL

Default Re: Where oh where has all the gas gone?

Went and put 7.2 gallons in the tank . . . which on top of what was already in there comes to exactly 7 inches of gas in the tank. Reads full on the fuel gauge. Will monitor this and see how quickly the gas vanishes. ;-)

Started another thread to address this carburetor leak I found.

Last edited by DannL; 08-07-2019 at 07:14 AM.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:22 PM   #22
DannL

I may have found part of this problem. I just learned that I have been running the choke mixture adjust on the full open side . . . instead of partially open. Yikes! A copy of the manual that I just viewed online says (paraphrasing) to turn the adjust fully to the "right" until it seats, and then back a 1/4 turn. Will have to experiment with this.

This may also answer as to why there are carbon spats (droplets) on the concrete drive directly behind the exhaust where I always park. Mixture too rich?

Last edited by DannL; 08-06-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:56 PM   #23
TerryH

If you’ve been running it that rich you might want to pull & clean your spark plugs.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:43 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Both my tank valve and carb needle has a slight seep when I first bought my 29 Tudor, so over the first winter I lost a full tank of gas with no driving. I lapped both vales with toothpaste, and they both still hold fine 25 years later.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #25
DannL

Since this is a hobby for me (hope that's not a bad word "hobby") I'm going to tackle each of these "suspects" one at a time. No hurry, as it's not my primary vehicle. You'll soon notice that I prefer to take the long "educational" route in fix stuff. Ordered a carburetor rebuild kit. And ordered a crank, as the car didn't come with one, so I can try the timing adjust the old fashion way.

How would it go over if I convert the car to "all electric"? Like a lead balloon? ;-)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #26
DannL

Well, it looks like the carburetor had little to do with this gas consumption problem. Replaced it with a Zenith 2, which the car has "not" taken a liking to. The big culprit was the retarded timing. So, to those who suggested "timing" . . . you was right. Now with the timing fixed (TDC) there's no more soot coming from the tail pipe and gas consumption has gone way down. The engine now sounds somewhat "clankier", but I suspect I need to get accustomed to this. Also noticed that it's much more difficult to start the engine now. But, we're working through each problem, one at a time.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #27
Nosetime

I read a funny story about a guy who bought a newer economy car. The guys he worked with were tired of his gas milage boasting, so they started adding a few gallons of fuel to his car each week. They really enjoyed the stories about his milage improving each week!
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote