Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
CB919ER

Default Your Model A

Because I like hearing people's story about things in which we share a mutual interest:

What made you decide to acquire a Model A?
What made you pick the body type you have?
How has your experience with the car been since you had it?

I'll be glad to start. I've said before this was my grandpa's car. He got in the early 80s and restored it. I have many fond memories of riding in the car with him and in the rumble seat with my sisters/cousins. When my grandmother passed away she left me the car as she knew the love I had for my grandpa and the car. As a child when the house was full with family I would often take a blanket and pillow and sleep across the front seat. (I'm to big for that now)

I have the what I believe is the tudor with rumble seat, because that is what was left to me, but i wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm hoping to continue to build fond happy memories with the car and my family.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Sunnybrook Farm

Default Re: Your Model A

When I was a little kid in the early 60s my father had a 31 coupe that he drove on the mail route some and in hard to get to fishing areas but sold it. We got a 30 coupe a few years later and drove it with the local club. Now I am working on getting an unrestored rusted 30 tudor going, just going to leave this one rusty as I am through restoring them, just want it to drive around and maybe go fishing at hard to get to places.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Ray in La Mesa

My addiction to Model A's started before I even new it or had a chance to think about it. I was 5 or 6 when I was awakened every morning to the sound of a Model A idling. Our next door neighbor was an old Italian fellow who grew flowers & fruit so sell at the Los Angeles flower market and every morning about 4:30 AM he would load up his '29 A delivery to haul his produce to market. This went on for 4 or 5 years till he traded in his A for a new '54 Ford Ranch Wagon to do the duty. Since then I haven't been able to get A's out of my system. Dad had a '28 chevy roadster pickup to haul stuff to the dump and that reinforced the addiction and now I still have my '28 FORD A roadster pickup plus other A's.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
tagroff

I inherited the 28 roadster pickup I have from my Dad whose father had it before him. Actually my grandfather bought the truck new. I do remember being a youngster and driving the truck around the apple orchard picking up baskets of apples my brothers had picked. We get the truck out occasionally but not much seem to have trouble keeping it running so hate to wind up stranded somewhere.

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
1928Mik

My Dad had a few sedans and coupes when I was very young. He bought and sold some, then landed a 28 Phaeton in 1964 which was his last. I helped him restore it in the 80's and then for some reason he put it on blocks in his heated garage and wouldn't let anyone near it. I would sneak in and crank the engine over on occasion just to keep it freed up. He passed away in October at 94 yrs old and I got it running again this winter. Now having fun with it and passing my knowledge on to my son. I now have the bug again and am looking for a second A to tinker with!

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
WHN

Got my first Model A in July 1961, a 1931 Sport Coupe, drove during high school.

Have had our 1929 Sport Coupe since 1979, restored in 1981, complete mechanicals done again in 2002.

We are the third owners, before us it had been in a barn in up-state New York, undriven, since 1945. Car is factory stock, never completely apart.

Paint, top, interior, and "all" machanicals have been done. Many awards at local shows.

Model A Fords are the greatest cars I think that have every been made.

Show me a 2017 Chevy in 89 years.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Dave in MN

An elderly neighbor took me fishing twice during the summer I was 8. He was driving a '28 or '29 closed cab pickup. I had a plan and most of the funds earned to purchase the Model A when I obtained my drivers permit. I shared my plan with my driver's education teacher. The SOB went out and purchased it, not for himself but to flip it, before I completed training. I had instant disdain for the man when I found out what he did.

This man was also my varsity baseball coach in high school. I became quite proficient at driving a foul ball at his feet when he stood in the first base coaching box just to see him dance. He used to yell at me: "Gerold, take a full swing."He never caught on I was doing it on purpose.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-04-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
lucky_stripe_garage

My love of cars started because of my grandfather. My Great-grandfather worked for the Ford Assembly plant in Dallas, TX. They had property that was full of all sorts of cars that they drove, or my great grandfather towed away for people. My grandfather always kept his dads 1932 Ford Tudor (I know it's not a Model A) whenever they moved to a new house.

My Model A belonged to a former Master Chief in the Navy. He bought it for $50 in Roswell, NM in 1974 and spent the next two years restoring it. It was parked in the garage and placed on jack stands sometime in December of 1976. He started working on it again in the late 90's, but ended up getting sick and wound up in a VA nursing home. I worked there as a nurse when he moved in and noticed he had a Ford oval pin on his hat with "30" on it. He told me all about his 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan, and what he wanted to do when he got to go home. We would sit up all night talking cars. As his illness progressed, his wife invited me over to see the car and help clean up and organize his shop. I ended up buying a lot of old tools, hubcaps etc.. He unfortunately assed away in 2014.

About 2 months after he passed his wife called me. She said that the family discussed what to do with the car and since no family members were interested in getting it back on the road, they wanted me to purchase the car. We worked out a deal for payment and temporary storage while I was moving. I finally brought my car back into the sun Easter weekend of 2016. I've enjoyed learning about the car and how to fix it and keep her going. My youngest daughter is starting to express interest in wanting to rebuild her own Model A now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Grew up with A Models, when I got tired of Hot Rodding, I got a stock A Model.
Bill W.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
Bill G

It all started back in the '60's when my dad was a struggling attorney and one of his clients offered a Model A as payment for his services. Times being what they were for our family, my dad needed the money more than the car so he turned them down. I went with him that day to look at the car and I think I was about 14 or 15 at the time. I think I was hooked from that time forward.

Over they years I got married and had kids. For over 40 years I have wanted a Model A, but also have not really had the cash to do that because of a then growing family and being the cheapskate that I am, we never did a Model A. I had a lot of fun with a 65 Mustang that I did wind up buying from my dad, which I had for about 25 years. Towards the end, I always remarked on how many people would wave at me and give me thumbs up, just because it was an early Mustang!

Times got worse and we went through a little of a crunch and I sold the Mustang to a friend of one of my son's. He still has the car and when I am in that city, I every once in a while can still take if for a spin.

Another son used to help me work on that car late into the nights and I had a metal bread loaf pan full of odds and ends nuts and bolts. Greasy and some were somewhat stripped, but that box of bolts came in handy as we worked away and needed just that right bolt or nut. My son called it the "Magic Box", and that is where my forum Handle comes from.

For years, not having the money to buy a Model A, I focused on collecting antique telephones, since my other hobby lies in electronics and ham radio, phones seemed to be a natural, but the desire to own a Model A was consistent.

Fast forward and here I am in my 60's with family all grown up and now cash is not a crunch. However, being the cheapskate that I am, I bought a real fixer-upper Model A, which is my Avatar. Got that a couple months ago and even though it has recently spent the last couple weeks getting outfitted with a new clutch, and that resulted in a new (rebuilt) engine, I am getting to know the car very well. I have had immense help from a couple of local club members who have actually been doing most of the work since I still work 8 to 5 every work day.

My wife has been right along with me all the way in wanting the Model A. In fact, she much prefers the Model A to my phones. On the days that I have been out driving it around, I find that if I felt like a movie star with all the waves and thumbs up in the Mustang, I hadn't seen anything yet. People stop me and ask about it and just driving around, people make it a point to wave and give high Fives and thumbs up.

My story and I ain't changing it.

Last edited by Magicbox51; 08-02-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
racingrufus

I received my first Model A in 1963 when I was 14 years old. It was a 1930 4 door sedan with a lot of wood rot and rust in it. My Dad and I worked on it together. We kept the front with cowl and windshield with visor and sprayed it with red primer. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies. I found a coupe body and a pair of rear fenders for it and we pieced it together. We got the engine running and I drove it to high school. The Model A that I have now is a 1929 Special Coupe that is in my avatar. This car was a true barn find. My wife and I were coming out of Costco 5 years ago when a man ask us about a car we were driving. I told him that I liked it but I liked antique cars and my first car was a Model A Ford. He gave me a ladies name and phone number that had an A for sale. I called the lady and she said her husband had died 3 years before and she wanted to sell the car. My wife and I made the 70 mile trip to see the car and it looked as it does in my avatar except it had one half inch of dust on it, but it would not run. I would deal with the lady for a month before I felt comfortable with the price and purchased it. I got it home and got it running and we drove it for a year and a half when engine went out. I pulled the engine and had it built. We drove another year and rear end had to rebuilt. We have been driving it for two years now and have enjoyed it.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
Jim M

My mother and father came from WV and the last survivor of their generation was my Uncle George. I started visiting him about 20 years ago when I finally realized the treasure I was missing. One evening sitting with him while he related stories he was telling me about a Model A that a local farmer had got for a wedding present and not driven it for about 20 years. That sparked my interest and my Uncle and I went to visit him to see if it was for sale. He said he would talk to his wife and let me know as it came from her father. Didn't hear anything over the next months so thought all was lost. Fast forward about 5 years and I got a call from my Uncle saying the farmer said he would sell me the car. I new NOTHING about those cars and had no idea what it was worth but knew it hadn't been started for a LONG time. Did some research on Ebay and hitched my trailer on my pickup and headed from RI to WV.

Next day we went to visit the farmer and take a look. It was a 1929 Roadster Convertible with a rumble seat. Mice had done a job on the top in a box but the upholstery in the car and rumble seat was fine. After discussing the shape we settled on a price, pulled it out of the barn and loaded on my trailer. Headed home for RI and put the car in my garage. There it sat for another 4 years. I would call and visit my Uncle occasionally and he would always ask how the "A" was doing. I finally got possessed and really wanted to get it started before something happened to my Uncle. Engine was stuck so began putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders everyday for a couple of weeks and no luck yet. That's when I found this blog and someone suggested if I had a gravel drive to tow it very slowly and keep easing out the clutch. Next day we hooked it up to my old Ford tractor and started out my drive. After about 3 or 4 pops of the clutch the engine broke loose and we took it back to the garage. Put some new plugs in, a new battery, and checked the points. After about 10 seconds of turning over it popped and started to idle. With all the MMO in there it smoked like a bomb for about 30 seconds but settled down and purred like a kitten. Took a video of driving in and out the driveway and made a trip to WV to show my Uncle. Boy was I glad I did what I did as I lost him a couple of years later at the age of 96.

Car is now in Florida with me and after driving it some one of the rear wheels was wobbling so I started to investigate. One thing led to another and it is now on jack stands with nothing but an engine. We are in RI visiting our kids and grand kids but as soon as I get back it is my fall project to get it back together so I can enjoy the beautiful weather and flat roads.

I have another funny story about the car and one of it's previous owners but my fingers are sore right now so I will wait for another time....kind of like "Uncle Wiggily" the rabbit gentleman for those of you who know what I mean.......lol.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Seth Swoboda

My grandfather had a collection of Model A's and early Ford V8's. He sold off most of his collection before he passed. In 1998 I was a senior in high school and I saw a local classified ad for a 1931 Model A Victoria needing a total restoration. Knowing the Victoria body style was unique I went to look and bought it. My experience so far has been amazing and even led me into the early V8 Fords and I have since acquired and worked on many early V8 cars and a pickup. I'm interested in all Ford automobiles but my focus and experience is 1928-1953.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
stewwolfe

My mother gave my father a 1930 Model A Coupe for Christmas in 1957. While it was never really reliable, it got him to the train station almost every day for 6 or 7 years (he took the train in to New York every day) and we would go out in it on weekends. He was a charter member of the Model A Club of Long Island, and we went on may great trips, and had a great time with them (ask me about the member who bought narrow gauge steam trains, and set the railroad up on his estate). Our Model A looked pretty rough, but I was still in love with it. Eventually the car was retired to the garage, and we moved to Connecticut. Getting the car to the new house was too much trouble for him, so my father sold it in 1967, with me complaining bitterly. I always wanted a Model A, but with a wife, kids, and a career in the Navy, there was no money. Eventually I retired, entered a better paying career, got the kids through school, and off on their own. One day I decided that since I had wanted a Model A for almost 50 years, I was going to buy one. I ended up with a late '31 Roadster, that was extremely unreliable (looked great, but was a mechanical nightmare). I joined a club, and with a lot of advice, got the car to the point where it would go virtually anywhere, and even stop when it got there. Right after I retired from my third career, I found a '31 S/W Cabriolet, which I just had to have, so I bought it. I have since driven it over 6,000 miles in just over three years, and would trust it to get me anywhere. I now spend a great deal of time helping others who are joining our hobby, and just try to add to my Model A knowledge whenever I can.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
mike657894

I got my car for a promise. keep it stock and dont sell it. theres more to the story but ill keep it short for now. it was my grandpas. ill post the video of my first drive in it. I got lucky really good mechanical shape with some appearance needs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9anzJLKks

edit: And by really good mechanical shape I mean it needed front shackle bushings a front spring rebuild a rewire a head gasket and ignition parts replaced for piece of mind. But I havent had to overhaul any major drive train parts. generally any of the work is easier than it would be on a modern car. And i get a real satisfaction putting the work into an antique.

Last edited by mike657894; 08-02-2017 at 04:27 PM.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #16
Patrick L.

My Grandfather went into the car business in 1918 [ I have one of the first Studebakers [1918 EG] he sold] and he took on Ford a while later. My mother ran the parts room and office, one day she never made it to the hospital and I came along a bit earlier than expected in the parts room.
When young he had serial #3 Model A [1903] and a 1907 Model K that we used to terrorize the neighborhood in.
I liked old cars but preferred hot rods and drag racing back then.
I came across a 1934 Stude roadster i wanted to buy and my father always wanted this particular local 31 Ford roadster. Well, he insisted I go in halves with him on this Ford. So, 1975 we bought it instead of the Stude. I've become glad we did. Actually I wish we had bought both.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #17
DennisR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB919ER View Post
Because I like hearing people's story about things in which we share a mutual interest:

What made you decide to acquire a Model A?
What made you pick the body type you have?
How has your experience with the car been since you had it?

I'll be glad to start. I've said before this was my grandpa's car. He got in the early 80s and restored it. I have many fond memories of riding in the car with him and in the rumble seat with my sisters/cousins. When my grandmother passed away she left me the car as she knew the love I had for my grandpa and the car. As a child when the house was full with family I would often take a blanket and pillow and sleep across the front seat. (I'm to big for that now)

I have the what I believe is the tudor with rumble seat, because that is what was left to me, but i wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm hoping to continue to build fond happy memories with the car and my family.
Didn`t realise the Tudor had a rumble seat...........
Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #18
1955cj5

Hey CB919ER....

You need to show us a picture of your Model A.....I like jeeps too but would still like to see your car!

Randy

Last edited by 1955cj5; 08-02-2017 at 04:16 PM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #19
Chris Haynes

I am 72 years old. In 1961 when I was 16 I bought a 1931 Sport Coupe. Many Model A's have come and gone since then. But there has not been one single day since 1961 that I have not owned a Model A.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #20
Malcolm Robertson

In about 1949 my brother (then 14 or so) spotted this old Model A in a vacant lot.....tires flat, one window rolled down in both summer and winter. He had about $50.00 in cash and after walking by the Model A for a couple of weeks got the courage to knock on the house door and ask the man if he was interested in selling the Model A. The man said "God Kid if you will haul it away I'll give it to you". You can't believe how fast that car was pushed out of the vacant lot and pushed about a mile to our house and three days later it fired up and was running. He drive it for the next two years then upgraded to a Chev (of all thing) and I inherited the Model A and all the love and work of having it. I drove it for about 4 years then moved on but the love and joy of the Model A still stayed with me. Fifteen years ago I purchased the 1931 Coupe that I still proudly drive getting lots of thumbs up and smiles. Whenever its parked people ask if its ok to take pictures of their kids standing by it....I always say put them in the drivers seat and show them how to honk the aghooa horn

Malcolm
Malcolm Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #21
1955cj5

I have been an owner since 1962, when I was about 7 years old......my dad brought this old ccpu home, he had seen it for sale on a downtown street for $125....he had the four of us kids put on the title.

It was a mixture of '29 and '30 parts. Mostly wheels radiator seats and small stuff. A 4-speed AA gearbox and boiler plate for a bed floor.

It went to Andy's Model A Clinic for some refurbishment, my brother remembers $800 being spent at the the time. It got paint, a new top, 21" wheels and new tires. Andy made it run and stop.

It spent lots of time in the barn and on occasion we would take a battery out of one of the tractors and drive the Model A. I knew nothing about it. The shifting must have been a nightmare...

But the A survived and eventually came to me two years ago.

Several books, many hours of repair and lots of help from friends and those on the barn and its a pretty good driver now.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #22
Synchro909

Heck, this thread is being added to faster than I can read them all!
After a fire destroyed all of my cars a few years back and nearly took my wife as well, I swore off cars altogether but the love of old cars didn't die. A while later, I was missing the companionship of others with the same interest so I said to my wife (who is into the scene as much as I) that we should get another car, this time already restored, mechanically good and ready to rally, oh, and it must be easy to keep on the road. There was no thinking needed - it had to be a Model A. I now have 3 and I've driven that first one about 40,000 miles, most of it with camper trailer behind through the outback. I needn't say more.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
glenn in camino

Back in 68 I was talking with my best friend, Steve and he was telling me that his uncle in northern Calif. was giving him an unrestored 1930 Model A station wagon. Steve was planning to restore it. That rekindled my interest in Model As and I began looking for a tudor as I had a growing family that would need a safe back seat. In October of 1968 I found a 1928 Model A Tudor advertised in the LA Times. I went to see it and it was running but was definitely restored. I drove it, drove it home, and spent the next 2 and a half
years restoring it to show condition. I scored a first place in the first 2 local shows I entered My life was changed forever. In 2004 we moved from Orange county to Camino in Northern California. I built a large, heated, garage next to my house and now have 6 Model As that I work on almost every day. We go to all the National meets, where I've won many trophies. I still have my 28 tudor and have updated it with all the correct 28 parts

PS. My friend, Steve never did finish his Station Wagon and it was sold soon after Steve passed away Its being restored now somewhere in Southern Calif.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #24
montanafordman

I inherited my Model A from my grandfather. I took an interest in his derelict coupe stashed in his garage when I was very little. I would climb over piles of stuff in his unused garage stall to get at the coupe and just sit inside it (and get filthy in the process). He always said it would be my car from day one.

My grandfather bought his 1931 coupe as a basket case in the early 60s and finally got around to getting it running and having a neighbor paint it when he retired from farming in the late 80s/early 90s. He never had the resources, connections or knowledge near him living in rural Montana to see the car to much of a finished state but it suited him to putter around his no-stoplight town on Montana's hi-line.

My grandfather passed away in 2008 and I stored it at my dad's cousins farm until I could bring it home in 2011. I've been working on a full restoration ever since. I did get the chance to put about 2,000 miles on it and drive it to Bend, OR in 2013 for the NW regional meet before completely tearing the body down for a full restoration. I hope to finish it within the next 3 years.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #25
daveymc29

You can read about my very first Model A in the Restorer May - June Issue The next one is the first on that I actually owned that I could drive.
We Buy a Model A (Part of a chapter from my book) Click on this site if interested, (free)
http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows or check amazon.com David <. Mc Arthur
Around the middle of 1992 or thereabout, my friend, Sid King called me and told me he was having “buyer’s remorse” over a car he had bought. I asked what he had bought and he explained that he had gone to the Blackhawk Auction in Danville to watch the action. His wife had told him not to buy anything younger than he was. Then a 1933 Ford leaped out at him and he says he scratched his nose and ended up owning it. When he called me was the next day and he was at work at the fire station in the west end of Oakland. I asked where the car was and I went by and had a look at it. It was behind a fence, but I could still get real close and see that it looked very well maintained from the outside.
I went home and called Sid and told him if he felt that bad about buying it that I would gladly relieve him of it for what he had paid. Then he said he felt a lot better and we continued to discuss his purchase and what all owning an older Ford V8 could entail. He told me he had already been approached by a couple of people in the Early Ford V8 Club and a parts dealer, so he felt he wasn’t all alone with the only one of the old Fords still on the road. With that bit understood and my offer, he felt relieved and now was looking forward to enjoyment of his purchase. I told him to let me know if he saw another old Ford somewhere, and we could travel together some time. Then we sort of forgot that subject for a couple of months.
Sid is a bit of a collector of many odds and ends and one thing he wanted was a “one armed bandit,” the old slot machine. He had watched some Penny Saver or some such newsletter and saw that a fellow in Castro Valley had several of the slots for sale. He drove over and eventually bought one or two and in the exchange, then he asked about an old Ford near the back of the guy’s property. The gentleman told him he had acquired it recently and he needed to get rid of it. Sid asked about price and then called me and told me he had a car for me.
We went over, just to look, and I returned with a 1929 Ford, Murray bodied Model A, four door sedan, pretty much in original condition, with maybe one re-spray paint job. It ran okay and was a really nice old car, but the more I looked into it the more I felt restoring it to be something I shouldn’t get involved in and it was a bit too far gone to leave it as an original car. Nelda and I joined the Model A Club in Livermore and within a few months I was the Vice President, then President. Not that I was so clever, but that I hadn’t protested my nomination loudly enough and was therefore the only candidate.
So now we had a Model A and belonged to a club and so we went on the tours locally. What I learned was that I had a fairly unique car, not of great value, but it would be a shame to not re-do it correctly, and it did need work. So I was determined to sell that one and buy another that was pretty much all done already, but still a Model A. And because I had always had later cars, these were challenging and fun cars to drive about locally. I watched the magazine that the Model A Club of America, the national club, put out. There I found a little 1929 Roadster being sold by Allen Funt, of Candid Camera fame. I made contact with the man selling it for him and he told me that the car had already been sold. I told him to let me know if he had any others and he told me not to give up on this one. The guy that had bought it may just want to sell it again and he would check. So we exchanged phone numbers and email addresses, while he tried to get in touch with the guy he had helped buy the car.
A couple of days later, my new friend, Paul Sund of Pacific Grove, called to tell me that I could probably buy the car from the man who purchased it a few weeks ago, who happened to live in Santa Cruz. He didn’t want to get involved with pricing, so that would be between myself, and the new owner. I called a number he had given me and a day or two later Nelda and I took my truck to Santa Cruz and happily brought the roadster home. The guy had loaned me a tow bar and insisted that I should tow it instead of driving it as I had planned. So we hooked it up, put the top down and towed it over the Santa Cruz Mountains to Danville.
When I made the last turn approaching my street, the bumper fell off the Model A and it rolled ahead through the intersection and into my neighbor’s high juniper shrubs. That was a total of about 300 feet from my driveway. I had watched helplessly as it buried itself up to the doors in the junipers and feared that the front end had been totaled. The left front fender had taken the brunt of the blow and that was the only real damaged part of the car. I pulled it out of the junipers and started it up and drove it home, totally bummed out by what had happened, but thrilled that it had happened there instead of going over the mountains or on the freeways. This was just bent metal and scratched paint; any other spot someone may well have been killed.
I discovered that there are two bolts that hold the front bumper onto a Model A. They are imbedded in a cast metal part of the bumper. On the cheap reproduction that was on my car, even the bolt was just a threaded pot metal casting. Strange that it had held together for the 100 miles of so I had been towing it.
I fixed the dent and repainted the fender over the next few days and got busy trying to get the car in my name. The gentleman I had bought it from had made no effort to change the title and had given me all the paperwork that he had received. I took it all to AAA and got a temporary title and registration and a list of things that I needed in order to clear the title change. I called my friend Paul Sund, and asked if I could get the title signed correctly, if I brought it down to him. He told me sure, bring it down and he would take it over to Funt’s and have it taken care of. We arrived at a date and time and Nelda and I drove down and met Paul in person, nicest guy down there. He told us that he’d handle this while we went to lunch and that in an hour or so we could come get the papers and be on our way.
After a great lunch in Monterey on Cannery Row, we went back to pick up the papers. Mr. Sund was a bit solemn as he told me that the Funt’s attorney had told him, “We have done all we will do with that title” which turned out to be that they had done nothing with the paperwork. The title was still signed incorrectly and there was none of the other paperwork I needed for Motor Vehicles to transfer it. This was the first of three trips to the Monterey area to get the title straightened out and the car registered in my name. I did however have temporary title that worked and insurance. I even had a personal plate that read 29 SMILE. Funt had had SMILE 29, which I had been told I could use, but was then told “No, they [the Funts] may want to use it on another car someday.”
I really was stunned that there was no apparent way for me to get the title. I thought about it for a couple of months then wrote a letter to the attorney for the Estate of Mr. Funt, informing him that since they wouldn’t enable me to get the title in my name, I was just going to keep driving it in the Funt name and since that was the case I would save myself the added cost of insurance. About a week later, I received a pink slip with the car registered to me, and everything in my name. No explanation ever was offered and I still have the original “SMILE 29” plates that came with the car.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #26
Pete / MA

Like so many others I was lucky enough to grow up with Model As. From doodle bugs to field cars is how I learned to drive. Keeping them going taught me my trade (some bad habits but mostly good enough to make a living).
Now I'm retired and I enjoy being the custodian of my 130A DeLuxe Delivery.
I like to call it "DIGITAL Detoxification".......... Pete
Pete / MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #27
Big hammer

My first choice was a 90% restored roadster pickup, I came up with many reasons to buy it, make deliveries with it, signage for dad's store, etc! Dad said No it wasn't complete. An hour down the road there was this Tudor, we looked at it, drove it, and ended up buying it!
It was a POS compared to the truck, but was complete! That was in 1970, still have the Tudor, not the POS from back then, a work in progress now. The truck only needed upholstery, the man was working on a Packard and didn't have time to finsh the truck :-(
Old 08-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #28
Ernie Vitucci

I purchased my first Model A in 1964 in Newport Beach, California. I was a junior in High School and we had about a dozen Model A's in the parking lot at Corona del Mar High School. The Model A was the only car I owned and I drove it everywhere until I was ready to join the Army in 1968 and then I made the mistake of selling it. It was a 1930 Coupe that was stock with the exception of a tin top. It had been very well done out of one piece of tin with rounded corners and all the sheet metal screws lined up, just so. As a result, I could take it to the car wash, and in those days the folks at the car wash could usually drive it.

In 2005 I purchased another Model A in Fountain Hills, Arizona and joined the 'Model A Restorers Club'. She is a 1930 Tudor that was restored in the 1970's and has been kept up and cared for since that time by several prior owners. She has a Mitchell Overdrive and we drive her all over Arizona both around town and on trips with the Model A Club. I'm retired and can't imagine not having a Model A. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #29
George Miller

When I was 4 years old, I decided to go to the school that was close to our home. A teacher and here husband that was the janitor for the school. Gave me a ride home in there 1928 Model A coupe. I still remember the ride and looking at the funny dash. I was sitting between them.

That is why I liked the Model A's.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #30
dpson

Like several of the other stories here my Model A connection is due to my dad having a Model A when I was younger, however in my case I was the one who found the Model A and convinced him to buy it. When I was a freshman in college I dated a girl who lived in Durham, NH and when visiting her during the summer of 1973 I spied a 1931 Model A coupe for sale across the street. In hindsight it was pretty rough, having come out of a farmer's field somewhere in Connecticut, but to me it seemed like the perfect car for my dad, so he bought it and we ended up stiff hitching it back to VT. It was quite an adventure bringing it home as it happen that there was a terrible rain storm that day and several of the roads we planned on taking were closed due to flooding. We ended up taking it on the interstate, even though it was illegal to stiff hitch a vehicle there, however we figured the police were too busy with the flood to pay attention to us.

My dad restored the chassis himself, pretty much spending most of his spare time on it, and had the body and fenders professionally done. It took the better part of a year to get it completed and it was always something he was very proud of. My younger brother and I drove the car a lot during our college days and probably abused it a bit more than we should have, but it was lots of fun. It had juice brakes from a 40 Ford, so at least it stopped fairly well. The car was eventually sold and disappeared from the area and I often wonder what ever happened to it. The photo above was me with car taken around 1974, when I was 20 years old.

Anyway that's my Model A connection and why I own one today.

Last edited by dpson; 08-03-2017 at 04:25 PM.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #31
Redbird

I used to draw 32 Ford coupes in homeroom while in high school (62-66). I read every hot rod book, etc . in the school library. Henry Ford biography is a good one. As like every other gear-head, I had about 6-7 cars in high school ranging from a 46 Ford coupe, 51 Mercury, 55-56 Fords, 50 Ford p/u, and a 57 Chevy. Then 67-69 Camaros, 67 Chevelle, 55 & 60 Chevy, 56 Vette, then three 62 Vettes. After getting the 3 kids through college, I decide to get a Model A. About two years ago I found a two owner 31 Deluxe coupe w/rumble seat in Pacific Palisades, CA. A lady was the original owner and named her "Suzanne". She sold it to the second owner in 1968, who had it freshened up with original paint and rebuilt the motor in 1972. I bought it based upon good pictures and transported to Austin, TX. The motor just turned 2500 miles on the rebuild. My grandkids in the rumble seat and I are having a blast with it. It shares space with an original 64 StingRay coupe now!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #32
Pinesdune

I grew up around old stuff, my uncle and dad had a small museum, but they only had a couple "old" cars, two T's and a '30 A sedan. I always wanted to get the sedan running but "wasn't allowed near it" even tho I repaired/rebuilt/maintained over 50 old tractors (JD's, Case,Mccormicks, Olivers, Hart Parr etc) But I can fondly remember a few rides in the A, two parades and one cruise. As with all good things, it came to an end a few years ago after some things being disbursed previously (including the A)
I was ridiculously outbid on the last T at the sale, which lit a fire under my ass so with coaxing from my wife I started searching for the A I always dreamed of (and could touch) which led me to find my 28 sport coupe, I love the canvas top and the lines of the car. It's been a joy restoring her and this being the first summer she's been complete so I can now take her to shows and all the attention she brings. One good thing was the restoration was complete in time for me to show her to my Uncle this spring and for him to tell the folks at the home about "his car" (he was always a jack ass like that haha) he passed two weeks ago, and the coupe led the procession taking him "home"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #33
KCTA Chris

I was born in '73 so didn't get to see many around daily. I grew up in a typical suburb 80's family with parents who never kept an old vehicle or would see the point, but somehow American Graffiti reruns, Happy Days and the Shut Down album I needed a traditional hot rod. I always wanted an "A" fenderless coupe but It was too impractical, then while riding a bike at 14 I saw a disassembled '39 Deluxe Coupe and bought it without asking. The basket case was brought home, I caught hell and rented a storage shed to build it in. A local restorer took pitty and let me work on my project at his "An shop in trade for help with some light shop duties. Then “A's” were for old men but I came to appreciate the sound, slower speed, mechanical aspects. As I grew I worked for a nationally known hot rod shop surrounded by credit card bought auto parts and glass deuce bodies, my boss wouldn't hear of Flatheads, “A” or Bangers, no money in it I would hear. I finished college while working for Jim Huesby at his Speedster fabrication shop and fell in love with traditional hot rodding and restorations all over again.

A few years and several cars later I decided to build a mild banger pre-war roadster. As luck would have it the body I planned to use sold causing me to discover a ‘29 truck cab that had been stored since the ’70’s. I always wanted a truck and would be perfect for my chassis. With patch panels orded and body ready for soda blasting when another friend called with news, she had researched the writing on the doors and found the original owners family. Turns out the truck was the Log Cabin Garage tow truck in Odessa Mo. Keeping the patina and Missouri AAA hood decals still visible I meet the original owners son. He told of learning to drive it in the ‘30’s and several photos. After the war started racing at a Kansas City speedway, the old AA tow truck was brush painted with Mason Street Garage lettering which it still wears. He took it to local salvage in ‘55 and thought it was gone.

So that old truck I built out of spare parts now has given me memories of my young boys helping with the build. I drive the hell out it locally and across the state, we turned just under 40k miles in 6 years. It may be the most practical, useful and fun thing I’ve ever built. Yet it’s time for a little update, overdrive, some body straightening, then more miles!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barn.jpg (552.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 198657_2184699667756_2716834_n.jpg (49.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5490.jpg (99.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg o.jpg (85.6 KB, 75 views)
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #34
Paps31

Default Your Model A

When I was a kid growing up on my grandfather's farm in rural West Virginia, he had all the cool toys: tractors, bulldozers, a dump truck, two "farm use" pickup trucks, and old Jeep, four wheelers, an old street & trail dirt bike, a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air and a 1931 Ford Model A.

My pap taught me how to drive on a Ford 8N tractor, and the summer I turned 15, he gave me that old street & trail bike for baling hay (it was a 1979 Suzuki TS185).

But years before that, when I was 5 or 6 years old, he let me wash and wax his two prize cars for parades in the summer. I'd ride shotgun, throw candy out the window and wave at kids I went to school with. Man, did I fee cool.

Pap and his toys are the reason I love cars. And bikes. And just about anything that revs and hums.

As I got older I gradually got into other pursuits. Girls, mostly. And eventually I went off to college; the first in my family to do so. My brothers were older and had already left the farm, so when I finally left it meant Pap had even more work to do. The cars -- shimmering beacons among the filth and rust of farm life and once-glorious reminders of the old man's youth -- began to age, as he did.

Fast forward many years and my mother comes to visit me for a long weekend. She tells me that Pap (everyone calls him Pap) has decided to give up farming full time at the age of 83. His plan is to get those old cars running and enjoy them again. The thought of it puts a smile on my face.

A few weeks later, I ask her how Pap's doing. She tells me he's discovered that two knee replacements won't let him squeeze into the cockpit of the Model A anymore. Aside from that, he doesn't have the money to re-restore both cars, even after selling off the cattle.

He's decided to trade the Model A to a guy for the bodywork needed for the '57 Chevy.

"Trade the Model A!?" I ask in horror. I knew I had to intervene.

I tell her she can't let him do it; she has to stop him. "I'll buy the Model A from him, just ask him what he wants for it."

She relays the question to the old man (you have to scream for him to hear you). The thought puts a smile on his face.

A few weeks later, I'm at the kitchen table with my Pap filling out the title transfer and learning things about the car I'd never thought to ask when I was younger -- where he bought it and when, how long it had taken him to restore it, how crazy my grandmother thought he was for doing it all in the first place.

He bought the car from -- oddly enough -- an old farmer in 1964. At the time, it was a neglected pile of parts sitting out in a field.

He accumulated more parts, pieced it back together and eventually fully restored it.

The day I bought it from him, it had been sitting for about 15 years. I'd often thought when I came home for holidays, "I wish someone would get that car going again." I always thought that someone would be Pap -- I couldn't picture anyone else behind the wheel.

I never thought that someone would be me.

The Model A's been in my possession for about three weeks now. There have been a few setbacks, but slowly she and I are becoming great friends. The day I get her running, I plan to send a video to my mother to show Pap. The sight (and sound, if he can hear it) will no doubt put another smile on his face.

Last edited by Paps31; 09-29-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Paps31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:52 PM   #35
daveymc29

This story is from around 1959. I was a young firefighter in Oakland. At that time we were called Firemen and we were just that, men that fought fires. Anyway, over the fence from the firehouse I worked in I could see what appeared to be some old car with four doors and no top of any sort. One day I saw movement in that yard and ran out and got the attention of some guy that was taking his trash to his burn barrel. That was before we cared about the ecology and instead of throwing our old papers and trash into landfill or the creek, we burned them.

The gentleman came to the fence and we discussed the car to the point I knew I had to have it and he knew I would bring him $25.00 come payday. Like all Model A’s for sale, then as now, “it had run when they parked it, with a new rebuild on the engine.” Though it had been a Fordor Sedan it had now been made into a rough phaeton by his brother who owned a good hacksaw. What I saw was what I would get.

Come payday we exchanged $25 for a piece of paper that said I could have the car and that all paperwork had been lost. He was an Oakland
Cop so I trusted that he hadn’t personally stolen it. The deal was wrapped up. I would pull the car out of his yard when I could find someone fool enough to help me.

Finding that fool didn’t take long. My oldest brother had a 55 Ford truck and a piece of strong parachute cord, some type of nylon line that was very long. He and I went to the Cop’s house. We and a few friends of the Cop pushed the car out to the street and tied the two vehicles together with the parachute cord, leaving plenty of room between them for emergencies; though we all knew nothing could possible go wrong.

My brother leaped in his truck and I into the Model A. Immediately he was in motion. I sat there and watched as he drove a good hundred feet and probably more with the cord getting tighter and tighter, yet I hadn’t moved. Then suddenly I was under way. Boy was I underway. Went from zero to the hundred feet in two seconds as my brother made sure to outrun me.

I thought we had discussed going easy at first until we knew I had some brakes and steering that worked. I guess Perry (my brother) missed that part of the conversation. When we got to the first intersection, he slowed down and I couldn’t so he made a sharp right onto Piedmont Avenue and yanked me around that corner, as once more he outran me, By now I knew that there were very little if an brakes and that it had very stiff steering. Though I was a young bull, I had the devil of a time turning the steering wheel.

The next major intersection was a breeze, Perry drove through the yellow light a good hundred feet in front of me and made his left turn onto Mac Arthur Blvd, a four lane major thoroughfare through Oakland. Of course I was now approaching a red light at half the speed of sound, screaming at cars to stay where they were. They did because they saw a while thread across their path and then I came through with half flat tires squealing as I attempted the turn to follow my brother. The nylon grew back to its normal size as I now began to approach his rear bumper. He drove faster and I began to see a bit of distance between us. He then had to stop for the signal at Fruitvale Avenue. I had no such trouble, running into the back of him and knocking him about half way up to Lincoln Avenue. That is a very long block.

We next had to cross 35th Avenue, High Street and eventually make the turn on 73rd Avenue to Bancroft. Each time I knocked his poor truck through the intersection and each time the Good Lord was kind to us both. He didn’t die of whiplash and I wasn’t skewered like a roast by the steering column of the Model A. We got to my brother-in-law’s Texaco Service Station and had our last collision of the day. As Perry stopped beside the station, I passed him and hit a concrete barrier behind the building.

Other than my brothers back bumper and fenders there appeared to be no lasting damage. We pulled and pushed, kicked and pried and shortly his truck looked good enough for who it was for and the Model A was probably in better shape than when we started because now all the wheels turned and the steering had lightened up as some of the grease finally worked its way over the steering gears.

The car sat there for a couple of months and eventually it disappeared and I didn’t even ask where it went for years. Then I asked the brother in law and he said he thought I came and got it. So it really had just disappeared. Probably best for all involved, except the poor fool that stole it.

If you like this story, you will love my book, “From the Shadow of Coyote Mountain to the Base of Mount Diablo.” Available through, amazon.com http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #36
dumb person

Bought it because i liked the way it idled. Stupid reason to buy a money pit.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #37
hangarb7

I'll make this quick... amazing how there are similar stories.

I was 8 years old and a guy from a near neighborhood drove by in a coupe and asked if I wanted a ride. I hopped in and had difficulty seeing over the dash and out the window (I was a small kid) but I do remember seeing the ground flash by because he had no boot on the emergency brake. I decided that day that I wanted a Model A Ford.

Almost 50 years go by and I got the bug again and after looking at a bunch of cars and joining the local club, I was convinced to buy a Tudor. More practical for me than a coupe, even though I love them all.

9 years later, I love my Tudor and we have a lot of fun with it in the club. I just lead a 125 mile tour two weeks ago north of Pittsburgh. Oh, and that coupe still exists in the same condition as when I had a ride in it, AND when I bought my Tudor, it had no boot on the emergency brake.
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #38
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
I found a '31 S/W Cabriolet, which I just had to have, so I bought it. I have since driven it over 6,000 miles in just over three years, and would trust it to get me anywhere.
Excellent!!!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #39
Fordfan29

My parents dated in a 1928 Tudor. My Dad bought a 1929 Tudor in 1959 with a savings bond he bought in my name when I was born. Therefore I have always claimed the car. It has turned out to be a great family car that keeps kids corralled in the back with no doors to accidently open. Our 29 has been from Oregon to all over the western states & in to Canada three times. The fourth generation is growing up having fun in this rig and hopefully that will continue in to the future.
Fordfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #40
Dave Young

About three months ago, my wife and I were having lunch in a local diner. As we came out, I spotted two old cars in the parking lot. We went over to look at them. Both were obviously restored and were great looking. I don't even recall what make they were but in retrospect, (now that I know a little more) they were late 20's or very early 30's.

I was very impressed by them and remarked to my wife that it must be really exciting to own something like that. Nothing more was said but as we drove home, my wife said "you know, we could buy a car like that and really enjoy it. Road trips, car shows, parades and so on ...." I said "what are you nuts ... why would we want to get involved with something we know nothing about. Besides, I have no idea if they cost $5,000. or $50,000. Tell you what though, just for the hell of it, I'll look into it and find out".

I started on the internet with a simple search for something like 'old cars for sale' and was amazed at what turned up. Literally, hundreds of 'em. It didn't take long to realize that Model A Fords seemed to be the most prolific and the most popular. The more I looked, I found myself becoming completely entranced. I would google 'Model A Fords' then, look at the images ... they completely knocked me out. I knew I was hooked. I checked Hemmings and all the other sites with cars for sale. I found hundreds of videos on youtube covering everything from starting, driving, shifting etc.
etc. and watched videos of huge meets by clubs in California. Gorgeous cars ... Model
A porn! The next step was to find one for ourselves. (I might add that my wife was just as keen as I was).

I'm 81 years old. I don't even buy green bananas anymore, so we decided we wouldn't mess about. We'd get right on it. By now, I had found the 'Ford Barn' and even posted a question about buying out of state, on the internet. Most people were
genuinely helpful but a few were quite sarcastic about someone buying a car without
taking enough time to research things and implied that I must be too cheap to hire an expert to help me. Not true. (My green banana rule) I was sorry I posted the darn question.

To cut a long story short, we found a car right here in PA. A few hours away. A beautiful, restored 29 Tudor. (see my avatar pic) I trusted the seller and despite
having no knowledge or experience, we bought it. The car was delivered and we were in the game.

It's been quite an experience ... teaching myself to drive it (still can't get the downshifting right) Unfortunately, we don't have a local club and we don't know anybody else who owns one. It's still scary and I have no idea (yet) where to go for
maintenance and repairs. Being past my sell-by date, I don't crawl under cars anymore. But I'll wrap this up by saying that we love our model A. I often find myself going into the garage just to stand and look at it. It's a shame winter is rapidly approaching, but waiting for spring will be special this time around. That chance encounter in a diner parking lot changed our lives. For the better, that is.

Cheers, Dave.
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #41
Synchro909

"Most people were
genuinely helpful but a few were quite sarcastic about someone buying a car without
taking enough time to research things and implied that I must be too cheap to hire an expert to help me. Not true. (My green banana rule) I was sorry I posted the darn question."

Dave,
I think everybody who has posted here has at some time or other, had a response like that. Sometimes it is not intended the way it is taken, other times maybe someone is having an off day. I quickly resolved not to take that sort of stuff to heart and believe me, I have copped some dubious comments at times. One guy in particular (now banned) seemed to be unable to read a post properly so came away with something in his head that was never said. Point is, do it your way and enjoy it.
As for no club near you and not wanting to crawl under the car yourself, I'm afraid I'm too far away to offer much help.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #42
TerryO

Quote:
I was very impressed by them and remarked to my wife that it must be really exciting to own something like that. Nothing more was said but as we drove home, my wife said "you know, we could buy a car like that and really enjoy it. Road trips, car shows, parades and so on ...."I'm 81 years old. I don't even buy green bananas anymore, so we decided we wouldn't mess about. We'd get right on it.To cut a long story short, we found a car right here in PA. A few hours away. A beautiful, restored 29 Tudor.
Great story...I love it...

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #43
Railcarmover
BANNED

Split an original running late 31 coupe with the Dad and the brothers when I was nine..they quickly lost interest but in the next two years I spent hours lying beneath it scraping dirt mixed with 600w and pretend driving it. They overrode my protest and sold it for a sunfish sail boat...for a whopping 250 bucks...fast forward three years, after working summers and weekends I bought the deluxe delivery in the picture..a late 31, I drove it during high school, and picked away at fixing it,I remember changing the timing gear and rebuilding the carb. That car kindled a love of mechanics and I joined the Navy Seabees to train as a heavy equipment mechanic, a trade I continue to this day. Fast forward forty years, after an Indian Army Scout, a 51 Ford pickup, a 50 Chevy coupe, two Cletrac crawlers, a suzuki samurai rock crawler and a number of other side projects including Vw's I finally got another A earlier this year..a 29 Sport Coupe..and a nice 31 chassis..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #44
V4F

got old & didn't want to go fast ... thus model A . had one for near 15 yrs now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new paint1.jpg (40.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by V4F; 11-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.
V4F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #45
glenn in camino

I wanted another model A because I had one as my first car back in the 50s. I wanted, and bought a tudor because I liked the body style and also because we had 3 small children that I thought would safe in a tudor. I did a ground up restoration on that tudor, and finished it in 2 years. That was in 1972 and I still have it. It's been on many tours and won many trophies. I plan to keep it the rest of my life.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #46
Robert/Texas

Back in the early/mid 50’s I had a hot rod ’34 roadster. As I was always working on that car I needed another car to get to my job and night school classes. I bought a really junky ’26 Model T roadster but blew the engine after about 3 months. A young lady who worked in the same building that I did had a ’28 roadster for sale. She had inherited it from her grandfather who bought it new. I managed to blow that engine too but got a rebuilt short block from Sears to replace it. I finally got tired of that car and bought a good used ’52 stick-shift Oldsmobile which also served for towing the ’34 to the drag races. When I got drafted I sold the Olds but kept the ‘34 which my father drove to work once in a while. After my discharge from the army I got married and needed the money so I sold the ‘34. I always had fond memories of these cars.
Fast forward to 1988, I decided to re-live my youth. I found a nice Model T roadster and bought it for my 55th birthday present. About 3 months later a neighbor lady had a flood damaged Model T for sale. She was getting a divorce and needed the money. This was my weekend project for about a year to get it running and safe enough for the road. The next year I bought an early ’28 RPU at the Chickasha swap meet and later a ’28 roadster from an anxious seller. In 1984 I got my ’34 roadster and in 2009 I got my ’37 Fordor (clone of my first car).
At age 83 I think I’ve had enough of this nostalgia, (LOL).
Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #47
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
got old & didn't want to go fast ... thus model A . had one for near 15 yrs now
What did you do to get it to sit that low?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #48
Charlville

Most of my story is here, the rest of the struggle is on the blog

https://automotiveamerican.com/2016/...-new-ford-car/
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #49
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paps31 View Post
When I was a kid growing up on my grandfather's farm in rural West Virginia, he had all the cool toys: tractors, bulldozers, a dump truck, two "farm use" pickup trucks, and old Jeep, four wheelers, an old street & trail dirt bike, a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air and a 1931 Ford Model A.

My pap taught me how to drive on a Ford 8N tractor, and the summer I turned 15, he gave me that old street & trail bike for baling hay (it was a 1979 Suzuki TS185).

But years before that, when I was 5 or 6 years old, he let me wash and wax his two prize cars for parades in the summer. I'd ride shotgun, throw candy out the window and wave at kids I went to school with. Man, did I fee cool.

Pap and his toys are the reason I love cars. And bikes. And just about anything that revs and hums.

As I got older I gradually got into other pursuits. Girls, mostly. And eventually I went off to college; the first in my family to do so. My brothers were older and had already left the farm, so when I finally left it meant Pap had even more work to do. The cars -- shimmering beacons among the filth and rust of farm life and once-glorious reminders of the old man's youth -- began to age, as he did.

Fast forward many years and my mother comes to visit me for a long weekend. She tells me that Pap (everyone calls him Pap) has decided to give up farming full time at the age of 83. His plan is to get those old cars running and enjoy them again. The thought of it puts a smile on my face.

A few weeks later, I ask her how Pap's doing. She tells me he's discovered that two knee replacements won't let him squeeze into the cockpit of the Model A anymore. Aside from that, he doesn't have the money to re-restore both cars, even after selling off the cattle.

He's decided to trade the Model A to a guy for the bodywork needed for the '57 Chevy.

"Trade the Model A!?" I ask in horror. I knew I had to intervene.

I tell her she can't let him do it; she has to stop him. "I'll buy the Model A from him, just ask him what he wants for it."

She relays the question to the old man (you have to scream for him to hear you). The thought puts a smile on his face.

A few weeks later, I'm at the kitchen table with my Pap filling out the title transfer and learning things about the car I'd never thought to ask when I was younger -- where he bought it and when, how long it had taken him to restore it, how crazy my grandmother thought he was for doing it all in the first place.

He bought the car from -- oddly enough -- an old farmer in 1964. At the time, it was a neglected pile of parts sitting out in a field.

He accumulated more parts, pieced it back together and eventually fully restored it.

The day I bought it from him, it had been sitting for about 15 years. I'd often thought when I came home for holidays, "I wish someone would get that car going again." I always thought that someone would be Pap -- I couldn't picture anyone else behind the wheel.

I never thought that someone would be me.

The Model A's been in my possession for about three weeks now. There have been a few setbacks, but slowly she and I are becoming great friends. The day I get her running, I plan to send a video to my mother to show Pap. The sight (and sound, if he can hear it) will no doubt put another smile on his face.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you kept you kept it in the family while "Paps" is still around.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #50
37 Coupe

My first old car or actually the first car I ever bought on my own was a 1930 standard roadster.I bought it in the summer of 1964 with my first paycheck at 18 years old. My dad always liked Model A's and it always surprised me he never owned one but always bought Chevrolet.His first Ford was a 1953 and had Fords until his last. I think dad was afraid I was going to make a street rod out of the roadster,think they were called hotrods back then,but in 1965 he had a four car garage built and sorta took over my car. I went into the Navy in late 1965 and he had work done on the car everytime I got home on leave.My mom always said he set goals for when I would get home the next time to see it. Fast forward to 1975 and I with my own home and family dad wanted the car in my garage finally but by this time I had turned my attention to Early Ford V8.Couple 1946 Fords that I restored and always sold for the next project,many others until now this year 2018 I decided that the most fun I ever had with an old car was traveling back roads in that roadster.I did have a non Ford that was pretty good at the back road enjoyment but just not quite the same,a 1932 Plymouth PB convertible coupe. So I sold the PB and bought a '31 roadster,should have tried it on for size better and definitely should have looked around for one that didn't need so much mechanical work but I have all winter.Roadster is a very old restoration actually before mine was restored in the late sixties.Paint and upholstery are pretty good looking and will stay that way,probably at least 56 years old,don't think body was ever off frame. A lot of car people think the Model A hobby is dwindleing but I don't think it is.I went to an estate auction Saturday the 15th,two Model A Fords were sold and I bought an engine.Lot of guys just like me wanting to enjoy an old Ford and kinda veering away from the prices of the 1932 and up Flathead Fords. So I think Model A Fords popularity will just grow because of availability and reasonable prices.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #51
bigd1101

Gramps drove a few and mom rode in them.......plus never had a 1920's car. 70's, 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's...now the 1920's. Bucket list complete.

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #52
Ted Duke

When I was a kid an old gentleman would deliver a bundle of gladiolas to our house every August 29th as a birthday present for my sister (his wife's birthday). He drove a 1929 Model A pickup that had seen better days. I loved it. License plate patches on the fenders, baling wire held up the tailpipe, etc. He was rather poor and just kept it running.

I always wanted a 35 or 36 Ford with a rumble seat. I'd still get one if I could afford it.

Fast forward until 1970. I had a friend with a nice A with a rumble seat. I decided to find a Model A. First mistake. I did not join a Model a Club, didn't know they existed. I bought my 1929 Roadster PU on labor day 1970 and towed it home. After partial disassembly I should have used it for parts and started over.

Worked on it off and on for 6 years unless the USN had other plans and finally stuck it in a barn covered in plastic. About 6 years ago my wife told me to build a building and finish it. Two of my sons and I have been working on it for a couple of years and we are shooting for spring to be on the road.

He might be call RESURRECTION.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #53
Jim Baskin III Pa.

My last son joined the Marine Corp. after 9-11, wife had her own business and I was not sitting home evenings doing nothing. Went looking for a willy Jeep to restore.My father-in-law got wind of my quest and called saying he had a very old car do I want to purchase it from him as he was never going to restore it.I ask him what it was and he stated a Ford Model A. It was a 1930 Tudor Sedan.Didn't even know what a Model A was.

That Saturday I went and looked at her and fell in love. We made a deal And I loaded it on a trailer and brought her home.

At the time I had no garage to work in.So next project was to build a 30X30 garage and finished the car in the spring of 2006 and the rest is history.My father-in-law saw the restored chassis and heard the motor run in over 50yrs. but died before the body was on the chassis,so he never got to see the finished car.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #54
vern hodgson

Friends, as joke tried to sell me, the nerd a model a in high school, springs for seats, no upholstery, no glass, no top. I was hooked, told my dad “let’s buy it, a project for the two of us” he said no. Well, I was crushed could not understand his refusal. Now sixty years later I understand, seven kids, two jobs, he had a plateful. So I had my A’s in the early seventies, big D and they were gone. Now I am in my second (or third childhood) have a 29 standard coupe and enjoy it.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #55
28Ca8149

I allways was car crazy Dad had a Essex ,my first car was a Reo but I allways wanted FordA. The local Ford mechanic had bought a 28 AR roadster that he babyed for 174000 miles.I tried to buy it in 1956 but he was still driving it to work .A year later he said do you want the car? I said l will give you anything You want .He made out a bill for $225 .Some of you might remember seeing it at the North west meet in Calgary Ab l drive it every year ,still very original . This car has a honey comb rad and a plate glass windshield from new .I have #5 license antique plate on it still has the original spare tire
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote