Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Chuck

Thumbs down Tricks for downshift?

Just starting to drive my newly restored 1929 Tudor. Any suggestions on techniques for downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear without grinding gears? Thanks for you help, Chuck
Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Tricks for downshift?

Its called "double clutching"

here are the words as described in the official Ford Instruction Book that came with every Model A:

"Disengage the clutch and shift into neutral. Reengage the clutch and at the same time accelerate the engine; then disengage the clutch and shift to second, after which reengage the clutch. With a little experience, this shift can be made quietly."

heres a link to a tutorial video. Unfortunately, its a modern car. There are some of antiques, but the film direction is poor and the technique is difficult to see in them, although you can hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI3cH...ext=1&index=37
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Ray in La Mesa

I have found that you need to rev the engine much higher than you think to downshift from 3-2. Double clutching can help with the timing of the shift. In a newly restored A every thing is stiff & tight so it might take a few miles to let all the parts comfortably mesh together before you try downshifting. It just takes practice.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

You also will find it hard to downshift from 3rd to 2nd is you are going to fast. I know with my rig, about 20 or 25 MPH is it max speed I can have to downshift.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

The trick is to rev the engine (and the gears) to the speed they will be in the lower gear. I go by the sound of the engine. When you engage the clutch in neutral, you are matching the gear speed to the engine speed. Try driving around in second at 20MPH and listen to the sound. Then shift down from 3rd into 2nd at 20 and try to match the sound you familiarized with when you double clutch. When you get it right, the gears slide in without grinding a pound of metal shavings off the teeth. Once you get it, its actually fun.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
oldredford

I don't seem to have a problem downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Using my Mitchell sync transmission makes it a breeze.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I don't have the double clutch problem with my T-5.

Jack
Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
dr.j

The slower you go are going, the easier it is. For the first few weeks I completed 2 out of 10 without a grind, it was a reason to celebrate; now 2 out of 10 down shifts are met with a slight grind and a frown. It just takes a little time to learn the technique. I find if I "tap" the gas while in N rather than a solid rev and wait for the RPM to drop, it slides into 2nd better. As for 2nd to 1st, I don't even bother trying.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
30ccpickup

Is it not the rule to never down shift to first?

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Bruce,Upstate NY

Take a ride with someone who is good at it.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

great advice form all, take your time this is what makes diving this so much fun you have to think, to me this is why i love the cars no modern shifting you are truly turning back time , I also use the tap method when down shifting and pause when up shifting good luck see you out there
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Cajun

Another solution is a Mitchell syncro transmission. It looks just like a normal Model A transmission but has syncro's inside. A bit expensive but nice.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
Bruce of MN

I learned to drive in my family's '55 Pontiac with non-synchro 1st and then we had a '64 Corvair with the same, so I have a bit of a head start with getting back to double clutching my A. Motorcycles require a throttle blip in mid downshift, too, but no neutral gate, of course.

It's just another action that takes practice to become proficient at.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Patrick L.

Practice makes perfect, well, almost.. Shifting into first isn't any different, you're just going slower, a lot slower..These ole monsters with a standard flywheel don't have any trouble pulling away from a crawl in 2nd, but, the same methods work to slip it into first..This is all part of the old car hobby..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #15
V4F

i learned by yrs of driving truck . it is ez if you try . it may take a few outings to get it . when you go around a corner at an intersection in town , just go to neutral , rev the motor up , slide it in gear (2nd) when the rpm's first start to come down . .. steve
Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
skip
Banned

Blip [on & off] the throttle with the clutch un touched. Before the transmission slows back down slip her from third into two, or from two into one with a slight finger pressure on the stick shift. It's very easy to do and there is no grind. You'll be suprised how fast this happens.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
JunkOSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
Blip [on & off] the throttle with the clutch un touched. Before the transmission slows back down slip her from third into two, or from two into one with a slight finger pressure on the stick shift. It's very easy to do and there is no grind. You'll be suprised how fast this happens.

skip.
Skip, If I am understanding you correctly, there is no need to engage the clutch (double clutch) while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd as long as you blip the throttle to match gear/engine speeds?

Thanks,
Tim
JunkOSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkOSC View Post
Skip, If I am understanding you correctly, there is no need to engage the clutch (double clutch) while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd as long as you blip the throttle to match gear/engine speeds?

Thanks,
Tim

That's what it sounds like he's saying. However it isn't quite that easy. The transmission will feel "stuck" in gear with any type of load i.e., accelerating or decelerating. You have to reduce that load (or force it) to get it into neutral. You then match the engine speed to the travel speed for the gear you want to slip it into. There is less latitude in the RPM matching than with the clutch. You can do the same in any modern car but you have the benefit of the syncros blocking you out of gear until the RPM matches.

If you don't have the ability to double clutch at almost any given moment, you will have difficulty shifting without the clutch without issues.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
Glenn C.

While all the practice is taking place learning to double clutch, and downshift properly, you might think about building up another transmission to have on the shelf as a spare, then you can take out your practice unit and go with a dependable transmission. (humor) Make it easier on the head.....Go with a Mitchell or T5. We are getting older. If you stay with the original transmission, affix a magnet at least inside the drain plug to catch as many grindings as possible. Change oil often.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
kp

I'm an old geezer and would'nt advise anyone else to do this but I shift with out using the clutch,just get the R's right,Down or up,drove my diesel truck many miles doin this,only use the clutch when stopping. It takes practice ,I learned driving a Military jeep.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote