Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Dan Ewing

Default Source for Trunk Rack

Can anyone tell me where I might find a good quality trunk rack to fit my 31 Roadster?

I had one of those Won-Hung-Lo racks and it rusted to heck on me and the quality was pathetic. It was on the car when I got it several years ago and don't know if the manufacturing quality has improved any since this one was made. The rack I have is a feeble knock-off of the one on Marco's Roadster, i.e., the chromed, one piece type that does not fold in the middle.

I have seen what looks to be the same type of rack sold by Bratton's, Snyders and Sacremento Vintge Ford and I would be willing to bet that they all came from the same manufacturer. I just don't know how good the quality is on these.

I would like to get a good quality rack, if such an animal exists or try to find an original one that is in good enough condition to restore it.

Any thoughts or guidance is certainly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
peters180a/170b

Default Re: Source for Trunk Rack

Dan , i know what you mean and i pretty sure 1 manufacture on repro racks. I want to say Vintique? [spelling is off ].I bought a backup rack for my 180A. because don't know when another run "MIGHT" be made. Same manufacture as Roadster but holes are drilled in different spots. The GOD'S were looking down on me when i came across a orginial ,complete 180A rack about to hit the trash. What i did and it cost alot more i had the repro rack replated with a better grade of plating. Let's face it repro racks are $275.00 right ,,, It cost me $350.00 to replate chrome on the repro rack with a super finish and much better chrome plate job. To keep the cost down on the repro racks they flash chrome them [cheaply].So in a few years depending where you live they will start to rust. I have a orginial rack for a roadster now i am trying to save. Solid but somewhat twisted [like my way of judging]. l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
2manycars

Brattons and others sell a stainless steel rack for the 30-31. I installed one on a customer's car, and it was pretty good. The brackets did not line up correctly, and I had to put them in the press to change the angle of the bend, but once that was corrected, it worked and looked fine. I doubt if it will rust.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Dan Ewing

Thanks for the guidance. I'll take a look at Vintique to see what they have and give them a call. I also thought about going the re-chrome route myself. The plating on the repros is adequate to get them shipped to the US and out the door and that's about it. Other than that it's no rack or put up with cheap manufacturing.

I would be willing to pay twice or more for a good rack if they were done right.

Thanks again for your responses.

Dan
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
peters180a/170b

Hate to say it but in my case i was shooting for Fine point judging rack. $350.00 just for the orginial rack to be plated.Then you have the 4 arms to plate chrome $80.00. Then 4 slats for woodgraining correctly $400.00. cad. plating for correct fittings $90.00.2 arms to mount to bumper arms $20.00 paint and my labor[cheap part of restoration].Don't forget i got the rack for free. And i sand blasted too. End of day, your over $1000.00 / Its not cheap anymore.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Brentwood Bob

try bob wikkerink, 541-878-8297.Shady grove, oregon. He is making a stainless steel rack from a zip-a-rack design made in the model a days. It stows under the frame between the bumperettes. I have several made by John Lavoy when he was reproducing them. These are a very strong unit. 400 lbs no problem. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote